Shelby GR-1: The next Ford GT that never was

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-gr-1-was-the-ford-gt-successor-we-never-had/

The Ford GT wasn't supposed to be a fluke, it was supposed to be the beginning.

BY ZACH BOWMAN

It wasn't supposed to go down like this: enthusiasts forced to soldier on in a world without a Ford GT successor.The company's supercharged halo car flickered out of existence in 2006 after Ford built just over 4000 units. But Ford had its eye on all manner of possible successors, including the GTX1, a convertible, and this machine, the Shelby GR-1.

Designer George Saridakis created the first sketch, and it was strong enough to catch the eye of J. Mays, head of design at the time. The Ford team did just three sketches before putting the car to clay, and as you can see, it's a clear ode to the Daytona Coupe that terrorized race tracks all over the world in the '60s.

The concept was built on the earlier 2004 Shelby Cobra Concept roadster platform, and used mechanical bits lifted from that car, including its suspension and a 6.4-liter V10 good for 605 horsepower. Oh, and it's just bone-crushingly gorgeous. Even now, a decade later, the GR-1 is so beautiful it hurts—just like the GT it was meant to supersede.The polished aluminum body panels bend light along every curve and crease, and you find yourself staring no matter how hard you try not to.

Show cars like the GR-1 are no oddity, though. Each major auto show brings a raft of concepts that will never be more than a daydream. When Ford unveiled the GR-1, it did so under a volley of standard PR "ifs" and "maybes", but the company put the vehicle through a full feasibility study. All the suits had to do was say "go," and the GR-1 would have become a reality.

The production car would have endured some torment at the hands of engineers. The wheelbase would have been longer to accommodate a functional fuel tank, the roof would have been taller to meet safety regulations, and the A-pillars would have been fiddled with to meet the extra height.

It wouldn't have all been bad, though. Rumors were thick that Ford would have dumpstered the V10 in favor of a monster V8 with more than 600 horsepower. Weight would have stayed down, too, with a target of 3500 pounds. Those kind of numbers make for sub-five-second 0-60 mph runs.

So why didn't it happen? Blame the accountants. Ford just couldn't make the numbers work. The GT had been a riotous success at the start, but demand vanished towards the end of the car's two-year production run. The automaker had fallen nearly 500 units shy of its projections, and cars pittered out of dealer inventory well into 2007. Ford didn't want a repeat with the GR-1.

Now it looks like our long wait for a proper GT successor may be over. Word has it Ford wants to take another crack at Le Mans in 2016. To do it, the company will need a production car. That means a factory GT program just in time for the 50th anniversary of the automaker's win in France, and the debut of a legitimate successor to the GT throne at the same time.

It won't be the GR-1, but in another reality, it could have been.

Some truth to this article. There was indeed a succession plan for cars post-GT that included GTX1, GR1, Cobra. I think Hermann probably mentioned it when he gave the presentation on GR1/Cobra at Rally 3 in Vegas. As always, publications take the ultimate GT production number being short of the initial 4500 target as a sign it was a flop. GR1 didn't get built because the car market and economy was turning into a total catastrophe. Saying "blame the accountants" is pretty dumb in that situation.

George Saridakis is a super talent and the GR1 is just a beautiful car. He's got an account here but only lurks. He also did the 13/14 GT500.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Awesome to have that car at rally 3!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Just talking with Joyce about this today. We figured out it was at Rally III, and it didn't seem possible that it was that long ago. What a stunner that would have been in a production form of some kind.
We can only hope that whatever they may have up their sleeve now is as striking.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
A variation of the GR-1 would be the logical direction for Ford to go with the new GT for many reasons.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Did we not see it at Rally I in Detroit? I think I have pictures of it with Jamal.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This has all been gravy.

I grew up as a Ford fan knowing they had no desire to make a sports car. The Mustang was all there was after the end of Pantera sales.

The fact they made the GT, and now a successor is more than I ever expected. I'll savor it no matter the form.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
This has all been gravy.

I grew up as a Ford fan knowing they had no desire to make a sports car. Mustang was all there was after the end of Pantera sales.

The fact they made the GT, and now a successor is more than I ever expected. I'll savor it no matter the form.

Same here.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Yep, Frank, it was at R1 when we had dinner in the big rotunda area.

And it did appear again at R3. I remember Jamal taking it out on the track briefly when we were there at Las Vegas.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
That was the only car I would have been willng to swap the GT for.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
This has all been gravy.

I grew up as a Ford fan knowing they had no desire to make a sports car. Mustang was all there was after the end of Pantera sales.

Amen.

We're all just lucky they are still around and have the ability to build performance cars.

Fast forward a few years, I expect the competitive landscape to look different.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That was the only car I would have been willng to swap the GT for.

+1

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005

And it did appear again at R3. I remember Jamal taking it out on the track briefly when we were there at Las Vegas.
Yes.... Indy/Frank, Dbk had the GT-1 in one corner, the Shelby cobra concept in the other then Red, White and Blue in the middle, Daves car was in the middle circle..
Enjoy.
GTJOEY1314

Attachments

• 8-11-2006 5-28-48 PM_243.jpg
    8-11-2006 5-28-48 PM_243.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 8-11-2006 6-57-13 PM_247.jpg
    8-11-2006 6-57-13 PM_247.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 281

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I don't know about swap, but a definite addition to the garage.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
If I recall Jamal drove the cobra (and it smoked a bit) at Vegas motor speedway. The hardtop was stationary, and was at the track and at the dinner / auction, static where we all got to touch and sit in etc. yes both were at r1 dinner, also

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I also drove the Cobra Concept at LVMS. It was not fun. :lol Badly needed a clutch change. But I felt cool doing it!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ron did as well.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Which explains why the clutch was fried.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ha ha!

I only spent at least an hour giving rides in the yellow Nardo car, so I didn't do it.

Last edited: