Shelby American and Penske Racing legend, Chuck Cantwell, drives the 2020 GT

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
When my family and I traveled to Multimatic back during January, Shelby American and Penske Racing legend, Chuck Cantwell, joined us for the trip up to Canada. Additionally, Chuck’s son, DC, drove over from upstate NY and met us at Multimatic.

While we were walking through Multimatic, I mentioned to DC that he was welcome to drive L054 the next time that he came into town to visit his folks – assuming that he could squeeze his 6’4” frame into the GT, that is! Well, because of COVID-19, DC did not make it to his parents’ place in Phoenixville, PA until the end of July.

So, on Saturday, July 25th, I drove L054 over to Chuck and Joanne Cantwell’s place so that I could make good on my promise to DC.

I was certain that DC would drive the GT, but I was not sure that I would be able to convince the 86-year-old Chuck to drive the GT. Ha! I did not have to ask Chuck twice! He jumped right behind the wheel -- well, as much as one CAN "jump" behind the wheel of a GT!

I would have loved to have rode along with Chuck, so that I could have heard the initial impressions of the GT directly from the guy who is responsible for giving us the original Shelby G.T. 350. Because of COVID-19, however, I asked DC to ride along with his dad. I think that it was a better idea to have father and son ride together, anyway!

Without giving it much thought, I asked DC to take his fourteen-year-old daughter, Eliana, out for a spin in the GT. As I was driving home later that afternoon, it occurred to me that I should have told DC to stop at a deserted parking lot, then pop the GT into wet mode, and then let Eliana drive it… oh well, next time.

Here is a link to some photos from my visit with the Cantwells.

Chuck's driveway.jpg

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Nice story and a great car collection

Rstomp

GT Owner
Nov 30, 2019
Naples, FL
Great story !. I saw your car at Multimatic when I was there seeing my car L0071. What a great color. As I recall Multimatic told me you color is one of one !

Reactions: Special K

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Special memories for a special car - congratulations!

Reactions: lc2006

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Nice story and a great car collection
Thanks. Btw, that's Chuck's '66 G.T. 350 in the photo. The 427 Cobra belongs to a friend of Chuck's.

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
Great story !. I saw your car at Multimatic when I was there seeing my car L0071. What a great color. As I recall Multimatic told me you color is one of one !
Thanks for the compliment. L054 is painted in a 1968 Ford color called Highland Green.

Yes, it is one of one, although Mike S. asked me if I would give my permission to allow another 2020 GT to be painted in Dark Highland Green. I consider Highland Green and Dark Highland Green to be rather distinct from one another, therefore I did not think that it was appropriate for me to decline Mike's request. I hope to see the Dark Highland Green GT someday.

06VistaBlueGT

Aug 30, 2006
Hey Lee, that was a wonderful gesture! So very cool he got to drive it. It's a shame with Covid going on, as Chuck lives literally 5 minutes from me in Phoenixville, I have not met him yet. He took his GT350 to the annual Chester County car show they hold in Kimberton (cancelled this year but last year, I saw his car, but I didn't see him to introduce myself). I'll tell you though, if you don't mind a drive, there is a really nice cars & coffee about 10 minutes or so from Chuck's home in Chester Springs (just up Rt. 113). Routinely between 50-75 cars at least (4th of July was well over 100). It's Sundays now (was Saturdays) 8-11 and there has yet been a New GT to show up. You'd blown them away with your beautiful car! And they'd put you front & center if you came by (the spaces were occupied by an 812 Superfast & new GT2RS Weissach Pkg this past Sunday). 👍👍 Just thinking out loud! 🤞🤞😉

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I remember seeing #54 in the holding area on my visit as well. That’s a rich color with a rich history! 👍🏻👍🏻