Shadowman's Experience

Aug 25, 2006
Well; I regularly share that which I have come to know as the result of personal experiences as well as personal opinions from time to time.

In the case of the later I shared some time back my initial feelings regarding the alternate transaxle gearing as was to be offered by Stillen. At that time I shared that it was my opinion that integrating alternate gearing in a gal that was stock would likely produce some nice results however for the gals that have a Whipple or a Twin Turbo setup the benefit would be less.

Now a couple months later I had the opportunity to massage a gal that has both the alternate gearing and Stillen’s clutch system integrated into her. Typically I do not drive another’s gal however I was asked to and to share my thoughts; this request came from the gal’s owner as well as a formal request from Kyle Stillen.

So under the cloak of darkness very early one morning I rolled the gal out truly not expecting very much. Up until this moment I had moved her around the facility and noticed the clutch feel was different but had formed no opinion. Initially it took me a couple clutch engagement cycles to get a feel for its operation and from that point forward I accepted the operation as if OEM. Immediately I noticed that it produces a much better release; meaning the typical somewhat stiff operation of the transaxle (particularly while cold) seemed to be all but gone and then add to this the clutch felt precise. The soft, at times uncertain engagement of the OEM system was gone and had been replaced with a clutch operation that instilled the confidence that it was in fact fully engaged. The engagement is quicker and yet smooth and still allows for a dead stop to roll out without having to throttle modulate once you get the feel of the new system however let me reiterate; you know when and that it is engaged which I liked very much.

** The gal that I drove/exercised is in stock trim **

Now this brings me to the alternate gearing; seamless and as if there from day one are the initial thoughts that come to my mind. I was surprised that within the first dozen or so shifts I not only recognized the difference but also liked it. For me and the way that I drive, first gear is little more than a soft roll out; the point in which I get all systems moving in the right direction so it being a bit shorter was of no concern to me because I never stretch the gal’s legs in first however traveling through second, third, and forth was a totally new Ford GT experience.

I have to say that even though changing the ring gear does not change the gear spilt (meaning the spacing in-between the gears) it felt as though it did. I suspect that this is because by moving everything down a few hundred RPM it placed the gearing into the operational range allowing the gal to remain/play in the torque field rather than as with the OEM gearing where she would spend little time in this area unless her legs are truly stretched. I drive her in excess of 50 miles during which I spent time traveling on local roads where I found myself looking forward to the next gear change; both up and down and then I also spent time on the highway cruising. The gear set was quiet and as stated earlier seamless. At 65 MPH she was spinning under 2000 RPM and felt relaxed and happy.

So how do I feel about this offering by the Team at Stillen; mechanically speaking I think that it is a winner; now having said this I am compelled to add a few things to this comment.

1. I like the clutch because I like the fact that I can tell that it is fully engaged; yes it is grabbier and some would refer to it as “on or off” however it is not; it simply takes as I stated a few operational cycles to get used to it and this is only because it is different than the operation of the OEM assembly however after a few operational cycles it will feel and operate as if OEM. The Stillen clutch does not have a long slow progressive engagement as OEM which IMO is a good thing because the longer it takes for a clutch to engage the more heat and wear that results. Furthermore because of the torque that these gal’s produce the OEM engagement process which is the direct result of the pressure plate design and the friction material used sets the stages for easily destroying a clutch with as little as one less than stellar engagement process. Now do I encourage all to run out and have this system installed; no but rather I encourage you to consider it as a viable option when the time comes for your gal to need a clutch. The only exception that I would consider is for those folks that exercise the gal in a spirited manner all the time and or spend time on the track because in this case the benefits of the Stillen clutch would be recognized and enjoyed immediately.

2. The alternate gearing significantly changes the manner in which the gal moves through the gears; I like it. As I stated; early on I expected very little with most of the benefit to be best suited for the gals in OEM trim however my opinion has changed. I think that in OEM trim the gal will be much more enjoyable to drive; the key word here is “drive” meaning that for the normal get in the gal and travel through town or cruising down the highway she will feel much more integrated; meaning the shift points and the associated power will feel seamless as one move her through the gears. With the alternate gears you will no longer find yourself having to wind the gears out so far to enjoy and appreciate the torque and resulting horsepower that these gals have waiting to be unleashed; in fact with the alternate gearing I suspect (as I did) that you will find yourself wanting to change gears much more with each event producing a smile.

Now this brings to my opinion about the alternate gearing when associated with a Whipple or Twin Turbo gal; my first comment would be that if they were integrated then fricken “HOLD ON” because I suspect that the transformation will be such that it would be akin to being shot out of a cannon. Will traction become even more of an issue; absolutely however as the driver you have command of the go pedal and under the right circumstances the experience would be border-line if not totally scary; I think that I like the thought of this feeling being accessible. The Whipple integrated gals will benefit because extreme sensations will be able to be experienced much earlier in the pull and at lower MPH however the Twin Turbo IMO will benefit to some degree even more so because the by-product of the alternate gearing will be bring the Turbos on line (so to speak) much earlier as such the sensation of extreme power/speed now felt in the 3500 -4000 RPM range will happen at a much lower RPM because the alternate gearing will allow the gal’s heart to ramp up in RPM much quicker as such the Turbo spooling will do the same.

Now let me be very clear that the “Team at Stillen” are not aware of this post nor am I in any way materially involved with their project or products. I am simply sharing my feelings based on some wonderful seat time in a gal that had these systems integrated into her.

BTW: I have discussed with Kyle Stillen the idea of integrating these systems into my gal and considering that she has a Whipple the mere thought of it makes me smile.

All the best and takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey Bill,
Thanks for your informative write up. I must be slow but was the car you drove at stock boost levels? I guess with the Whipple and the gears you'll be looking at some Hoosiers for traction ??...:biggrin We'll be waiting for the next first hand report ..:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Hey Bill,
Thanks for your informative write up. I must be slow but was the car you drove at stock boost levels? I guess with the Whipple and the gears you'll be looking at some Hoosiers for traction ??...:biggrin We'll be waiting for the next first hand report ..:thumbsup

I have edited my post; thank you

Now as for whether in stock trim, Whipple, or Twin Turbo much of that which I shared remains the same because I enjoyed the manner in which the hardware felt once integrated during what I would refer to as a typical driving/exercising experience and then I went on to say the Whipple and the Twin Turbo gals will become a "OMG" when being pushed.

As for the Hoosier's; they are a nice tire and purpose built as such they will not rest on my gal because the risk associated with these tires on the street IMO is far too extreme furthermore as much as I enjoy knowing that I have an extreme "go-pedal" I operate my gals well below their/her ability because I first and foremost reflect upon mine.

All the best

Shadowman

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
So much for buying two more Bironi suits on Monday!
Thanks Bill! Great review!!
Bony from Roma

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Shadowman -Thanks for the insightful write-up. My guess has always been that an otherwise stock GT with the 3.90 gear would accelerate as well or better than a smaller pulley GT with the stock rear. Do you have an opinion on this? :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
Shadowman -Thanks for the insightful write-up. My guess has always been that an otherwise stock GT with the 3.90 gear would accelerate as well or better than a smaller pulley GT with the stock rear. Do you have an opinion on this? :cheers

Yes.....

My gut tells me that the alternate gearing would set the stages for comparable low end runs when compared to the basic smaller pulley swap however;

The market for the smaller pulley market IMO has always been driven because of the associated cost or lack thereof because very simply the smaller pulley IMO is a great bang for the buck when the gal is used only for short gear blasts because past that point the OEM supercharger is being made to spin beyond the design limits as such the efficiency of the supercharger diminishes rapidly.

Now removing cost from the equation I feel that the alternate gearing would be enjoyed by “ALL” and add to this as shared in my post I suspect that it would be enjoyed and appreciated by the extreme players in a big way; aka the Whipple and Twin Turbo folks.

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
So much for buying two more Bironi suits on Monday!
Thanks Bill! Great review!!
Bony from Roma

Huuumm..... my gut tells me that a Bironi vest may still be laying on the table after all is said and done.

So will it be ....... new suit...... alternate gearing....... new suit....... alternate gearing.......

I vote for the alternate gearing

All the best

Shadowman

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Shadow, nice commentary.

What do you think the effect would be on top end speed with the Stillen gears? Would a stock car that ran a standing mile race lose or gain speed in that distance?

Aug 25, 2006
Shadow, nice commentary.

What do you think the effect would be on top end speed with the Stillen gears? Would a stock car that ran a standing mile race lose or gain speed in that distance?

Another great question for the extreme players

Assuming that one is quick with the shift points I would expect a second gear roll out and then during a measured mile that the top speed would be increased because the gal will be closer to her sweet spot.

I would need to run the numbers and look at shift points nevertheless this is my initial gut feeling.

She has extremely long legs in each gear as such I expect that the results of this exercise would be favorable.

Takes care

Shadowman

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Stock car would be faster in a mile is my guess, but it would lose top end. Cars with extra power would probably run out 6th.

In my experience driving the Stillen 3.90s, I was extremely impressed. I would highly recommend it for those who don't intend on wildly overpowering their vehicle.

If the vehicle wasn't easily modified for more power, it would have made sense to include them from the factory. It's that much better for normal driving, and having fun rowing the gears. And if you know what you're doing and you're serious about racing, it's a good thing as well. We were talking about doing a one lap car last night and Jamal said a 3.90 in a twin turbo car would be pretty killer. And we know Steve will run them in the Targa.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks, Bill. This is a very interesting thread. :cheers

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks for your comments, Shadowman! I have the Stillen clutch and Heffner's pulley and tune and I think it is a fantastic combination for $ spent. I love the clutch engagement and it comes with the benefit of more torque capacity as well which complements upgrades to the engine. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
*** Here we go ***

Assuming that DBK is correct and that the gals with the Whipple and or the Twin Turbo would top out in 6th end at the end of the mile then.... the gals IMO will be MUCH faster.

Here you go for those with a pad and pen

The stages beoing set are as follows;

OEM tire diameter and the shift points at a modest 6500 RPM

Let's begin;

** Based on the OEM gear set of 3.36 **

First gear = 63.83
Second gear = 97.43
Third gear = 135.45
Forth gear = 177.23
Fifth gear = 216.37
Sixth gear =264.45

This alone validates my comment regarding the alternate gearing placing the gal's operation back into her sweet spot. With the OEM gearing she will never see sixth gear. In this scenario she is out of her sweet spot in fifth gear but no place to go

** Based on the alternate gear set of 3.90 **

First gear =54.40
Second gear = 83.08
Third gear = 115.43
Forth gear =151.04
Fifth gear = 184.39
Sixth gear = 225.37

Now I watched the fellow run the Whipple'd Ford GT at the Texas mile and as I recall he pushed just beyond the 200 MPH mark and then stated that she was still pulling albeit modestly now imagine for the moment what could have been with the alternate gearing as long as the gear points are "CRISP".

Happy pondering

Shadowman

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
thank you for the info,

look what you have done now. I thought I was going to be done when I put the tt setup on, I guess there is always one more mod around the corner, its just that you come up with them faster that I can install.:biggrin I will chat with you about this.:thumbsup

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Not to sound cheap and ask whats the price but do you have any ideas on the clutch cost and the gear cost? I remember a lon time ago it was posted but the friendly search button is mad at me tonight.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I remember the gears were $10K or so if Stillen did the work in their shop and around $8,500 or $9K if you just bought the gears.

I THINK the clutch was a shade under/around $2K.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
I remember the gears were $10K or so if Stillen did the work in their shop and around $8,500 or $9K if you just bought the gears.

I THINK the clutch was a shade under/around $2K.

The pricing for the alternate gears with the alternate clutch installed at the same time; meaning that you drive/ship your gal in and then drive/ship your gal out is $11843.00

There is no doubt that this will be considered by many as a scope and magnitude project and yet the transformation of the gal is HUGE.

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
*** UPDATE ***

As are most pigs to bacon my gal is now “committed”; however in her case to the alternate gears and clutch setup as offered by the team at Stillen.

I have continued my conversations with Kyle and the decision became final today.

I have purchased the alternate gear set and clutch assembly which is now sitting in their facility awaiting me to tell them when I am ready to have them installed.

Now with all that I have on my proverbial plate at this time it will likely be at least several weeks before she is transformed nonetheless I am already smiling as I anticipate the results.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Congratulations, Shadowman!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Interesting, very interesting. It sounds like another mod to add to the collection.