Screw(ed) In Tire

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Prior to Rally VIII, in prepping the car, I felt that my Goodyears looked a little dicey. Not wanting to be stranded along the PCH, and wanting to go to Bridgestones anyway, I got a set. Rally and a few Fall outings in NJ were fine.

Taking the wheels off a few weeks ago to begin annual maintenance, I noticed when examining wheels and tires, that the right front has a nice, shiny, screw embedded in it. Rats! No way of knowing how long it has been in there, as tire is not losing air.

Question is, now what to do. I see 3 possibilities:

- Leave it in, and monitor pressure.

- Have it repaired/plugged, however they do it these days.

- Get a new tire.

Rally IX and the track day should probably influence the choice.

Would appreciate thoughts on any other options, and guidance on what the proper selection should be.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Bill, I picked up a screw in a rear tire at the Texas Mile. Had it plugged. Never had a problem all the way to replacement time.

If the screw didn't harm anything too much, a good shop ail advise you on their options after inspection.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Bill, first off, where is the screw? Tread or sidewall? If the latter, don't mess around and get a new tire. If the former, it may be amenable to a plug. Not sure I would track it or do any high speed runs, but certainly drivable that way. I definitely wouldn't leave it in there.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Plug will last life of tire

$500+ for new tire is insurance premium for zero risk
of blowout, wheel damage, wreck or worse

Ur choice...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
From what I have read the "correct" way to fix a hole in the tread area is to both plug the hole and patch from the inside. Almost no one does that, but instead just plugs it. No tire manufacturer is going to tell you a repaired tire is good for the track. IMO I wouldn't have any concerns using a repaired tire the public roads at legal speeds, but would never use one for mile runs or high speed tracks. The thought of a tire failure at 100+ isn't too appealing, so I would buy another tire.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It may be that the screw has not penetrated. But, you may not find anyone who will patch a speed rated tire. If you do, you would have to consider the tire as no longer having a speed rating. I would buy a new tire.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Spray the screw with windex (or soapy water), then wiggle the screw. The windex will bubble if air is escaping. It is possible that the screw has not gone through and you can just remove it. If it has gone through, get it looked at, while plugs are good, the shops I have used, much prefer a patch on the inside.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I can only second that. Here in Germany it is only approved til a certain speed rating. Doing it on an expensive super car is little money saved at the risk of a very expensive damage (tire problem at high speed ... no thank you). I wouldn't even think about it.

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Plug will last life of tire

$500+ for new tire is insurance premium for zero risk
of blowout, wheel damage, wreck or worse

Ur choice...
I've never had an issue with a plugged tire on street or track.
Best,
Mark

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I've never had an issue with a plugged tire on street or track.
Best,
Mark

Been there, done that - numerous times I'm sorry to say. First one I caught was literally leaving the garage heading to R1 and hear this click, click, click... Had the tire "patched" from inside with the patches core/ pull piece filling the hole from the "bolt" Unfortunately this as the first of many forthcoming plugs for a few yeas. I thought the tires were actually magnetic.

IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0311.jpg

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Definitely go with the plug/patch option in repairing.

A good tire shop will do it that way.

One product used is a Uni-Seal by Tech International. It is all one piece like a mushroom and is inserted from the back side and vulcanized to the inner rubber. It is good as the tire itself and retains ratings and structual intergrity. A patch only, allows moisture in to the hole from the outside causing corrosion in the belts.
A plug only, does not protect the inside.

With that said though, I would probably replace for track use just for piece of mind.

Jeff

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
To plug or replace, it depends on what kind of driving you plan on doing. If you do street/hwy driving, you should have no issue with plugging. However, if you plan on doing track events or any kind of Mile run, replace the tire. The exact issue happened to me a couple of months ago and the above was what the tire shop told me. They also said with any kind of repair, all the tire rating/safety spec is no longer applicable. Therefore, for me, I opted to plug the tire, for now, until later in the year when I do Mojave, I'll replace. For a few hundred dollars, the risk of a blow up just doesn't compute.

GTED

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

One option not mentioned but used by many members here is to buy a second set of wheels (standard non-lightweight wheels are not that expensive) and mount a set of R-6's to use at the track and the Mile. A patched Bridgstone is fine for street driving and you can use them up safely. I've not had good luck with plugs as twice I've developed a leak at the plug. I've never had an inside tire patch fail and I wouldn't hesitate to use a patched tire on the street.

At every mile event I race with brand new R-6's. I don't trust anything used at 200+ as a blowout would probably be fatal. A 2nd set of mounted tires is nice to have if you use your GT regularly. All the best.

Chip

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I'm not saying you should track a repaired tire, as I probably wouldn't, but the manufacturer of the repair system does claim the tire maintains it's integrity when repaired correctly.

Attachments

• Tech.jpg
    Tech.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 116

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...the manufacturer of the repair system does claim the tire maintains it's integrity when repaired correctly.

...and, if the 'fix' fails (especially 'at speed'), the company will just as readily claim the tire obviously couldn't have been repaired correctly or no failure would have occurred.

'Key word: "claim".

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...and, if the 'fix' fails (especially 'at speed'), the company will just as readily claim the tire obviously couldn't have been repaired correctly or no failure would have occurred.

'Key word: "claim".

EP knows that any kind of repair the hold air will be 100% safe for his use.

Holding the car at the proper height for display in the garage. :lol

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
As this is a front tire, I would have it plugged and patched, and continue to use it for road use.

If planning to do any the Rally, or any track or speed events I would purchase 2 tires (and extra front wheels, if possible) and use the new set for that application. You want to keep the sets in pairs, such that the mileage will be equal on the two tires.

Then, upon returning to road usage, you have the option to remount the first set to get the additional usage allowed by the tire wear.

Front, or rear, I would only change tires in pairs, just like rotors and brake pads.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Gentlemen,

Good advice all. Thank you.

This actually happened to me once before. Had a screw in a rear tire prior to Texas Knowing that the mile was likely the fastest that I have ever been ( or probably will go ) I opted to go the replacement route, and scrambled to get a new set of rears. Made it with just a day or two before the transporter got there.

I think I will go with the repair mode for now - will check with a few local places to see what they recommend - and use the car that way for the summer.

Fortunately, have some time before the Rally, and can get a new set of fronts before the Rally. ( thanks Ralphie ) Also, hope that my car doesn't continue to have a "magnetic" personality.

Thanks again everyone. Really great to have a bunch of people you can rely on for help when you need it. Truly a unique collection of individuals!