Saigon Traffic

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
This is what I remember also. They used to tell us the largest vehicle always had the right-of-way, but that doesn’t look true anymore in this video since the cars are letting the mopeds go through. Never happened like that when I was there. The mopeds had better get out of the way or get run over by trucks, buses, etc. They also told us if we were in a cab and it had an accident to run from the area, because their laws said the passenger was at fault. The logic was that the cab wouldn’t have been there to get in an accident if the passenger hadn’t requested going there.

Subject: Saigon Rush Hour Traffice - Truly Amazing

Things have not changed, it was just like this in '67 & '68, only older vehicles and many more pedi-cabs, Lambrettas, and Vespas (motorized pedicabs). The day after Tet there was not a vehicle or person to be seen anywhere in the city except for military convoys. Mike.
This is really amazing, amazing, amazing Vietnam - there is orderliness in total disorder!

This would never work in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!
To be a pedestrian one needs a couple of shots of " Mekong " whisky before attempting it.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/4phFYiMGCIY?rel=0

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Where is the GT?

Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek Holy sufferin'...!!!

You're right. It just wouldn't work here...AT ALL. :facepalm:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I wonder if there is even one FGT in Vietnam?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I seriously doubt it.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Those left turns look tricky!

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Just when you think it cant get any worse the black minivan pulls a U-turn.........funny

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I was there in 1992 and it was the same. Social altruism. If you peered into a biological cellular unit, you'd see the same thing. Everybody going about their business. But you're right, it would never work here- too many guns and nobody would stop and pick up the bodies.

btw- if that vid was from an intersection in Delhi, it would be gridlock and fist fights (and they have nuclear weapons).

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Bangkok is just as bad, or not worse

Cobraguy

GT Owner
We backpacked our way from the Chinese border down thru S Vietnam a few years back and of all the truly remarkable things we witnessed, it's still the moped traffic that we talk about the most. We were told that in Bangkok there are over a half million registered mopeds with many times more than that unregistered. The key to crossing even the busiest street on foot is to never make eye contact with oncoming riders.... If you do they will assume you see them and you are then expected to avoid them....if not, they will make the move. The first few times you step off the curb blindly is truly terrifying.
To initially test this process, we fed our X-law enforcement buddy copious amounts of $1 gin and had him walk blindly into the centre of a busy intersection ( like the one in the video) and read a copy of our local newspaper that we brought along for just such an occasion. We were actually doubled over laughing for the entire 10 minutes and the locals could not figure out what the joke was. They are an incredible people and we will return one day just to hang with the locals.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Organized chaos.
Thanks for your time spent TO AWSUM.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I was in Cairo three years ago and traffic looked just like that. Same "rules of the road".......no eye contact, just point and go. In ten days I saw only one minor contact....and it was OUR DRIVER!

Howard

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I was in Cairo three years ago and traffic looked just like that. Same "rules of the road".......no eye contact, just point and go. In ten days I saw only one minor contact....and it was OUR DRIVER!

Howard

Sounds like the same technique I was told to use in Boston where a 5-6 lane road suddenly narrowed to 3 lanes. Many years ago, can't remember name of road.