Rumblings

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Horsepower of the new Corvette ZR1 is suspected to be in the 7's.
Would be logical to believe that the taller hood is needed for a larger blower and intercooler system.
Upcoming C8 may get some form of 4cam dual turbo motor.
Anyone have documented info on this?
Anyway, it's a great time to be a car guy or gal!
Best,
Mark

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Psssst, GM. 4 cam is when you want to run 4 valves per cylinder... yes, 4. You see, there's greater surface area that you can get using 4 smaller valves as opposed to 2 big ones. You should probably consider putting the cams up top.... might be preferable over the damn center of the block and using those long push rod chingaderos. (But that was a great idea...... in the 50's!) But then you gotta work on turning all those things and keeping everything in sync and somewhat reliable. Might be kind of a unique new direction for your powertrain guys. Hush, hush now.... lest anyone else catches on to this....

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Psssst, GM. 4 cam is when you want to run 4 valves per cylinder... yes, 4. You see, there's greater surface area that you can get using 4 smaller valves as opposed to 2 big ones. You should probably consider putting the cams up top.... might be preferable over the damn center of the block and using those long push rod chingaderos. (But that was a great idea...... in the 50's!) But then you gotta work on turning all those things and keeping everything in sync and somewhat reliable. Might be kind of a unique new direction for your powertrain guys. Hush, hush now.... lest anyone else catches on to this....

Very Funny!!!!
Merc Marine is getting 1650 shaft HP out of it's 4 cam dual turbo big block chevy.
Just saying that they might be trying something...................NEW!!!!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Very Funny!!!!
Merc Marine is getting 1650 shaft HP out of it's 4 cam dual turbo big block chevy.
Just saying that they might be trying something...................NEW!!!!

Those Big 553 cubic inch Mercury Marine Motors are not Chevrolet. They have nothing to do with GM in any way or fashion. There is not one washer or nut that is interchangeable with a BBC.

They were developed by Mercury Marine for Mercury Marine. Tho they deny it, everyone believes that they (Mercury Marine) were seriously helped by AMG of Mercedes in R&D.

That is why they are so damn incredible, Reliable, and insanely expensive.

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Those Big 553 cubic inch Mercury Marine Motors are not Chevrolet. They have nothing to do with GM in any way or fashion. There is not one washer or nut that is interchangeable with a BBC.

They were developed by Mercury Marine for Mercury Marine. Tho they deny it, everyone believes that they (Mercury Marine) were seriously helped by AMG of Mercedes in R&D.

That is why they are so damn incredible, Reliable, and insanely expensive.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that it was a GM product.
However, an insider has confirmed that the block and rotating elements are similar to BBC in nature.
Thanks for the additional info!
Best,
Mark

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that it was a GM product.
However, an insider has confirmed that the block and rotating elements are similar to BBC in nature.
Thanks for the additional info!
Best,
Mark

No need to apologize, I am just parroting what Mercury Marine themselves said when the released these engines.

Similar in nature? I guess the bore spacing might be the same, IDK. I do know not one single BBC part is interchangeable. That is from Mercury Marine themselves.

Funny, point out how many design features a LS engine has in common with a 1970 351 Cleveland (heads actually interchange) and the GM faithful get apoplectic.

I am a Ford guy (boat engines especially) but I really admire those Mercury engines.

:cheers

Michael

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Still have the original Cleveland in my 1971 Pantera!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Still have the original Cleveland in my 1971 Pantera!

Great to those getting the respect they deserve.....finally