Rock Chips Clear Bra

doug5m5

Feb 23, 2017
Newport Beach Ca
Yay, I found a car after 8 months looking!. Question. I am wanting to drive my 06 FGT but worried about rocks. So what areas should I apply a clear bra to?. Also what is the best sounding cat back exhaust?. Thks Doug5m5@gmail.com

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
while a lot of people may say you should clear bra the whole car, I've had very good luck (knock on wood) of just having the complete front bumper cover done, across to the back of the headlamps and down the fenders on an angle from the corner of the headlamps. my guy even covered every tiny surface around the grille opening area and front brake duct leading edges. you can't even see unless you are really looking for it. he used the Xpel and I'm extremely happy with it. took a rock a couple years ago right next to the ford oval emblem and it took a chunk out of the bumper cover. got it fixed and went directly to the Xpel dealer. I have the Ford Racing muffler with stock ex. manifolds and factory cats on my red car. perfect sound for the street for me. JMO

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I am on the other extreme. I have NO clear bra covering of ANY sort, ON ANY portion of my 2006 Midnight Blue / White stripe beauty.
No covering on windshield either.

I have been to most all Rally's , in the desert , in the mountains, Texas mile with bugs bigger than birds, in the rain at VIR for 2 days.... car still looks great in my opinion. (12,000 miles on the ODO).
It all depends on how you care for it otherwise...

NOW< the new 2017 Ford GT will be a different story...due to design...etc.
andy (ajb)

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I am on the other extreme. I have NO clear bra covering of ANY sort, ON ANY portion of my 2006 Midnight Blue / White stripe beauty.
No covering on windshield either.

I have been to most all Rally's , in the desert , in the mountains, Texas mile with bugs bigger than birds, in the rain at VIR for 2 days.... car still looks great in my opinion. (12,000 miles on the ODO).
It all depends on how you care for it otherwise...

NOW< the new 2017 Ford GT will be a different story...due to design...etc.
andy (ajb)

Andy- are you getting the floor pans done as well as some have already done? seen some pictures of a 2017 getting done with the pans. can't even begin to guess how much that would all cost but then again, better than looking at it in a glassed in case.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just finished my GT with XPel total wrap the entire GT and only double wrapped the front pan only of all the pans. Couldn't see trying to wrap all the pans!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im on gen 3 film on the car, Ive just done the basics, plus about 1' up the door (including scoops). Works well, but still got a few chips on upper fenders, and the "hips" of the clamshell. This winter I wanted to solve the problem, full wrap. The films have gotten good enough, that it is harder to tell its there, you can tell, but not like the older "orange peel" looking films (I have some of those on other cars).

Come to a rally you can hear all the exhausts 1st hand.

Congrats on the car!

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have xpel ultimate (I seem to have lost my ability to add attachment but I have a template if you pm me)...and added fog lights and headlights. I am very happy with it.
I have Heffner H-pipe with all else stock. It is lighter, cooler and sounds AMAZING.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The 2017 is certainly a different animal. However as of now, I do not plan to do any of the underside.
After the Rally in Utah, I may change my mind once I see and crawl under some 2017's
andy (ajb)

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Don't crawl under the Ford GT's Ford is sending out there! Convoy driver told me he hauls some of the Ford GT's to different venues and some are rough on top and underneath!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have had a Speed Lingerie front bra and mirror covers. I have been extremely pleased with this set up. Check their website.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If any one is need of a speedline bra blue with white stripes I have a brand new one for sale

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I had Suntek installed on the front of my car back to the doors and lower rocker panels. On my road trip to Utah(so far) I have picked up a couple gravel hits tha chipped the paint through the clear film. I've driven through a lot of construction zones across the northern US with crap all over the roads. I can only imagine how much more damage I would have without the film installed. No way I would buy a new 2017 and not put it over the whole car. In fact I would look for something a LOT thicker for the underside. I wouldn't care how it looks down there.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
This is what I have installed on most GT's.

My car is nearly completely wrapped with the Ultimate.

XPEL ULTIMATE PPF
http://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio.../Passenger_Cars_and_Light_Trucks/2005/Ford/GT
Hood and Mirror Kit
Bumper Kit
Rear Wheel Impact Area and Rocker Panel Kit

doug5m5

Feb 23, 2017
Newport Beach Ca
Thank you for the input. I was quoted for a xpel full wrap $6,600 installed.

doug5m5

Feb 23, 2017
Newport Beach Ca
Thank you for the input. I was quoted for a xpel full wrap $6,600 installed.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Doug congrats on finally finding one. My clear bra job was $1600 installed here in Scottsdale for the XPel kit that was pre-cut for the FGT. Front end/fenders, hood, rockers, rear lower bumper, mirrors and a few other small spots. I get a little worried about the roof but I've been lucky so far. If I had to do it over I would have looked into doing the whole car. Besides protection, you can spray wash the car without worrying about wiping dust into the paint. I also did my black 65 mustang and it has made detail time 5X faster.