Robertson Racing, 2011

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
I thought I would start a new thread to keep the members informed on what Robertson Racing's 2011 plans were in next years ALMS series.

First up, were pleased to announce that we will be running both cars on Michelin tires next year.

We look forward to keeping you up to date on the going's on with our little team and look forward to meeting up with those who can make it to the races next year.

Cheers,
H

Boostaddiction

Oct 19, 2010
That's great- I know the Michelins will be a big improvement from last year. Are they the customer Michelins, or the special ones that some other teams get?

Enjoyed seeing the team at Petit last year!

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Hello H, Gordon here! We'd love to get updates and support the team.
By the way, the 1974 911 (chocolate brown) I bought from Dick still runs like a top. What a sweet car. Your 3 litre install was first class!

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
That's great- I know the Michelins will be a big improvement from last year. Are they the customer Michelins, or the special ones that some other teams get?

Enjoyed seeing the team at Petit last year!

Thanks for the comments, we will be on the "preferred" Michelins.

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
Keep movin' on up

That is great news, I know you guys feel like the Michelins will have longer legs. With the possible loss of a team ( http://www.racer.com/doubts-over-top-gt1-teams-futures/article/192458/ ) , we need all the good GTR news we can get.

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
Hi Gordon

Good to here the Porsche is still running well.
We aim this year to try and keep everyone as up to date on the news as possible. We are hoping for good things with our Michelins and pro car in 2011

H

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
We had a very successful test of our new paddle shift system yesterday at Road Atlanta. Despite very chilly temperatures (it never did get above 32 and that wind chill!) we conducted a shortened test program with both cars. Dave Murry and Anthony Lazzaro handled the test session in both cars. Both drivers gave the new system a "thumbs up!" and declared it ready for Sebring. Because of the condensed schedule, neither Dave or Andrea Robertson flew down to Atlanta take part in this test. After the first of the year, we will schedule another test to get them into the car and familiar with the new system before the ALMS "Wheels Up" test at Sebring in February.

We have some new pictures of the test up on our Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=471273112010&set=a.471273087010.251994.325975992010

Added some more pictures from the test at Road Atlanta on our Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robertson-Racing/325975992010

Cheers!
H

Last edited:

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
Great to see the upgrades are coming along well, love the pictures on Facebook. Maybe you could get Dave M to tell us the difference he felt in the new system.

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
David is waiting for his account here to be activated so that he can provide some insight into racing our Ford GT's.

David Murry

Dec 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I am sorry for the delay in posting. I just recieved activation.

The paddle shift test went great. H and the team installed the hardware which consists of the compressor, paddle shifters on the steering wheel, and wiring. I had no reservations at all about that part of it. I knew when we tested we would have to work with the software parameters to fine tune the up-shifts as well as the downshifts. There are many options to work with. We can determine how long the cut on the engine is but also how to cut it (electric cut, timing, fuel, etc.). We also have the solonoid to engage the gears and that has options as well (how much force to use, when to engage relative to the engine cut, etc.). I really didn't know how long it would take us to fine tune the adjustments to be happy with it. Then there was the downshifts to work with as well and I thought that would be a bigger issue since you spin if it's not right.

Of course it was 18 degrees the morning of the test but we heated the tires up and I left straight from the shop and we never missed a beat due to the weather. This team is like a factory effort. They are really impressive.

We worked on the adustments and only went backwards once and fine tuned it on the up and down shifts. I started with the #40 car and then moved to the #04 with the same settings on that one to start. We dialed it in so that the shifts were eventually about twice as fast as the manual sequential shifter we used for the last 3 years. Sometimes they were faster than that. The downshifts we great as well. The blips were matching the deceleration of the engine and car perfectly. The shifter levers are very positive but also very light to pull. I use my middle finger (no jokes here) on both up and downshifts. I can keep my hands on the wheel and since the shift levers are attached to the steering wheel there is no confusion where they are in relation to the steering. Turn 12 at Road Atlanta is so much easier now and I don't have to short shift to be sure I don't tug the wheel while shifting.

I am excited about this year and can't wait to get the Michelin's on for a test. That should be next. I hope to see some of you at the track this year.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
David -

Welcome to the Forum. Great first post. We look forward to your posts. Not sure if you remember me, but we've met at several tracks here in the South East. Had a good time at LOG 29 at Barber with you and Burt Levy. By the way - if one of our members, a certain Ron Savenor, ever asks you for a drive - run the other way...as fast as you can. You'll never pry him out of the car! :) :)

Gordon.

David Murry

Dec 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Gordon, I will remember that. I will look for Ron's post. Log was great. It brought back memories of the Lotus Supercar days. Looks like you are close to VIR. You should come to my Track Days in April.

The One

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 19, 2007
Kentucky
Thanks Dave, that's what I wanted to hear. Keep us updated on the results of the upgrades. I think this is going to be the teams year. See you at the Sebring test.

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
A very nice story over at SpeedTV.com featuring our engineer Lee Penn on the debriefing session with our drivers during Petit LeMans.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/proudfoot-debriefing-drivers/

Cheers & Happy New Year!

H

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am sorry for the delay in posting. I just recieved activation.

The paddle shift test went great. H and the team installed the hardware which consists of the compressor, paddle shifters on the steering wheel, and wiring. I had no reservations at all about that part of it. I knew when we tested we would have to work with the software parameters to fine tune the up-shifts as well as the downshifts. There are many options to work with. We can determine how long the cut on the engine is but also how to cut it (electric cut, timing, fuel, etc.). We also have the solonoid to engage the gears and that has options as well (how much force to use, when to engage relative to the engine cut, etc.). I really didn't know how long it would take us to fine tune the adjustments to be happy with it. Then there was the downshifts to work with as well and I thought that would be a bigger issue since you spin if it's not right.

Of course it was 18 degrees the morning of the test but we heated the tires up and I left straight from the shop and we never missed a beat due to the weather. This team is like a factory effort. They are really impressive.

We worked on the adustments and only went backwards once and fine tuned it on the up and down shifts. I started with the #40 car and then moved to the #04 with the same settings on that one to start. We dialed it in so that the shifts were eventually about twice as fast as the manual sequential shifter we used for the last 3 years. Sometimes they were faster than that. The downshifts we great as well. The blips were matching the deceleration of the engine and car perfectly. The shifter levers are very positive but also very light to pull. I use my middle finger (no jokes here) on both up and downshifts. I can keep my hands on the wheel and since the shift levers are attached to the steering wheel there is no confusion where they are in relation to the steering. Turn 12 at Road Atlanta is so much easier now and I don't have to short shift to be sure I don't tug the wheel while shifting.

I am excited about this year and can't wait to get the Michelin's on for a test. That should be next. I hope to see some of you at the track this year.

Hello David, Welcome !! Thank you and H GT Race Mule for the Updates and information. I was able to see the car and meet you when you first ran in the ST. Pete race. I am happy to see Anthony Lazzaro back behind the wheel of a Ford GT. I had the pleasure of getting some personal coaching from Anthony at a local track event. He said he had never driven a GT street car so I let him take Helenor around the track for a few laps !! :biggrin

Attachments

• B& Ant GT 1.jpg
    B& Ant GT 1.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 307

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Hello David, Welcome !! Thank you and H GT Race Mule for the Updates and information. I was able to see the car and meet you when you first ran in the ST. Pete race. I am happy to see Anthony Lazzaro back behind the wheel of a Ford GT. I had the pleasure of getting some personal coaching from Anthony at a local track event. He said he had never driven a GT street car so I let him take Helenor around the track for a few laps !! :biggrin

Brian,
You guys look like a nice couple!!!
xoxo

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha, ha, ha, good one Ron. I've been looking for something to pick on StormCat about. He seems to have pussied out on this Forum lately.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian,
You guys look like a nice couple!!!
xoxo

Hey Ron,,, Sorry if I made you jealous.. Your still # 1 in my book snookums ... Send me one of the Turduluck thingys ....:rofl

Ha, ha, ha, good one Ron. I've been looking for something to pick on StormCat about. He seems to have pussied out on this Forum lately.
Hey Frank ya I miss you too like I miss the friggen cold Midwestern winters ........... :bored

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 284

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good one Brian. I didn't think you had it in you.

H GT Race Mule

LM GT Tech
Jan 5, 2008
Buford GA
Photo of the #04 car on the Roush 7 post shaker rig.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rober...oto.php?fbid=1845356853791&set=o.325975992010

Because of the bad weather last week, we could not test the Piloti #40 at Sebring with Dave, Andrea and Dave Murry as planned. We were also going to run the "mule" car as well. The 2011 racing season is off and running!

Last edited: