Road Racing 2013 GT 500 this last weekend at Texas World Speedway

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Gentlemen,

This weekend I went from Fan to RACER!

Trying to explain this is somewhat difficult. Up until now I have driven my cars with some bit of trepidation. Scared, a little bit, always aware that at any time I could be in a serious situation that I caused and couldn't remedy. This weekend I took the 2013 GT 500 onto TWS for an open track day. We were track testing our newly built Lemons Car so I brought the GT500 along. With this car I was able to try to go faster instead of try not to screw up. Before I have been constantly thinking don't do this, don't do that. Yesterday with a car with lots of horsepower, tons of torque, incredible brakes and decent tires I was able to go out and think do this and do that. It is a completely different experience. The horsepower and brakes make an average driver much better. Any mistakes you make can be rectified by the car. I had a great day learning to go faster and faster. With a few advanced lessons and better tires (Read Hoosiers) a roll bar and five point harnesses this is easily a sub 2 minute car at TWS. The tires alone will do the trick but the others will make me feel better. I would love to be good enuff to tell you in detail how the car had oversteer/understeer, pushed etc but in reality I was just trying to hold on and quit smiling.

BTW- Car only had 1500 miles when I hit the track, I went thru 12 gallons of gas in 4 twenty min sessions. Track average about 9 mpg. To and from the track I averaged 22.4 MPG at 70 mph.

Larry Boatner

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I've always wanted to drive there but dont have a membership, do they ever have time trial events on something for non-members to get on? Sounds like you had a blast, I remember my first all out track day, its the only way to drive.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Daytrayd

You do not have to be a member of TWS. They do Performance Driving Schools and open track days. After you have established your credentials they will allow any Solo certified drivers to participate in open track days. You will be out there with all levels of drivers and types of cars. These days are the most fun. To "BEAT THE HEAT" the track goes hot at 7 a.m. and the track is open to use at anytime till 2 p.m. I was out there in our Lemons Car running 2:25 laps and in the GT 500 running 2:10 laps. There were cars running 1:50 laps. I have included the web site address. Look thru it and see if you can make something coming up. Loads of fun and the organizers are pretty good people.

Larry Boatner

http://www.texasworldspeedway.com

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Larry, were both tracks open? Post a few Lemons pics.
dm

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Any trouble with heat soak on the brakes?

Reason I ask, Motortrend just did the GT500/ZL1 comparo. GT500 wins at both strip and road course but they give it to the ZL1 because of streetability and absence of brake fade. :confused

on d bit

Jul 20, 2008
maricopa az
May I ask what your times were with the stock tires? Did you drive the Lemons Car as well, comparisons of the two on track would be sweet!

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Id like to know this also, I have read many complaints on brake fade.

Any trouble with heat soak on the brakes?

Reason I ask, Motortrend just did the GT500/ZL1 comparo. GT500 wins at both strip and road course but they give it to the ZL1 because of streetability and absence of brake fade. :confused

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Guys,

I am not as fast as some of you so I never experienced any brake issues at all. Matter of fact I thought behind the horsepower, the brakes were the second best thing about the car. I try to drive by the old addage of one foot all the way engaged on either the brake or gas. I found that this car made me want to upgrade the brakes on all other track cars. Yet, again I am not nearly as fast as some of you. I would have to think that the professionals testing for the magazines were looking for anything they could find and did have some issues, how big would have to be debated.
I ran the 2.9 mile track counter clockwise, the same as we did at the Rally, and was around 2:10 laps. New car and not totally comfortable but feel like with any type of sticky race tires and a few more get to know it laps and sub 2 minute laps will be pretty easy. I had alot of fun with the horsepower on the straights. Very, Very few cars there that had the ability to keep up. Coming out of the last corner at about 90 mph and accelerating up to 145 on the front straight was easy. Turn #1 after that is a pretty good sweeper and even with the street tires was very high speed.

Donny, The Lemons car is a 94 Foxbody, stock 302 with stock tires and brakes. We weren't pushing it really hard because our goal will to be finish the race. Car was running 2:25's. Could possibly get a 2:15 out of it if you wanted to push the envelope.
I have attached a couple of pictures. The blue color is the original paint. We took the best house paint we could find and painted it in a reverse Red Tail airplane scheme. Red on front, again with a roller and brush, and yellow on back. We have mocked up 50 cal. machine guns for the headlights and a sight for the middle of the hood. This is some of the most fun I have had around cars in a long time. 4 other guys and I spend time working on it and bench racing. Our first race is end of Sept. at MSR Houston. Our goal is to compete in an honest 24 hour race later this year.

Donnie, Are you signed up for BBORR this year? We missed you last year!!!

Lemons.jpgLemons#2.jpgLemon#3.jpg

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Nice red tail!
Dropped the sign up ball last year in Hawaii. Won't make that mistake again.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Our team is growing! Am trying to be in Midland / Odessa before the end of year for business. I will let you know when.

Larry