Replacement of Boost Gauge on 2006 Ford GT?

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Has this issue been sorted out? I'm the original owner and the boost gauge on my car stopped working about 2 years after I bought my car. At that time the word was that Ford was going to redesign the gauge so it wouldn't fail but had not yet done so. Can I go ahead and look into replacing it now or continue waiting? I've been told Ford has a roving group of mechanics who specialize in repairing Ford GT's. Is this true or is there anyone else out there who can be trusted to do the job right if I don't go through Ford? Please let me know.
--West Clark (williamwestclarkjr@gmail.com)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
AutoMeter now makes the small gauges that are reliable. You have to order directly from them. They do not seem to have them in stock but you can order when they do a batch. There are threads here covering this. Depending on where you are located, your best bets are the GT Guy in Detroit or Kendall at Cool tech in California for actually replacing the gauge. It is not for the faint at heart.

Reactions: Joe Dozzo

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Call Autometer and order part # 880595. I just ordered 2 of them on Monday - maybe adding your order will cause them to do all 3 together. They are build to order, but I typically get them ~2-weeks from ordering.

Have them installed by someone that's done them before - ourselves, Elite Auto (Shelby), or GT Guys - each of us have likely done 50 or more. The binnacle (the surrounding PLASTIC piece that forms the "hood" of the gauges is over $3,000 - so you'll want someone who knows how to protect that from getting scratched while removing the sometimes stubborn gauge panel.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
DO NOT BUY A SMALL REPLACEMENT GAUGE FROM FORD! They will fail at the same rate as the originals since they are the originals.

Buy them directly from Autometer. They don't show on their web page, you have to contact them directly by phone or email.

If you are replacing one you'd just as well replace all of the small gauges at once. They only cost about $250 (less I think) each, and the cost of R&R on the bezel is the big part of the cost of replacing the gauge. Just as well do all of them while it's apart.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
One other thing to consider: I decided to replace my panel with the full set from Speedhut. Part of my reason for doing that was to change the boost gauge to one that reads to 20 PSI of boost, because I have a Whipple 3.4 to put on the car which will push the boost into the 17-19 PSI range, which is higher than the OEM gauge will read. If you think you will increase the boost with a larger supercharger, consider this too.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
One other thing to consider: I decided to replace my panel with the full set from Speedhut. Part of my reason for doing that was to change the boost gauge to one that reads to 20 PSI of boost, because I have a Whipple 3.4 to put on the car which will push the boost into the 17-19 PSI range, which is higher than the OEM gauge will read. If you think you will increase the boost with a larger supercharger, consider this too.

The other and probably more important consideration is the two large gauges - speedometer and tach are not available from anyone except Ford's original batch which can then fail again. If you want a 100% failproof solution Speedhut is your only choice.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

So, did you go with a mechanical boost gauge then?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Well, the gauge is electronic, but you have to install a pressure sensor in the engine bay and then run the wires back to the new boost gauge in the instrument panel. I thought that was moderately easy. While I had the instrument panel out, I removed the center console (which requires removing the woofer and back center panel too), then poked a hole in the rubber boot between the passenger compartment and engine compartment. A few zip ties and I was in business.

Reactions: DakotaGT

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Well, the gauge is electronic, but you have to install a pressure sensor in the engine bay and then run the wires back to the new boost gauge in the instrument panel. I thought that was moderately easy. While I had the instrument panel out, I removed the center console (which requires removing the woofer and back center panel too), then poked a hole in the rubber boot between the passenger compartment and engine compartment. A few zip ties and I was in business.

I see, thank you. So your new Speedhut boost gauge came with a new sensor? You couldn’t just use the wiring from the original boost gauge, and connect it to the new sensor? Asking because I have a 4.0 Whipple and Speedhut gauges too, and the boost gauge is way off from correct, and I’ve never gotten around to addressing it.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
These are the Ford GT Stepper Motor replacement gauges.

We sell these direct for $225 each. ( No Shipping cost or tax)

880592 Engine Temp

880593 Oil Pressure

880594 Voltage

880595 Boost Vac

880596 Fuel Level

Some additional details that you may not be aware of; These are Stepper Motor movements, which are an improvement over the original air-cores. The original air-core versions are still available through Ford ( DON'T Buy these) . The Tach and Speedometer are also still available through Ford.

Marc Erickson
Director of Motorsports

Auto Meter Products

413 W Elm St.

Sycamore, IL 60178

Toll Free Tech Support: 866.248.6357

Toll Free Customer Service: 866.248.6356

( New POC. Call Customer Service and ask for Marc)

My Edits in the ( ).

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I would not call the Speedhut gauges "100% failproof"... When I bought my 2nd and current GT, it had the full set of Speedhut's and the speedometer would - occaisionally - read ALL over the place, way high, way low, useless. Was always ok on startup, but that's the best I could say. Obviously others have had better better experiences - but I've gone back to stock tach / speedo and Autometer small gauges.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
DakotaGT: the Speedhut standard boost gauge works with the output from the instrument driver up to 15 psi or so. To read higher than that, you need to use a different Speedhut boost gauge with a separate sensor. My complete instrument panel with the higher reading gauge came with the separate sensor.

Since your Whipple puts out in the range of 20psi of boost, you need a different gauge amd sensor too. Call Speedhut, as things may have changed since I bought mine 4 or 5 years ago.

Reactions: DakotaGT

bigdaddo

GT Owner
Jan 2, 2006
Neither the Speed Hut nor Auto Meter gauges are an exact visual match for the original boost gauge. Is there a product out there that is? Replacing every gauge with something that doesn't look original and just replacing one gauge that doesn't match the rest visually would be an eyesore, no matter how well it works. Any solutions??

-west

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Autometer replacement GT gauges are an EXACT match to the original gauges.

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Great info here.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just FYI, Autometer made all the original guages for the GT.