thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Prototype PB 1-3
Remember this car. PB 1-3 1FAFP90S05Y400036

imagejpeg_2.jpg

imagejpeg_3_8.jpg

Yes this is the Ford prototype car we called PB 1-3. Production Build 1 and it was the 3rd car built in that phase. This car was used for suspension testing, race track durability, NVH, clutch, and pretty much anything else a prototype car would and could be used for. This is also the first Tungsten car as Saleen used it to prove out the color. Since then ownership went from Saleen to a private collection and was just recently sold to Andy House. This is the only we have done for him and he had us restore it back to its original color from when it was first built back in 2004. All we did to it was clean it up and change the color back. It still has quite a bit of “patina” to it since it was a prototype car and not a car that was supposed to sold in a Ford dealership. Here are some pics of the process.
As delivered to us.

IMG_4549.jpg

Disassembly

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

Chassis part #, chassis build date and serial # (all cars have their own numbers here on the right rear upper part of the suspension casting)

IMG_5518.jpg

VIN located on chassis by filler neck. (All cars have there VIN # here and on the extrusion under the transmission) As long as the chassis isn’t a replacement from Ford Service. Unless they had an inside at Ford at the time. I only know of 1 that we had the VIN #’s stamped into the replacement chassis.

IMG_5462.jpg

Body # scratched into inside of front fender. All cars have a their body # scratched here. Good way to check to see if the body #’s match each other. This has no relation to the VIN either.

IMG_5458.jpg

Post paint. Just like Saleen did it. Complete disassembly of car.

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

Starting assembly

IMG_5394.jpg

Final assembly

IMG_5448.jpg

Completed

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5510.jpg

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
and they are looking to sell for a Huge number I see... Good luck with the sale

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
It must be hard to go to work each day when all you have to do is work on Ford Gt's :lol Wow, great job as always. I guess it's another "One of One"
car. Lucky guys and lucky owner.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Thanks for posting the story and pics, really enjoy reading about these special cars.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Fascinating story. Thanks

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Fascinating stuff. I always learn something from the post of your work.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Great, story, Great car.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Thanks for posting Rich

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Very nice.....love that color without the orange heritage mask!

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
and they are looking to sell for a Huge number I see... Good luck with the sale

Where is this for sale?

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Great thread, thanks for sharing. I always wonder how far you would need to disassemble the car to properly pain it.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Thanks Rich and Denis!

Love your work and really enjoy your posts re: all the special GTs you build!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
can this car be "registered" or is it considered manufacture proto...

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I was considering buying this car when it was for sale a few months ago, but it just scared me away, as I read on the forum that the ability to register it might be in question.. if it sells for 400plus, looking back, it would have been a bargain at 170.

Rich,
once again you guys did an awsome job painting... you guys really are the best.

kurt

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
can this car be "registered" or is it considered manufacture proto...

Yes it can be registered and it is registered as a one owner car right now! Rich you guys did a great job on my car and I have sent it to gtjoey for everyone to see at the Barn this weekend! This car has alot of neat features that will be put into the second gt book that joey is publishing! This car has really grown on me, and I expect to sit on it for a while until someone such as myself see's it's value as I did! :thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Darth,

Your car looks GREAT!!!! I really like it. Rich it was good seeing you in Ontario and Mojave last weekend. Nice work on this light blue car.

Chip

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Reggie and Randy Hasenbush were the main builders of that car when it hit Wixom. We were still sorting out who was going to do what at the time, so more than a few people came and went on the PB 1 -3 build. Everyone really liked the color.