Refinishing BBS Wheels In Original Coating

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Good news is I finally got some Bridgestones.

Bad news is. I suffered some (relatively minor )cosmetic damage to the inside of the rear wheels, including removal of paint where wheel weights were removed, and some minor scratches in random locations.

Perhaps it's the cost of doing business when tires are mounted, but eventually the wheels are going to have to be refinished.

Three questions:

- Is the finish on the inside drum and rim of the wheel the same as the outside spokes and rim? I am colorblind, so can't tell if there is really a change in "shade", and there also seems to be a slight change in texture?

- Does anyone have a recommendation of a source to get wheels refinished to "exactly" duplicate the factory quality?

- I know there is a Thread on here concerning an effort by someone to "match" the color of the wheel paint in a touch-up format, but I can't find it. Can someone give me a link to it please?

Thanks.

Looking forward to Rally 8. It's starting to get close!

Bill

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
Be sure to insist that only plastic tools (like kitchenware) are used to removed old weights. Bring your own tool. I have had this happen too when a bozo uses screwdriver to remove weights and old adhesive. Might consider your own solvent too.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I can't help with a wheel refinish recommendation, but I recently bought new Bridgestones also. I went to every tire place in my area to interview them regarding wheel mounting equipment until I final found ONE (only one) who had the non-contact equipment I was looking for. They did a perfect job of mounting the new Bridgestones, including a road force balance, without the slightest blemish on the wheels. Surprisingly few shops have this expensive equipment. I'm sure conventional mounting equipment can be used successfully by a talented tech, but the non-contact equipment removes some of the skill level needed for a mar-free experience.

Howard

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I don't know about complete refinishing, but BBS does not offer touch up paint for our wheels. The moderator of the other forum has been working on and off for many months to develop a matching touch up paint. My Ford dealer changed tires with touchless equipment. I didn't even have to ask him not to use an air wrench on the lug nuts.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I just went through this, the paint is a part number from ford, but with everything else with the car its becoming difficult to attain, I waited for a month for the paint to come in and it never did. so I just had all the wheels painted to a color of what we thought was close enough, it you are trying to match one wheel maybe difficult, there is no way you can get it like the way it came from the factory, they are just painted on and the equipment they use at the factory is surely different than what any finihs shop would have available to them, you just have to try to match it the best you can, I would say use a good guality auto body paint shop instead of a wheel shop!

andreikoc

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2013
I have used Wheel Enhancement in Culver City for Porsches for 30 years. They are impeccable. I am sure they would do GT wheels.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A good wheel refinisher should be able to custom mix a paint that is a good match. Call your local high-end car dealer and find out who they use.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have used Wheel Enhancement in Culver City for Porsches for 30 years. They are impeccable. I am sure they would do GT wheels.

I enjoyed working with Wheel Enhancement when purchasing a set of wheels for our Cayenne a while back. Found them to be knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
You can actually buy the BBS silver paint. 2 part spray; base + clear. Shop online and google it. I bought some a couple months ago, but I'm not close to the can to give you a part no. right now.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
You can actually buy the BBS silver paint. 2 part spray; base + clear. Shop online and google it. I bought some a couple months ago, but I'm not close to the can to give you a part no. right now.

Amazon has listed in spray can @$29.95. Silver only no clear offered.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is "BBS Silver" paint the same as what Ford put on the wheels? Anyone verified this?

Or is this the standard BBS Silver paint such as used on the Matech competition wheels? And is this the same as our wheels?

View attachment 30002

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I would call BBS.They are very helpful.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Is "BBS Silver" paint the same as what Ford put on the wheels? Anyone verified this?

Or is this the standard BBS Silver paint such as used on the Matech competition wheels? And is this the same as our wheels?

Don't know for sure, but if u paint all four wheels, I bet it's pretty close, if not the same.

stumeat

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2010
Georgia
Also try Wheel Innovations in Jacksonville FL. Very good results.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I have an extra set of optional BBS wheels I am thinking of ball polishing in the Ferrari 599 silver wheel finish. It has just a touch more sheen and what I think the GT wheel needs to really pop. Still looks like a painted wheel, far from chrome. When you see one, you will know it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIdc2YhkG5o

Attachments

• Ferrari.jpg
    Ferrari.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I have an extra set of optional BBS wheels I am thinking of ball polishing in the Ferrari 599 silver wheel finish. It has just a touch more sheen and what I think the GT wheel needs to really pop. Still looks like a painted wheel, far from chrome. When you see one, you will know it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIdc2YhkG5o

that looks really good!

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Thanks for the input guys. Some good info to follow up on.

I went to a local guy who does powder coating. Claims powder coating is much more durable than paint. Seems to have a limited selection of "standard" powder colors available. He showed a sample of something called "anodized silver", which he thought would be "real close". Has a clear powder coat as well, that he would put over the silver, that he said would make it shiny like our wheels. Says powder bakes at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, so I don't think that's a problem with affecting the metallurgy of our wheels. He said he could do 4 wheels for $ 350, which seems so low as to raise questions about how good this process will be? Also said once you powder coat, it is very hard to remove/reverse. I think I might see if I can come up with a scrap aluminum wheel and let coat it and see how it turns out. I would think I would have to do all four at once to be sure of consistency, if I went this way, and wouldn't want to commit to doing this without a demonstrated example of wow they would turn out.

I wonder what the effect on vehicle value would be for a "different" finish on the wheels, even one that is "close" to duplicating the original? I think it would certainly not add value, and would most likely be a negative factor, but just don't know how much? If you think it would be along the lines of the cost of the "true" original wheels, that would seem to be a constantly harder to find and more costly situation. I do have a set of four that I got from Ford a number of years ago, when I bought a bunch of parts I thought I might need someday. Sort of keeping them for the purpose of returning the car to original/concours condition, if that becomes important in the future. Also have kept all the take-off parts for the Ford Racing mods that I've made.

I'll follow up on some of the leads that you have given me Thanks again.

Perhaps can discuss with some of you at the Rally.

I have also located the other thread, and may be able to follow up on that when I am in LA before the drive to Sonoma.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Be sure that important surfaces (center locating bore, lug nut seats) are properly masked prior to coating. Maybe mask the tire seal surface, too.

Howard

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
BBS Refinishing

I would call BBS. They are very helpful.
As Ron suggested, I did just that. I had a lengthy conversation with BBS domestic distribution facility down in Georgia on topics discussed in this thread.

Says powder bakes at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, so I don't think that's a problem with affecting the metallurgy of our wheels.
Not sure of your basis for thinking this is ok.

First and most important directly from BBS, subjecting either the “cast flow formed” standard FGT wheels (Germany) or the “forged” optional FGT wheels (Japan) to a powder coated 400F bake cycle WILL compromise the T6 heat treat of the aluminum alloy used to manufacture either wheel. BBS continues to field this type of question very frequently. They review many rims returned to them for a warranty claim and see the effects of this heat cycle all the time. Their recommended analogy is to subject the wheel to the same thermal environment you would to an automotive hood.

The forged BBS wheels are made from a 6xxx series aluminium alloy, tempered to a T6 condition.

6000 series aluminiums are alloyed with magnesium and silicon, are easy to machine, and can be precipitation hardened, but not to the high strengths that 2000 and 7000 can reach.
-T6 Solution heat treated and artificially aged.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

I realize (as does BBS) the application the wheel is subjected to also matters. Thus, if an owner is making a table with used FGT rims or the car is relegated to a “show car” only status, it would probably be ok to subject the wheels to this thermal cycle. But Ford was very careful as was BBS in supplying wheel material strength characteristics intrinsic in either of these two wheel options on a supercar which could highly stress the wheels in its intended driving environment. And since this is viewed as a safety issue, due consideration should be made. Any welding or re-bending of a damaged FGT BBS wheel will affect structural integrity and just should not be considered, according to BBS. Yes, you can claim they just want to sell new rims to replace damaged units, but my feeling during the discussion with BBS was certainly not a financial one, merely that of safety. But again, every owner can do whatever they want in this regard.

Three questions:

1. Does anyone have a recommendation of a source to get wheels refinished to "exactly" duplicate the factory quality?
Answer- Unlikely anyone can exactly duplicate the OE BBS process. It is a 2-stage process with a light base coat applied, then a very thin translucent high solids silver layer and a topcoat applied. The depth of sheen is achieved by the light basecoat shining thru the thin silver/top coat. The BBS process is very specific and only applied to new wheels which they make. They have no capability (or interest) in reshooting used rims.

2. Is the finish on the inside drum and rim of the wheel the same as the outside spokes and rim? I am colorblind, so can't tell if there is really a change in "shade", and there also seems to be a slight change in texture?
Answer- Sorry I forgot to ask this question, but I would think BBS would not go to the trouble to apply two different colors to the rims. They might, however, vary the thickness of the silver layer to change the transmissivity of the base coat through it to give a slightly different color.

3. I know there is a Thread on here concerning an effort by someone to "match" the color of the wheel paint in a touch-up format, but I can't find it. Can someone give me a link to it please?
Answer- There has been a number of previous threads on the topic of power coating and painting FGT rims. BBS said a good automotive paint shop could probably come close to matching up their 2-stage process, but that’s as far as they went on recommending any painting process. I do not have a link to any of the old threads.

I wonder what the effect on vehicle value would be for a "different" finish on the wheels, even one that is "close" to duplicating the original? I think it would certainly not add value, and would most likely be a negative factor, but just don't know how much?

Interesting question and I believe now after talking to BBS directly I would agree with your premise that “it would not add value and most likely be a negative factor.” I believe knowing a set of wheels on our cars has been powder coated with the attending temperature drying/fusing cycle would most definitely be a negative attribute to the sale.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
^^now that's a great response.