Recently gifted 2 piece Ford GT aluminum extrusion - information?

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
I was recently given this 2 Piece GT extrusion. It is the first one I've seen that is a business card holder, and also the only one I've seen with a Ford GT and centennial logo. It appears like it says "2003 Limited Edition". My friend worked for a machining supplier; and had traded it for some other item he had with a co-worker.

20140929_085700.jpg

20140929_122132.jpg

I'm certain it isn't unique, but it is a great addition to my collection.
-I

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I've never seen that before and I've had several of the originals. the originals were extruded and were from Mayflower who didi the Ford GT chassis. there are several companies making machined ones but I've never seen this one. nice piece!!

Quickdraw

pit crew chief
Dec 28, 2006
Someone at a wire burning EDM machine shop had lots of time to kill. That was probably more than a full day project just for the burning plus programming time. I doubt very many were made.

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Pardon my ignorance, Qickdraw, how can you tell it is an EDM cut rather than extrusion? Thanks for helping point me in a few good directions to try and find it's origin.

-Isaac

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Nevermind, I read up on the process, and made a few calls. Its unlikely it was wire burning, and this extrusion was designed for one of the auto shows in 2003; weather it was for the Centennial event, NAIAS, NYIAS, or the LA show, or some place else, I haven't yet found out. Thanks!
-I

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Nevermind, I read up on the process, and made a few calls. Its unlikely it was wire burning, and this extrusion was designed for one of the auto shows in 2003; weather it was for the Centennial event, NAIAS, NYIAS, or the LA show, or some place else, I haven't yet found out. Thanks!
-I

Was wondering whether the weather was good at the Centennial. LOL

Last edited:

Quickdraw

pit crew chief
Dec 28, 2006
-I

I still believe it to be from a wire EDM. If it were an extrusion I believe many more would be in existence. Is it stainless steel and not aluminum? Is the bottom of the auto outline complete or is it open where the rocker panels would be? What did you read about the wire EDM process that made you think it was unlikely that it was wire burned?

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Was wondering whether the weather was good at the Centennial. LOL
;)
I still believe it to be from a wire EDM. If it were an extrusion I believe many more would be in existence. Is it stainless steel and not aluminum? Is the bottom of the auto outline complete or is it open where the rocker panels would be? What did you read about the wire EDM process that made you think it was unlikely that it was wire burned?

There are no gaps in the metal silhouette, however, the metal is cut in a few hairs narrower below the bumper area across to the mid section of the front air dam. After work, I called my friend who has had it for a decade or so, said he doesn't believe it to have originated from wire burn EDM.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Definitely a rare piece.