Recent Experience with ML63 or X5?

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Wife is asking about getting a smaller SUV to run around in as when it gets cold here, the Shelby and GT dont do so well, especially below 20 F. So I am considering getting a 4WD SUV. My thoughts are running to an ML63 or an X5 with the M optional drivetrain. Internet reports seem good, but given the reliability of folks on this Forum, I thought I would ask. My desire, after performance, is reliability.

Thanks in advance for your input.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I have an '12 ML63. It's a brute. I have the optional power package and honestly, I've only pressed the button a handful of times. It's pretty silly quick even in 'ECO' mode. Nice V8 rumble and exhaust note despite the turbos. Pretty comfortable, obviously a bit stiffer than a garden variety ML-class, but nothing intolerable. Gas mileage is horrendous as you would expect. Reliability has been very good. The only issue that has required a trip back to the dealer outside of the scheduled maintenance has been premature wear on the rear brake pads (@15K miles). Not sure how that happened as this is my wife's car. She doesn't drive aggressively and doesn't ride the brakes. And regardless, I would expect the fronts to wear faster.
Our only major gripe is the size. Too small for us, our two small children, their car seats and all their crap. Going on a trip any longer than 2-3 days is next to impossible simply because there isn't enough space. If you don't have young kids, disregard the last point:)

Attachments

• IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 257

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
New Ford Explorers seem to have about the right size. Larger than the small SUV's, 4WD available, and smaller than the Suburbans, Exhibitions and Yukons.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Do yourself a favor and look at the new 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT with the optional Sepia leather. All air suspension, one of the BEST interiors, 475HP 460TQ.... I *almost* pulled the trigger on one. I know, I know, the name "Jeep" and fast, luxury SUV don't normally go together but go look and I bet you'll be impressed. I have been looking for a comfortable dd and also a car I can blast over (4 hours) to the race track in every couple of weeks. As such, fuel mileage is a factor for me. I have a 2013 Touareg TDI Exec model in route from the Midwest as we speak. Less HP, but 420TQ and 29mpg to boot.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I am a Landcruiser guy. Hard to beat my 2007 LC. Big, but not Suburban big. In 7 yrs never needed a single repair.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We are on our 3rd v-8 (non m) x5, BMW is the only (as far as I know) that offers included service. We have had zero issues. Current one is at about 75k miles, and is going to stick around for a while longer. Even prebought more extended service. If it matters, the latest x5 is on its way.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
bought my wife the new GL63 and that is a hoss... she has had GL550s in the past and if you need the extra room of the ML then it may be an option... have had great luck with our GL series vehicles and would assume the ML would be comparable

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
bought my wife the new GL63 and that is a hoss... she has had GL550s in the past and if you need the extra room of the ML then it may be an option... have had great luck with our GL series vehicles and would assume the ML would be comparable

ML's are smaller than the GL's.

TrackAire

Oct 20, 2010
Wife bought a 2011 ML550 (not the hot rod ML63). Car needed brake pads all around by 22000 miles. Other than that, it was a rock of reliability when we traded it in with 45k miles on it. My biggest complaint with the car was the sterile feel....road feel was just never great making long trips a pain. Also, I always hated the damn cruise control system since all of our other cars had the controls on the steering wheel, Mercedes has to be different with a little lever next to the turn signal stalk. Come to think of it, I didn't like the column mounted shifter...not sure if the ML63 is the same or on the center console.

She replaced it this year with a 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with the Silver Package. Car is epic. Great road feel, the air ride is awesome and the power is very good (510 hp). Pulley and tune puts you at nearly 600 crank hp for around $2400.00. Also, the Rangie does have better visibility than the ML out the sides and more user friendly mirrors (bigger, lol). The interior also is at another level over the ML she had.

The 2014's Range Rovers have been updated and are even lighter so they'll be faster with better handling.

I've boycotted the Jeep/Chrysler line until they start selling vehicles with computers that aren't locked down like a virgins chastity belt.....not to mention there is only about a $12k difference between the Jeep SRT and the 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

Good luck with you search,

George

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Haven't been in a RR recently, but I imagine the aesthetics would be superior to the MB's. Although, the AMG's are a step above the regular ML's. I came out of a previous gen ML350 and the interior was most definitely inferior to its AMG brother.
Shifter stalk does take some getting used to, but since we had the 350 beforehand, my wife and I are used to it.

All this being said, we need more space in the kiddie hauler, so I'm getting rid of it in the next few days and adding another American to the garage: '14 GMC Yukon Denali XL. Thought about going up to a GL63, but the way my wife and kids just beat up on the car, I just couldn't bear it.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
ML's are smaller than the GL's.

yes my post was poorly written.. meant that if you need extra room over the ML :biggrin

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Thanks for the input. I will have to check them out. Glad to hear there are no bad stories amongst our brotherhood. I would explore the Range Rover but had a close friend in Houston who had one that gave him nothing but trouble, plus there are no dealers within 180 miles of where I live. I am sure they have improved their reliability since their ownership change, but the service remoteness is a killer.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well guys I guess it's time I mention I just purchased a 2014 Ford Expedition El Limited in my color (white) and I love it. When I sold my Dealership in 2008 I purchased an Expedition and put 106,365 miles on it. I remember as a dealer telling customers "You better trade it, you may start having trouble with it". Ha, Ha. I'm a true Ford man all the way and in Texas I enjoy a good road vehicle as I pull a dog trailer and my Trailex quite often. Under 2000 RPM's (68-72mph) on highway I get 19-20 mpg which I think is very good for a big vehicle such as the Expedition. Really, I'm just trying to push my Ford stock up and with the new Mustang announcement yesterday it's working! To each his own. Enjoying my ride. Tomy

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Tomy. I relate to your love of Expeditions. We have a King Ranch and love it. Its the sixth Expedition we have had since they came out in '97. The ML63 or X5 is for me when the weather gets bad around here, like today. Ten inches of snow and it is still coming down.(I know "why do you need a 500 HP SUV for the snow?"…because they make one!) My GT500 and GT don't venture out in this stuff and if wife and I have different places to go, I need another vehicle. If Ford made a small SUV that was fun to drive and had power to spare I would not look further. They don't, hence the look at the "performance" SUVs. Land Rover is not in the area and I have never been much of a Mopar guy since I had a '68 Barracuda that had reliability issues.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Well, maybe instead of 500hp in the snow, you need 406 ft lb of torque in the snow. Porsche Cayenne or VW Touareg TDI...same engine and 8 speed automatic. AWD. Hauls assssss and 29 mpg hwy. Zero defects in 15k miles for me. Only car I've ever had that I can say that.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Do yourself a favor and look at the new 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT with the optional Sepia leather. All air suspension, one of the BEST interiors, 475HP 460TQ.... I *almost* pulled the trigger on one. I know, I know, the name "Jeep" and fast, luxury SUV don't normally go together but go look and I bet you'll be impressed. I have been looking for a comfortable dd and also a car I can blast over (4 hours) to the race track in every couple of weeks. As such, fuel mileage is a factor for me. I have a 2013 Touareg TDI Exec model in route from the Midwest as we speak. Less HP, but 420TQ and 29mpg to boot.

I'll second this comment. I have a 2012 GC SRT and I love it. Well made, very quick and great value.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Well, maybe instead of 500hp in the snow, you need 406 ft lb of torque in the snow. Porsche Cayenne or VW Touareg TDI...same engine and 8 speed automatic. AWD. Hauls assssss and 29 mpg hwy. Zero defects in 15k miles for me. Only car I've ever had that I can say that.

Both the ML63 and X5M make more torque than the Cayenne or Touareg diesel. That gas mileage is tough to beat though. I get about 12 mpg mostly highway in my Cayenne Turbo.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Bought my wife an ML350 Bluetech. Great fuel mileage, but it ends there. This is her 3rd ML and the last. Nothing but software issues and stupid failures. I would have bought the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it wasn't around last June. I hate this ML350 and so does she.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
In semi-related news, ML63 was put on a transport to its new owner earlier this week. Decided against the Yukon and went with this instead. Performance-wise, it's not even on the same planet as the AMG, but it's more practical for us with 2 small kids.

Here with it's older, sportier brother.

If you need a sporty winter vehicle and are not lugging around small kids and all their crap, hard to top the Merc.