Rally V-Counterpoint

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I like Stormcat's idea for Florida. Another location that is more accessible from most of the U.S. for everyone is Birmingham, AL. Barber Motorsports Park is just a few miles east of Downtown and is probably the most spectacular track to visit in the U.S. It houses a museum, artwork and has a layout similar to Texas World:

2.38 mile road racing circuit
16 turns
45’ wide
80’ elevation change
4-tiered paved paddock

Just northeast of downtown you will find some awesome roads for the roadtrip. There are plenty of hotels, restaurants, museums dedicated to aviation and motorsports. And the location is fairly central, plus Birmingham is cheaper than most other major markets.

Attachments

• Barber.jpg
    Barber.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 398

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
next Rally

The Birmingham track is gorgeous, a fun track to drive, and since its nearly brand new and hosts many events its in pristine condition.

I'd second the vote to go there!

REDEEMED

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Have been to this place and is the nicest facility in the USA for sure.
And the museum is one of the best as well

Not my favorite road circuit as it was designed for motorcycles.
It has tight corners and switch-back straight-aways.

Would be fine for our kind of FGT track day.
But does not have the same kind of driving rhythm I prefer.

But the Grounds are a must see. Huge Steel and glass sculptures cover the park like atmosphere. Manicured like a first rate golf club.

All stainless and glass buildings. With iron gates fabricated in a motorsports theme by true Artisans.

SVT actually did some FGT development work there.

Just be ready, if you get a wheel off, you will receive an invoice for sod repair.
Same goes if you scratch the guardrail.
Trust me we know how this works.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Tim-

This sounds like an exciting venue as well as Stormy's bid for Miami. I am in where ever Dave finally chooses.

Since there appears so much speculation, anticipation and interest in our next venue, perhaps Dave or Chip could post a canvassing survey like we did last year to narrow the focus.

Both Alabama, Florida, Virginia and/or North Carolina would be great!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Tim-

This sounds like an exciting venue as well as Stormy's bid for Miami. I am in where ever Dave finally chooses.

Since there appears so much speculation, anticipation and interest in our next venue, perhaps Dave or Chip could post a canvassing survey like we did last year to narrow the focus.

Both Alabama, Florida, Virginia and/or North Carolina would be great!

Let the Lobbying begin. I figure it is only fair to have an East Coast event. I now have a fondness for Texas, so I agree any of the above would be great!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Next year.

Gentlemen,

While I am reasonably certain next year's event will be on the East Coast, there will be no survey taken for at least for a couple months. I put a lot of time into Rally IV and I'm tired. But for every hour I put in, DBK probably put in 100 hours. He had very little sleep before and during that event and is now under the weather. I can't imagine him wanting to start even thinking about Rally V for a while. El Presidente needs to take a break, rest up, and recharge. Rally V will happen and it'll be a great time but for now, I'll be spending a lot more time on my real job and I imagine Dave will be doing the same thing. It was great seeing you in Texas.

Chip

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Guys I agree , but you are missing the main point about a Miami venue. There are many great race tracks in this country and I hope to see them all, Road America could be added to the list.

But there are only a few locations that also have a airstrip in the same area. I think that many of the guys had as much fun or more fun at the Texas mile than the road course. There are many guys who have never Driven their GT's to the 200 MPH mark. I think deep inside everyone wants to do it once. I know I did and the Miami Air strip is the place to do it. So the real question is " Is there more desire to go fast in a straight line or around the curves at a road course". You can do both here... :biggrin

I hear Chip and I concur that Dave needs a rest !! The only reason I made the post was because I had a lot of time to think on my drive back and I wanted to post my thoughts while they were fresh in my mind.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Chip, thanks for the insight and a rest is certainly well deserved for all the rally planners.

We can again begin discussions of our next rally at the appropriate time after Dave recovers!

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
My Vote would be for some where a little COOLER :biggrin

Vegas was HOT... Austin was HOT...

We have to do this for DBK as he burns really easy :willy

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I have missed all the Rally's:frown, so if it is anywhere on the East coast I am IN!!!!:cheers

John

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My Vote would be for some where a little COOLER :biggrin

Vegas was HOT... Austin was HOT...

We have to do this for DBK as he burns really easy :willy

NorCal is cool most of the year.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
L A G U N A_____S E C A

Carmel
Pebble Beach

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Pinecliffe, Colorado?

Seriously lol, I'm looking forward to attending next year. I can't wait for it to be hosted by Las Vegas again. I'm just that kinda dude I guess...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
L A G U N A_____S E C A

Carmel
Pebble Beach

Maybe things have changed, but in the past it was very hard to get track days at Laguna Seca and the noise limits would be too strict for all but stock GTs. Sears Point and Wine country would be a better bet. I think Shadowman and Ed Sims would go for that.

Just think of an aerial photo of 100 FGT crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. The most notable bridge in the USA combined with the 100 examples of the best car ever produced by a US manufacturer! If we could time that with fleet week and have the US Navy ships below and the Blue Angels above, that would be awesome.

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
1) For our GTs, itwould be hard to do better than Virginia International Raceway (VIR) full 3.27 mile course near Danville, VA. The front (3000 ft) and back (4000 ft) straights will easily allow 140-150 mph. The track has everything, including 130 ft of elevation change. It was designed for high hp cars. There is a reason C&D uses it for its annual Lightning Lap.

That being said, not much else around VIR, unless you want to spend some time at B&Bs and mountain roads to the north and west. VIR is about 1 hour drive (60+ miles) from Greensboro and a little more from Raleigh, NC. Very nice accomodations on site with garages.

2) Another option is Charlotte, NC. Carolina Motorsport Park is just south of Charlotte and has a 2.3 mile track which has lots of run off. Additionally, we could drive at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte on an oval...something I have always wanted to do. So, I think Charlotte would have a lot to offer the Rallye attendees.

But the best track experience will be VIR!! I cannot imagine anyone regretting driving their GT at VIR.

JKR

GT Owner
There are many guys who have never Driven their GT's to the 200 MPH mark. I think deep inside everyone wants to do it once. I know I did and the Miami Air strip is the place to do it..

I must agree with Stormcat on this one..I've had my share of track days in many different courses, but had allways dreamed of going over 200mph. I finally got the chance to do it in a safe enviroment at this airport location in my pully/tuned GT. I got to tell you guys for me "it was an the experiance of lifetime" 201mph yeeeaaa !:rofl

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
the noise limits would be too strict for all but stock GTs.

Great point.......I'll never work

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
And we have been to Cali already..... (I am an east coaster :lol)

Great point.......I'll never work

Yes VIR Would be fantastic. It really is a GREAT track. Yes there is not ANYTHING near by. Also if anyone wanted to do some oval racing, South Boston Speedway, Richmond, as well as a few others are close by..... (just kidding on the oval....)

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
the best place to have next years rally would be the Mojave Mile in March at the Mojave Air and Space port across the street from Edwards AFB. Willow Springs raceway is just 20 miles from Mojave Air and Space Port. since the Mojave has two runways; people like Floridaho Chris and Peak Completions could just fly their jets right in to the race track and Chip Beck could do some aerobatics for us and take the lucky winner of a drawing for a ride he would never forget. so there are two days of events right there. the third day could be done at Willow Springs raceway which is a very fast road course. TallCarGuy could run that day for us. then the 4th day could be a visit to Edwards AFB for a tour. all of this is just 1 hour north of LA and there a few hotels in around Mojave Air and Space Port/Edwards AFB as well as Willow Springs Raceway.

no heat, no rain, no bugs and no rocks in the pits......

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
the best place to have next years rally would be the Mojave Mile in March at the Mojave Air and Space port across the street from Edwards AFB. Willow Springs raceway is just 20 miles from Mojave Air and Space Port. since the Mojave has two runways; people like Floridaho Chris and Peak Completions could just fly their jets right in to the race track and Chip Beck could do some aerobatics for us and take the lucky winner of a drawing for a ride he would never forget. so there are two days of events right there. the third day could be done at Willow Springs raceway which is a very fast road course. TallCarGuy could run that day for us. then the 4th day could be a visit to Edwards AFB for a tour. all of this is just 1 hour north of LA and there a few hotels in around Mojave Air and Space Port/Edwards AFB as well as Willow Springs Raceway.

no heat, no rain, no bugs and no rocks in the pits......

I like it! :thumbsup :biggrin