RAlly 8 - Panic Time - Murphy almost got me!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Rally 8 - Panic Time - Murphy almost got me!

I got the call yesterday that Passport would be here tomorrow to pick up my car. Drove it a little last night and when I went to pull it out and give it a final once over this morning, it would not start!!! Adrenalin rush....... No gauges..... Dome light works. Got out my CTEK and plugged it in and it read like the battery was 3/4 charged. All kinds of random thoughts. Bad module somewhere.... ??

So I decided to do something moderately crazy and called BigInch Blake. Good ole Blake. Great to talk to. Helped me work through it probably was the battery and I disconnected it an hooked the car up to another battery and things worked well. Yea!! Know the problem!

Boo. Where I live, can i find a replacement battery today?? Look at the Forum and see Nota4RE recommends a Sears Platinum Die Hard 75/86 as the go-to replacement for the Optima. Go online and Sears in Springfield has one. Drive up there and get the battery and install it.

Murphy again.... Tub does not go in. Dumb me did not check the battery height. Call Kendall and he tells me what to check for as tub fit goes. Great advice. Nope, its not my install as the battery is in and screwed down tight and the car starts fine. All is well, except the trunk tub wont go in and the trunk lid wont close. Do I really need the trunk for the Rally????? Hmmm....

Call Sears and they tell me that the original 75/86 attery has been replaced. The go-to battery used by Kendall and others is no longer made and its replacement, which came up when I clicked on the Forum link, is 1 inch taller!!!

Thank goodness the clerk I was dealing with cared!! I told him the dimensions needed and he found one in stock with essentially the same dimensions as the Optima OEM part. It has less CCA, but Kendall said that should not matter, so back to Sears for another battery. Compared dimensions with the old, dead Optima and they were very close.

Brought it home and as luck would have it the bolt and battery holder fell down onto the belly pan. Good thing I have a lift. Up goes the lift, off comes the belly pan, out comes the fallen holder. Put the car back down, and fought to get the battery in. Not as young as I once was and dang batteries are heavy. Fought with it to get it in place so the bolt would go in and success. Hooked it up. Crossed fingers. Car started!!! Yea!!

Now about all that can go wrong is the lift wont go up. It does! Belly pan back on and car back on the ground. Tub in. Goodies for Rally 8 in the tub.

So Murphy tried...and thank goodness failed... Thank you Blake and Kendall.

BTW. The Sears battery part number that fits is 22850747, and it was $164.99. Its an AGM Group 47 battery. Needless to say, I was not shopping for the best deal, just whatever would get me running today.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Whew!
Great news you got sorted!
Nice to have friends!
Is this forum the best or what?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha ha ha ha. That will teach you to curse me behind my back. Good show Jack.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Ron...this Forum is absolutely the best in so many many ways.

Frank...i try not to curse....even you.....I know you're always a "pickle" but I did not call you as I thought you were working today as the driver said he could not get you until the AM. Your Sunday pickup may have saved me because if he had come today, I would have been in deep do do. Probably would have flipped a coin over shipping the Shelby or renting a car. Could not see keeping the wrong battery and driving all over N CA with tub out....there is probably some safety switch that I would have found out about when the car was in Sacramento!!

In a way I was extremely fortunate to have this happen today and not tomorrow or next Saturday trying to get the car off the truck or from Ed's place.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ed would have helped you out!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Could have always gone with a Optima or Ford GT battery that you knew was going to fit and shipped it to Sonoma for an easy install.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I thought of shipping a battery to Sacramento/Sonoma but with no power, it would have been a challenge to load the car. My garage is at bottom of a hill.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Jack, I was hyperventlating just reading your post!!!
Glad you were able to get in touch with Blake and he was able to steer you to in the correct direction.
And then all the other complications, Wow!
As I type this Blake's and my car are in the transporter sitting in Centerville, IL getting ready to head over and pick up Frank's car shortly.
Yours is next. Glad she is ready to head West!
See you soon.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I feel for you, Jack. Murphy gets his mail at my house.

But, all's well that ends well. :wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Jack - you have any other details on that battery? I tried googling the part number and searching it on Sears website but nothing came up. Got another member up here that needs to get his GT on a Passport Truck tomorrow that fried his battery.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Dave
Sorry to be not get back before now. Went to church and just got home. I goofed on part number, it is: 22850747. The only other info on the receipt is DH AGMG GP47 (group 47). It was $164.99. Key is dimensions and it is 9.5L, 6.8W, 7.5H. Sorry I cant provide any more than that.

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
For what ever it is worth, when I swapped my battery out with the Sears, I tied a string to the bolt for the battery hold down. I was afraid as clumsy as I am that I would do just what happened to you. Glad you got it squared away, pretty close call!