Rail Ryder trailer dolly

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Anyone have any experience with this trailer loading system? Looks pretty trick. I am in the market for a trailer and think this would be great in a low profile Trailex.

http://www.railryder.com/

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
I was looking at one a couple weeks ago. It was in a custom built Carrol Shelby signature series trailer, Very nice set up. Easy to strap down the car when you can work around it while out side the trailer. It did however add some extra weight to the over all package and it has a gear box up front that takes up some space.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
That's sweet!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
600 lbs! My Trailex weighs 1,950 lbs with winch and power tongue jack. That is a lot of weight to add. I would ask Carl Carbon at Trailex what he thinks. Great guy and very helpful. trailex1@aol.com

Maybe a minor point, but trailers in FL don't have to be titled if under 2,000 lbs. Some $ savings there.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
600 lbs! My Trailex weighs 1,950 lbs with winch and power tongue jack. That is a lot of weight to add.

Wow, that is light. I have a F250 diesel, so I'm not really concerned about an extra 600lbs. I can see where you would be though, driving that VW. :lol. Thanks for the contact at Trailex. I will give him a call. Keep those awesome rally pictures coming.

Lorenzo, did you see it being operated? The idea of not having to drive the car into the trailer is very appealing. Reminds me of the days we would drive our motorcycles up a 2x12, half drunk, into the back of a pickup truck.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...and as a bonus, that rig would probably qualify you for a handicapped sticker. :biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I guess this wouldn't work for any trailers that utilize floor storage compartments,

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Lorenzo, did you see it being operated? The idea of not having to drive the car into the trailer is very appealing. Reminds me of the days we would drive our motorcycles up a 2x12, half drunk, into the back of a pickup truck.[/QUOTE]

Yes I did, It was pretty cool, I regret not taking a picture of the whole trailer. It had Carroll's autograph on the side in huge letters and the ramp operated very smooth and quite.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Maybe a minor point, but trailers in FL don't have to be titled if under 2,000 lbs. Some $ savings there.

Kansas is similar, but the 2000 lbs includes the load as well.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Interesting idea. However, it costs more than I paid for my whole trailer.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
What is the approximate cost for these trailers?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
What is the approximate cost for these trailers?

The dolly system alone is about $7k. Pricey.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
The Trailex back door opens upward (not used as part of the ramp) so i don't see how this setup would work with a trailex!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Looks great but I really have no problem loading into my Trailex by suing my wench. I'm old but not $7,000 lazy. Hard to justify the expense. The Trailex is expensive but perfect weight, hight, and pulling qualities I hadn't seem in many trailers.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Looks great but I really have no problem loading into my Trailex by suing my wench. I'm old but not $7,000 lazy. Hard to justify the expense. The Trailex is expensive but perfect weight, hight, and pulling qualities I hadn't seem in many trailers.

+1. Pulls great at high speed with only about 250 lb on the tongue. And, if you don't have your own wench, you can add a winch, which requires less maintenance.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
suing my wench

I've had plenty of clients come to me with the same story. :lol

Are you guys pulling the car into the trailer with the winch and eye hook? The grille support for the eye hook seems fairly flimsy.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^Yes. I've only winched a few times, but I did not see any issue with the tow hook (eye/loop). Warn winch rated at 3,500 lbs pulls the GT right up.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks Gary.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
+1 I too use the tow hook to winch in, done it many times.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I looked through the pictures I took at Saleen and the eye hook mounting tab is actually a substantial piece welded directly to the front bumper. Not flimsy at all. My bad.