race tire go bad .... in a strange way

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
This was a first for me - and one that really took us by surprise.

We did a track day the other day and after about 10 slow laps - showing my son the track - my right front tire looked like this. In the morning before going out, all 4 tires looked fine. It looks like the top rubber simply peeled off almost 1/2 the tire width - all around. No doubt that right front would take most beating on this particular track, but these laps were done at max 70% speed and partly on wet track.

Off course I didn´t bring a spare so we switched with left rear - and did the track day with no problems (without going crazy, but still keeping good speed) - about 60 laps later it looked like this - actually not much extra Wear compared to the starting point in the morning.

Tire is a P-zero 305/35/18 and is a few years old - that could be part of the explanation I guess.

Anyone ever experience similar?

IMG_2843.jpg

Nicolas liked it :biggrin

Nico3.jpg

Very focused young man .... right before first "high speed" tour of the track

Nicolas første tur.jpg

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I remember having recaps do that - hmmmmm! Makes you wonder! :thumbsdow

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Pirelli has had tread separation problems on other P Zeros.

http://www.rubbernews.com/article/2...0-pzero-corsa-tires-for-tread-belt-separation

Gotta love a website bold enough to call itself "Rubber News."

The car looks fantastic!

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Was this tire ever previously run flipped the other way? Or does the car moderately understeer?

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Was this tire ever previously run flipped the other way? Or does the car moderately understeer?

I do not know if the tire was flipped but I do not think so. These are the tires that were on the car when I got it - and almost new at that time. The car is pretty well balanced and I also think very neutral steeringwise. Set up like a race car with lots of negative camber - but with tracks here being very twisty it might pit extraordinary wear on outer part of tire

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Set up like a race car with lots of negative camber -

That was the reason for the question; looks like the tire may have seen a lot of heat on that edge at some point, like the inside edge does with a lot of negative camber. If it was once the other way around and on a set up with say 4-5 deg neg camber, Pirelli's don't seem to like that. I failed a Pirelli a couple weeks ago at Zandvoort looking the same way with a lot of neg camber - the track needs it but the Pirelli compound can't take it for very long. Could be age related as well. In any case, time for new tires, huh?