Purchasing a Car out of State

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Gentlemen,

I'm considering buying a little 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP for Susan. The car is located in Stewartville, MN. Most of you know I live in SoCal. I've never bought a car out of state before. Other than a PPI or at least having someone one take a once over, I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give on purchasing a car out of state. I value your experience to say the least. Also I apologize in advance if there is a thread on this very topic and I did not pick it up with the search engine. (I did check though.) Thanks

Vince H

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The GXP is a 50-state car so no trouble bringing into CA and getting it registered. Check Carfax (a must) and, yes, if you can get someone to do a local inspection before shipping, that would be best. (I have a preferred shipping broker - email me for specifics.)

All that said..... and I feel a wee bit responsible for your fancy of the Solstice...... but I would HIGHLY recommend the about-to-be-released 2016 Mazda MX-5 (Miata). You can reserve a launch edition right now with a $500 deposit. www.mazdausa.com Yes, a little higher price point, but Susan is worth every penny!!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Hi Vince,I don't know all the details other than CA has some crazy smog regulations. The car needs to be "CA specific"emissions approved. Given its a 2009, I'm sure it would qualify, but check the dealer to be certain. Also, if it has less than so many miles (7,500 I beleive) the DMV won't always allow you to register it. Is this a private party sale or from a dealership?

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Thanks for offering to help Kendall and yes you are "indirectly" responsible. ;) I will check out the Mazda and show it to her.

MJSFRX it is from a dealer and yes the mileage is under 7,500. (Around 1,000) That would certainly be a problem if I could not register it in Ca.

Vince H

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The only challenge (not really a challenge, but something to be aware of) Ive had, buying cars out of state from a dealer has been how sales tax was managed. IE who, and when, was it collected. The dealer is likely going to collect that states tax. Then in MA, if the selling state and MA have tax reciprocity, then only the difference (if the tax rates are different), is credited or collected again in MA (in MA sales tax is collected when the car is registered). If the states do not have reciprocity, then the selling state, might still collect their own tax, and you have to file an abatement to get those funds back (I have not had to do this).

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Thanks Specracer. Being the money hungry state Ca. is, this is exactly what I was wondering.

Vince H

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Whats one of the cool things in MA (there are not many), my insurance agent (yes they exist still, and can write me policies from different vendors including Hagerty), they are an extension of the state DOT RMV (registry of motor vehicles), so they have the expertise to find out this info. Point of the post, is perhaps your insurance agent might be able to help get these questions answered. I have found this crucial to know, as the selling dealer probably doesn't know (or care).

lewishou

GT Owner
Feb 27, 2007
Atherton, CA
Vince,

Another thing to consider is that when you buy a car from out of state, even if it is 50 state emissions legal, the CA DMV will require that you have the car VIN verified by DMV, CHP, or special licensed agent. This is generally not a big deal, except getting that extra appointment with DMV or local CHP can range from inconvenient to painful. Also, the DMV can be a pain in terms of accepting your bill of sale from the dealer, if it is not detailed enough (obvously to ensure they can tax you maximally). Unless the car is special, I would try to find one in CA.

Lewis

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Vince,

Another thing to consider is that when you buy a car from out of state, even if it is 50 state emissions legal, the CA DMV will require that you have the car VIN verified by DMV, CHP, or special licensed agent. This is generally not a big deal, except getting that extra appointment with DMV or local CHP can range from inconvenient to painful. Also, the DMV can be a pain in terms of accepting your bill of sale from the dealer, if it is not detailed enough (obvously to ensure they can tax you maximally). Unless the car is special, I would try to find one in CA.

Lewis

Yes, it is true you will have to have the VIN verified as part of the registration process. But this reminded me of another gotcha: If the car has been modified with a pulley/tune (other than the Ford racing parts kit) and your state has the OBDII style of emissions test, be prepared to have to revert it back to stock for the emissions test. It gets even more complicated if the exhaust has been modified to eliminate the cats and mufflers as some states also have a visual inspection. CO was wise to the headers and told me the first time to come back if I had them.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks for offering to help Kendall and yes you are "indirectly" responsible. ;) I will check out the Mazda and show it to her.

MJSFRX it is from a dealer and yes the mileage is under 7,500. (Around 1,000) That would certainly be a problem if I could not register it in Ca.

Vince H

Vince, since it's less than 7,500 miles, CA will consider this a "new" car and must meet CA emissions. There is an emissions sticke on the car that will say it does meet CA emissions or it will state, Does Not meet CA emissions. The dealership should be able to send you a pic of this sticker.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Drop a small block in that thing!
Good luck on your purchase.
Best,
Mark

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Thanks again guys. I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on this. Honored and privileged to be a member of this community.

Vince H

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Yes, it is true you will have to have the VIN verified as part of the registration process. But this reminded me of another gotcha: If the car has been modified with a pulley/tune (other than the Ford racing parts kit) and your state has the OBDII style of emissions test, be prepared to have to revert it back to stock for the emissions test. It gets even more complicated if the exhaust has been modified to eliminate the cats and mufflers as some states also have a visual inspection. CO was wise to the headers and told me the first time to come back if I had them.

Tony - it's a Pontiac!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony - it's a Pontiac!

Ah! I jumped in the middle and didn't go back to the top :) !!!

Haven't all cars been 50 state emissions for quite some time?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Correct 50 states emission compliant, you would need to smog it before you register it- I think 2006 and before the emission tag indicated 50 states and California, at least that's what was on my ZO6 tag purchased out of state due to Cali stealers jacking up prices. I believe now (or sometimes after 2007) the and California emission tag "adder" went away-
BTW, any AAA office can verify VIN- When I took my FGT to the local PD, this really aging cop (I have no idea how he can chase robbers) came out with a clip board to verify my VIN, he wanted to impound my car because in his assessment the VIN tag was put on the car after it left the factory "see those rivets holding it in place, they don't look factory to me", what a clown. Not untiI I escalated the issue to his superior he let me go but would not sign off on the VIN. Went to AAA office and 5 minutes later I was verified and registered-:thumbsup

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Looks like this is about 90 min from my house. If I was in the country I'd be happy to go look at it for you! Alternatively I can locate a reputable PPI shop in the Rochester area if you wish.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Haven't all cars been 50 state emissions for quite some time?

Ha ha.... that's what I thought too..... until recently. The 2015 Mustang, for example is NOT a 50-state car. If you are in CA, you'd have BIG trouble trying to bring in just a normal Mustang GT!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
If you guys would continue to entertain me for a bit. She has narrowed down one she likes! It is located at:

Sovereign Auto - Downtown Flushing Location
4 Miles West of Exit 122 off I-75
730 E. Main St, Flushing, Mi 48433

Anybody know anything about them? Also, can anyone recommend someone to perform a visual inspection or a PPI in the area?

Don't want to be a burden to anyone just thought I would ask.

Vince H

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Don't want to be a burden to anyone just thought I would ask.

Vince H

Anyone who'd consider your request for info a "burden" needs to get some fresh air...A LOT OF IT. :facepalm:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Not trying to dissuade you Vince, but I can tell a couple of things from the pics of that car on the website. It is using 3-BAR MAP sensors where the factory used 2-BAR MAP sensors. This is a very common precursor to a performance (re-tune) upgrade. I would suspect that it is the GM Performance Division upgrade which I believe is CARB compliant. But you may want to validate what tune/modification has been used. Also, looks like the OEM air cleaner box is gone in favor of a cone-type air filter? Again, not a big deal but when smogging it in CA, you may want to get the OEM airbox. Most likely, not a very expensive item. Best case is that perhaps you can use these anomalies to negotiate price on :)