Proper Clamshell Removal

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
With a lot of people starting to do mods on the GT, there appears to be growing interest (but reluctance) in removing the clamshell. I believe the key concern is proper re-alignment of the clamshell when it is re-installed. I've been interested in this topic and started to look at the hinges to see how difficult it is to align. What I noticed was a small stainless hinge pin. It is retained in place with a small wire clip on the in-board side. It would sure seem to me that the easiest, by far, method to remove the clamshell would be to pull the wire retaining clip and then to pull out this stainless pin. The Pin is tight, but I was able to slightly rotate mine with my fingers. Anyway, it seems that if you remove the clamshell by removing these two pins, then re-installing is a piece of cake and there will be NO alignment issues. I've posted this thread because I've seen no previous mention of these pins - and simultaneously I've read accounts of how difficult re-alignment can be.

Here's a pic of a previously posted picture from a fellow member who had his car worked on. Notice on the near side the stainless pin that I'm speaking of is still in place. However, on the opposite side, it seems that they may have removed the pin. I think that by removing the pins, the clam shell can be easily removed and re-installed with absolutely no alignment issues.

Has anyone actually done it this way?

ClamShell.JPG

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Pin Removal

Works just fine that way. Easy on and off. I need to build a M/B removable hardtop type carrier to store the engine cover.
Haven't driven to the store with it off - yet.
Just took it off to look for leaks and clean up the engine & all the other things found under the clam shell.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Clam Shell

I took mine off this way but have not ried to put it back on yet. I noticed that there seems to be a positon part way closed that the hinges seperated. I could not get them apart when all the way open. I'm hoping I can re-insert the two parts in a half open position and then rotate it open to help hold it in place to put the pins back in. My pins were a bitch to slide out too. I should have oiled them first I think. It's a little scary taking it off and trying to coordinate two people holding it. :willy

Any insight on putting this back on would be appreciated.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'll vote for the mecanic who did the passenger side to be impoye of the month... I bet its the case of two guys working together to move the hatch...

And one of them went: "Ahh I see - But I thought you had to remove the bolts"

:biggrin

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I just put mine back on with the Pin removed process. There are some limit tabs, and in order to get these to clear, the shell almost needes to be in the closed position to get them to slide under and slip into the car side of the hinge.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Specracer said:
I just put mine back on with the Pin removed process. There are some limit tabs, and in order to get these to clear, the shell almost needes to be in the closed position to get them to slide under and slip into the car side of the hinge.

Was it easy?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I thought so, and would not be scared of doing it again if need be.