Programming Gauge Control Module

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
Does anyone know if it is possible to have the gauge control module reprogrammed to change the odometer reading?
Replaced the module with a used one and the odometer now reads the mileage from the car it came out of.
Joe

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Does anyone know if it is possible to have the gauge control module reprogrammed to change the odometer reading?
Replaced the module with a used one and the odometer now reads the mileage from the car it came out of.
Joe

Even if possible, I would imagine there's a whole lot of illegal in doing so. Just opening up a can of worms if that becomes public knowledge.

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I was thinking more along the line of having a Ford dealer do it. Don't know if you purchase a new module if it is ordered to match your vehicle or if it is done at the dealer.
Joe

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you have ford dealer do it have them enter the original ie age and the new instruments mileage in oasis. This will not resolve mileage readings taken at inspection stations for new title. This is if it can't be reset.we

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I know when we replace GM gauges at the shop with remanufactured units, the mileage is programmed in prior to shipping it to us.

Jeff

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
I was thinking more along the line of having a Ford dealer do it.
Joe
And what % of dealers would we trust with this knowledge...never to reset the mileage on a used car???

pauls

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
It seems unfair to install a new unit with higher mileage than the original mileage. It also drives down the price. Let's say you have a 1k car and put a module with 5k. I have research this and there is no definitive answer except don't do it. I feel the goal would be to reset the odometer to the CarFax reading. There are struments on Amazon that are inexpensive designed to reset the odometer. I read on some cars there is a warning light on the dash if an odometer rollback is attempted. I wonder if our cars have this warning light. I am in favor to be able to roll back the odometer to the CarFax reading.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Why did you replace it? I've never seen one go bad.. Also If you order a new one from ford they can set the mileage to your pcm. Also your pcm contains the actual mileage that the car has. So no matter what, if you plug a diagnostic tool into your car the mileage that is in the pcm is the correct mileage for the car. Those boxes are expensive from ford as i'm sure you know and that's why you bought a used one. A ford IDS can NOT change the mileage in that baclk box. Only Ford can do it internally and only on a new product. It's to keep dealers (OTHERS) and such from being dishonest. The only place that may be able to do it is Myairbags.com. Check with them.

SO if you want your gauges to match the pcm. You have to stop driving your car. Read the mileage in the pcm, Then order the new black box with identical mileage to the .9 or what ever it is and put it in before you move the car.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
B.M.F. - are you sure mileage is kept in the PCM? I've never seen a car brand do that. If true, and relatively accessible to "read", then the odometer reading is probably moot as any interested party could simply query the PCM for the "real" value.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is an old topic but I thought there was a recent post that the new and old ones could be sent to Ford (maybe the OEM that made the box?) to have the odometer info transferred. Naturally this is going to be a clumsy process.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
the odometer reading is only kept in the gauge check module above your left knee under the dash. plug in a new one and the mileage goes to zero or have the dealer program it to the correct mileage. The Ford OASIS report shows every service, oil change and repair the car has ever had at the dealer so the mileage should match the report. PS: that's why the SRP on the module is $8751.87 so it's not easily obtained and changed out.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
B.M.F. - are you sure mileage is kept in the PCM? I've never seen a car brand do that. If true, and relatively accessible to "read", then the odometer reading is probably moot as any interested party could simply query the PCM for the "real" value.

The mileage is readable in the GT pcm with a ford IDS.... It is readable in all ford pcm's 2005 and newer. It's to keep people from cluster swapping vehicles as shown above in the op original post it's easy to do..