Pricing

rnkma4

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2014
Santa Clarita
I'm new to the forum. I'm in SoCal, looking at cars in the low 3,000 mile range (all 4 options), all the pricing I'm seeing is in the $250-$260 range. Reasonable? Overpriced? I'd appreciate any input.

Mike

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
What color cars are you looking at? What options? We have cars priced from $230k - $269k miles ranging from 1k-9k miles. So I would say depending on color and options the prices don't look very out of line...
But maybe better to get some other opinions as I am a dealer obviously in it to make a buck :)

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Shelby is certainly qualified to comment on pricing!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I'm new to the forum. I'm in SoCal, looking at cars in the low 3,000 mile range (all 4 options), all the pricing I'm seeing is in the $250-$260 range. Reasonable? Overpriced? I'd appreciate any input.

Mike

A higher mileage, but well cared for, red or white car are often the most economical

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
A red 800(?) mile FGT sold at Mecum in Indy this May for $225,000 plus 7% buyer commission = $241,000.00.

I just reached an agreement on a 1800 mile red FGT for $230,000 but its 3 optioned with some mods.

I think $260,000 is on the high side. I would say $240-$250 for the 4 option, 2-4K miles car is market now.

I am pretty scared that we are both buying on the high side of the trajectory and that this level of appreciation cannot continue on a vehicle whos production numbers greater than 4,000. Boss 429s had less than half that in '69-'70.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Boss 429s had less than half that in '69-'70.

That's a very tough comparison. Yes, way less than half and on a body style made in the hundreds of thousands. Different eras...different demographics. One, the epitome of muscle car cool. The other, America's only exotic. An exotic with muscle. Unique. Nothing like it before or since.

If you're buying for investment, you're rolling the dice. But, the dice are loaded in your favor. ALL ages are in love with the GT.

If you're buying for the greatest street legal driving experience of your life, every mile will be full of smiles. And, when you're not driving it, you'll be caressing its sublime curves and sitting in a chair just looking at it for hours on end.

P.S. That is one hell of a collection you have. What I wouldn't give for this:

Attachments

• 5D3_7506.jpg
    5D3_7506.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
That's a very tough comparison. Yes, way less than half and on a body style made in the hundreds of thousands. Different eras...different demographics. One, the epitome of muscle car cool. The other, America's only exotic. An exotic with muscle. Unique. Nothing like it before or since.

If you're buying for investment, you're rolling the dice. But, the dice are loaded in your favor. ALL ages are in love with the GT.

If you're buying for the greatest street legal driving experience of your life, every mile will be full of smiles. And, when you're not driving it, you'll be caressing its sublime curves and sitting in a chair just looking at it for hours on end.

P.S. That is one hell of a collection you have. What I wouldn't give for this:

All good points. Like the back dated Singer, I love the GT40 look and hence my purchase.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
matteuson,

While the 429 Boss was a very low production car, look what they sell for now compared to new in 1969-1970! I would only hope that the FGT would appreciate even half of the % of the 429! With the weak economy we have suffered through the last several years and the spiking prices of the GT, I think this car demands crazy money as time goes by and the economy strengthens. I am no expert on the FGT but I have to believe this car will always stay North of $200k for years to come. I would think the FGT will level off sometime in the future but do not look for a significant slide unless Ford Motor Company comes out with another supercar and I don't know what that would even look like. Another production Cobra (AC style) would go over huge but not take the place of a Ford GT in my opinion. Automobile magazine said a few years ago that the FGT is one of only a few automobiles that was worth more the month after you bought it than it was when you purchased it new. With all that rambling, I do believe that anyone owning a FGT will hold not only their money together but also enjoy one hell of a ride!

Just my .02 worth

Mike

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
A red 800(?) mile FGT sold at Mecum in Indy this May for $225,000 plus 7% buyer commission = $241,000.00.

I just reached an agreement on a 1800 mile red FGT for $230,000 but its 3 optioned with some mods.

I think $260,000 is on the high side. I would say $240-$250 for the 4 option, 2-4K miles car is market now.

I am pretty scared that we are both buying on the high side of the trajectory and that this level of appreciation cannot continue on a vehicle whos production numbers greater than 4,000. Boss 429s had less than half that in '69-'70.

I don't think you should be worried about buying in the high side of the trajectory. Prices are going to continue to escalate for some time to come, maybe not at the rate they have been over the past 24 months, but they will keep going north. The car is an anomaly - and it continues to defy the market in terms of (negative) depreciation. In any case, owning and driving one one of these is second to none. I have never driven or owned a car that has given me quite the same pleasure or experience. I have a few cars in my garage, including a recently built 950 RWHP '08 Z06, which is just an insane blast to drive...and even though my GT's not quite as quick @ just shy of 800 RWHP, it's still my favorite ride, by far. It's a race car with manners - pure and simple, like a go cart on steroids, with air conditioning!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
All good points. Like the back dated Singer, I love the GT40 look and hence my purchase.

Um. Holy crap. Pics of Singer. Immediately. As in they need to be up as I press the enter button on this post.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
My first car was a 69 Mustang....but like your long lost girlfriend you tend to remember the good points...No it wasn't a Boss but it was cool..
I got it in 1973 and thought it was the best looking thing on the road save for a Boss or Mach 1.
I immediately put glass packs and big white letter tires on it...and raised the rear end to accommodate the mag wheels and huge tires..
What do you expect from a 16 yo??
Anyway..I had the coolest car in my school but when I really try to remember what the car was like...it wasn't pretty.
The front wouldn't stay aligned for more than 5,000 miles, the driver's side window kept falling off the tracks, and the A/C seemed to suck half the power out of my meager 302 engine, and never blew cold air.
It also handled like a pig (I am sure not helped by the oversize tires) and was so slow I think a G car would crush it..

Still...no girl could resist a ride..and that's what I remember

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Still...no girl could resist a ride..and that's what I remember

What else do you need to remember - :thumbsup

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My first car was a 69 Mustang....but like your long lost girlfriend you tend to remember the good points...No it wasn't a Boss but it was cool..
I got it in 1973 and thought it was the best looking thing on the road save for a Boss or Mach 1.
I immediately put glass packs and big white letter tires on it...and raised the rear end to accommodate the mag wheels and huge tires..
What do you expect from a 16 yo??
Anyway..I had the coolest car in my school but when I really try to remember what the car was like...it wasn't pretty.
The front wouldn't stay aligned for more than 5,000 miles, the driver's side window kept falling off the tracks, and the A/C seemed to suck half the power out of my meager 302 engine, and never blew cold air.
It also handled like a pig (I am sure not helped by the oversize tires) and was so slow I think a G car would crush it..

Still...no girl could resist a ride..and that's what I remember

My first car was also a 69 Mach 1. Nothing but perfect (unwarranted) memories!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Mike, here's another data point for you: I paid $190K for my red 26Kmi FGT in late April. I wanted a car with more miles on it, because I intended to drive it regularly (and I have, adding 1200 miles in the last month and a half), so paying a premium for a low miles car didn't make any sense. I see the asking prices for low mile cars in the $240-$260 range (and some outliers in the $300K+ range), but I haven't seen many sales at the asking prices. I'd say be aggressive in your offer, as there are plenty for sale, and you can wait out a seller who is testing the market.

As for where the market is going, it feels like the prices have hit a plateau, after a jump over the last year. Will they pull back a bit from here? Anyone's guess is as bad as the next guy's, but I don't think they will drop much, if at all. Then they will settle in to a "new normal," then head up again after a few years. This FGT is still a lot of people's "dream car" and eventually, they will acquire the means to buy one. When I've taken mine to Katie's Cars'n'Coffee in Great Falls, VA, that's a comment I hear a lot. People gawk at Ferraris and Lambos, but my sense is that if/when they have the money, more of them really want an FGT.

How many are left in circulation? I've heard that after subtracting crashed cars and exported ones, the total is down to under 3000. Since there were 4000 built 8-9 years ago, that sounds reasonable. That's still a lot of units for a collector car, but it has a wide appeal too.

Jun 9, 2014
Northern Virginia
I just bought my red 4 optioned 06 with 800 miles at a premium if that gives you any indication of the market. I plan on driving her about 1K to 2K miles a year so I was willing to pay the premium dollar knowing I was going to keep the miles down but at the same time I did't spend over $300K for a less that 100 mile car that was going to sit on a lift covered up.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
As I have said numerous times ,
I'm not saving my car for the next guy !
The person who dies with the most mileage wins!
He or she also had the most fun!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 133

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Duplicate post-

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
I just bought my red 4 optioned 06 with 800 miles at a premium if that gives you any indication of the market. I plan on driving her about 1K to 2K miles a year so I was willing to pay the premium dollar knowing I was going to keep the miles down but at the same time I did't spend over $300K for a less that 100 mile car that was going to sit on a lift covered up.
I'm offended by that remark - mine's not covered up! LOL