Power Steering hose

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
For any 05/06 GT owners who have not gotten the replacement p/s hose, thinking it wasn't needed, this picture is from a 4,000 mile 06. The red drops are p/s fluid bleeding from the hose. When the supply of replacements that Rich B and I are gone, the replacement will be heater hose from Autozone.20221117_143957.jpg

Reactions: extrap and Johntpr

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Are the tension clamps still good?

I replace the two on the top oil lines as they leaked with a pinch/crimp set up

Stu

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Are the tension clamps still good?

I replace the two on the top oil lines as they leaked with a pinch/crimp set up

Stu
Never had an issue with weak clamp tension. You really need to use a special tool to make replacements easier. Especially getting at the lower return hose to pump. Especially if you are trying to use pliers.

Reactions: Johntpr

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Just reading through an old post that the new hose might need to be aligned at each end for "no touch" clearance + make sure its routed the same as OE path.
Any other tips?

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Just reading through an old post that the new hose might need to be aligned at each end for "no touch" clearance + make sure its routed the same as OE path.
Any other tips?
These hoses were made using a new OEM hose as a templet. They are exact OEM dimensions. They should not need to be trimmed. In the many I have installed, I have never had to alter any.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
These hoses were made using a new OEM hose as a templet. They are exact OEM dimensions. They should not need to be trimmed. In the many I have installed, I have never had to alter any.

The bends are placed perfectly, but there was an obvious length difference between my original hose and this replacement. Not a big deal at all- put your take-off hose and your replacement side by side, and (assuming your old hose fit perfectly), trim where needed. I had to trim about half-inch or so off of mine. I know others had to do the same, and Rich Brooks also told me he had a couple where he had to trim.

A very good product, very easy install, and I know we are all very grateful to have these available.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
The bends are placed perfectly, but there was an obvious length difference between my original hose and this replacement. Not a big deal at all- put your take-off hose and your replacement side by side, and (assuming your old hose fit perfectly), trim where needed. I had to trim about half-inch or so off of mine. I know others had to do the same, and Rich Brooks also told me he had a couple where he had to trim.

A very good product, very easy install, and I know we are all very grateful to have these available.
One thing I have found is a slight difference between the fittings on the pumps on different cars. As they are just pressed into the pump, there could be a slight variation from car to car, which would effect the routing, but only by a fraction.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
What is the « special tool » required to replace the clamps? Is it the same needed for the gas filter clamps?

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
What about removing the PS fluid.... Suck out of res & drain/drip rest from bottom?

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
What is the « special tool » required to replace the clamps? Is it the same needed for the gas filter clamps?
If you are referring to this clamp this:
B6C589AD-4DA4-409B-A392-2543B686AA46.jpeg

Reactions: Gene Cassone

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Art 138.
You're lucky to have the T-31 pliers shown above.
It superseded the T-25 (circa 1966) that would not been able to execute the superior moves that you obviously pulled off with the post 66 model on your GT.......hat tip
Another must have tool in the GT garage.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Here is the tool I use. It is available on line. I usually use hose clamp off pliers on the bottom of the hose and remove it from the pump first. The make sure the loose end is in a drain pan, I release the clamp. By the time you get to the top part most of the fluid will have drained outDSCF6920.JPGDSCF6923.JPG.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Well that was tricky.
Had to loosen the support ring thats bolted near the oil canister so to slide the old line out and new one in.
My new line was also about 3/4" too long v's the OEM dogleg.....the rest looked very similar.
The dogleg with the uncut length was crashing right in the bottom of the canister, so a trim and its free by 1/2" +

In the manual it says the PS fluid is (ATF) XT-2-QDX ......This still the deal?

The manual says many tricky things in relation to "flushing steering system"
I drained from the bottom so not the way they talked....so can I just refill and start car and check level?

IMG_4058.jpegIMG_4056.jpeg

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
IMG_4060.jpeg

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Well that was tricky.
Had to loosen the support ring thats bolted near the oil canister so to slide the old line out and new one in.
My new line was also about 3/4" too long v's the OEM dogleg.....the rest looked very similar.
The dogleg with the uncut length was crashing right in the bottom of the canister, so a trim and its free by 1/2" +

In the manual it says the PS fluid is (ATF) XT-2-QDX ......This still the deal?

The manual says many tricky things in relation to "flushing steering system"
I drained from the bottom so not the way they talked....so can I just refill and start car and check level?

View attachment 67312View attachment 67313
You had to cut the hose from GT tech? I though it was cut to the same length as the OEM.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
They seem to be 1/2" - 3/4" too long. No big deal, just cut 'em off to match the original. Better than too short (y)

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Will grab some XT-5-QMC today