Placing Numbers on Heritage Edition

bmoullet

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Does anyone out there have any experience with placing the numbers on the Heritage Edition. I put the front and rear numbers on this evening (#6) and followed the directions to the letter. Getting the numbers lined up was a breeze but getting all the air bubbles out under the stickers seems to be a real problem. I worked on it for quite some time but some tiny bubbles are still visable which gives the number a rough appearance in certain areas. I tried adding heat and pressing but still no luck. Is there a trick or procedure to get rid of these nasty devils? The numbers really set the car off so it's disappointing that they are so difficult to apply. Maybe I will just have to live with it or maybe I should take the car to a professional? Appreciate any help or suggestions.

Pipelion

bmoullet,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the GT. :cheers

SuperB has his numbers on, maybe he knows some tricks.

Allan

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
The trick I used was going to a sign shop. I found a guy locally that not only took the time to get them on perfect but he taught me how to do it as well.

I had the same thing happen on my first try...just don't waste your time...go find someone that does it every day.

Matt

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
static clings work fine too

My son wanted to put "98" on the blue car so I had a set of static clings made at one of the local sign shops.(see photo in our gallery) They look great although one blew off the right door. I must have left a gap on the leading edge side. I talked to Camilo Pardo about the double digit numbers and he told me that the set of numbers that came with the car are too large for that. He also suggested letting a sign shop put on the sticker numbers if we went that route. Your dealer should put them on for you for no charge. Ours offerred to but I said no for the above reasons. KP

Jazz76

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 9, 2006
Harleysville, PA
Relax the numbers breath and settle

New Heritage owner
I have placed the numbers as well, but prior to doing this I did a search on application of lettering on autos. There are a number of sites that offer tips on this. Main thing is not to try and work stubborn bubbles out as you may stretch the material. The material will breath and you can push them down within a week or so. When I first applied my numbers had quite a few bubbles and actually ordered a new set for future use, less than $100. Week later pushed most bubbles down with finger week later all gone, they will settle, relax. They are single use only.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
The numbers are a ONE TIME USE.

But when I screwed up my 6's I just used the 9 and put them on upside down :)

Matt

bmoullet

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for your comments and encouraging words. I will give it some time and see if the bubbles work their way out. Meanwhile I will see if I can source an extra set or invert the "9".

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Here is the trick. Go to a local "crafts" store and buy an ink maul. It is a small rubber roller for applying ink when doing stencils. Get an atomizer and fill it with water. Spray a fine mist of water on the meatball where you want to apply the number. Apply the number to the meatball the water helps you adjust the number to where you want it. Then use the ink maul to work out the air bubbles and remaining water. This works like a champ. :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I might add to NJF's fine advice, put just a tad of dishwashing soap into the spray bottle. It decreases the water tension and makes it flow smoother. Don't be afraid, it's just soapy water, so use a lot.

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
So let me get this straight. The factory stickers are a one time deal. How hard is it to get them off. I really want 11 is it just better to go to a sticker
"place" and get them to do it permanently? Have you had luck with removing stickers with out damaging the meatball?

thanks joe

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
You can also use a very sharp pointed needle to poke a very small pin prick into the bubble and then use a roller or thick credit card to push the air out.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Most decals are a one time deal and are easy to remove with a little heat and don't hurt the paint. They may leave a little adhesive on the car but that can easily be removed with surface cleaner.
When we do race events we use a vinyl that has a removable adhesive. The numbers will stick very well but can be removed up to two years later without any residue and won't hurt the paint. Your local decal shop should have it as it is made by 3M and Avery.
For shows we have printed the numbers on clear or white static cling making the circle the same size as the one on the car. This is a great solution for re-using the numbers but is not intended for anything other than static displays.
If you use the soapy water method two drops per quart is all you need. If you put too much soap in it will leave a film between the adhesive and the car and will come off very easily - even at high speed.
If you decide to install them dry tape the decal in place and once you are happy with the placement use the tape to make a hinge along the top. Now you can lift the decal, remove the backing, and squeegee from left to right starting at the hinge and moving down, overlapping your strokes so you don't get any bubbles. :thumbsup

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Keep in mind on the cars the numbers, Meatballs and the pinstripe are all STICKERS!....They are easy to put on and take off..I say that because I payed a sign shop to do mine :rofl

Just order extra sets...oops shouldn't have said that..I have 5 sets of them...hehehehe.

Matt

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
427Aggie,

Do you know what the part number is for the number sets? Also what is the approximate price?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

PEGGED

May 4, 2006
PLACING NUMBERS ON HERITAGE EDITION

1ST NEVER USE NEEDLES TO POP BUBBLES,LATER ON MOISTURE WILL GET IN AND START LIFTING DECAL.PROPER WAY TO INSTALL DECALS,ALLWAYS USE AND USE ONLY WINDEX,IT HAS ALCOHOL IN SOLUTION MIXTURE WHICH WILL HELP EVAPORATE MOISTURE UNDER DECAL AND DRY FASTER AND FLATER.AS ALCOHOL EVAPORATES IT TAKE THE TINY BUBBLES AND SUCKS THEM DOWN,ALSO YOU CAN USE A SQUEEGE IF INSTALLING LARGE DECALS,AND ITS MAKES IT EASIER AND GIVES YOU MORE TIME TO POSITION DECAL EVENLY.I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU NEXT TIME NEEDED.

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
I ordered two sets today from the dealer here for just over $30 each. For some reason I feel they are going to be the wrong stuff. (dealership has not impressed me so far). What about the two digit use of the oem stickers. GOOD or BAD?

joe

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
First... NEVER use Windex... The alcohol may cause the paint to melt... ok... just kidding. The pin thing would only be used if short term use for track event etc. I would agree not a good idea for long term use.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
thats about the right price..I get mine at cost and they were $25 each...now don't go replacing those Meatballs though..sheeze are they freakin expensive..I think the doors are something like $100 each!

These decals are not wet apply...if you take your time and do it right you can do it with very few bubbles..the sign shop that did mine just used the end of a very sharp exacto knife to pop any bubbles..mine have been on for 6 months and yes I have had it in the rain with no problems at all.

I don't know the part number off hand but if you look it up for the car its something like number somethin or other.

matt

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I wanted to put a different number in each one. Or maybe a smiley face. :biggrin For now, though, they're still big ol' white circles.
Mrs. Blue Moose

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
SEE MY PREVIOUS THREAD!

I started a thread here regarding applying those numbers, either under "general discussion" or "tech discussion" and I received a lot of good advice (DANQ told me how to *really* do it, & FB GT40 sent me his spare 7's so I could do it al over!) :thumbsup
The Ford supplied directions are INCORRECT. They will NOT apply well DRY! The numbers are pretty simple to apply if you spray the painted surface with water (as mentioned here previously, with a *little* dish soap mixed in). Best is to use a sprayer bottle, since just pouring water on the paint results in the water beading up & running off the car . . . you want to mist it on *heavily*. After you peal the paper backing off the number, heavily mist the back side of the number as well! Lay it on the car & squeegie it smooth. The numbers will end up looking like they're PAINTED on! (The supplied directions do have a good procedure for making a masking tape "hinge", etc, but they are dead wrong on saying that the surface should be dry!)

----Rick