Pike’s Peak Hill Climb

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The other day I was perusing my Porsche Panorama and reading about various Porsches racing at the PP International Hillclimb. I haven’t run across any info about Ford GTs racing at PPIH. Is anyone aware of any FGT racing there?

If not, I’m getting a nutty idea...

(And to head off the irascible Dr. Frank, yes, I used the search function, and I also used Duck Duck Go. I found references to Focus RSs and Mustang GTs and Ken Block’s Mustang, but not FGTs).

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Funny about Dr Frank.
I'm an M.D. as well, I'm just a little more reserved!
Mark

Reactions: steved57

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
To the best of my recollection, there has never been an official Ford GT run at Pikes Peak. DBK may know better though.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Would love to hear your nutty idea PeteK

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
The idea of driving a GT in the PPIHC isn’t as nutty as, say, trekking across Greenland, but at this point I don’t even know what classes a FGT could be entered to race. I don’t know what safety equipment is required, etc. If I have to do major surgery, well, fuhgedaboudit, ‘cause I’m not gonna chop up my street car. But if there’s a class for street-registered cars—sorta “run what you brung,” then I’ll consider prepping for it.

But I’m only in the daydream stage, so I don’t know if I’ll get any further than that. But I do know that daydreams have a tendency to grow on ya...

Reactions: 2112 and steved57

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
If you go for this, I'll offer up my shop in Canon City for staging!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The idea of driving a GT in the PPIHC isn’t as nutty as, say, trekking across Greenland, but at this point I don’t even know what classes a FGT could be entered to race. I don’t know what safety equipment is required, etc. If I have to do major surgery, well, fuhgedaboudit, ‘cause I’m not gonna chop up my street car. But if there’s a class for street-registered cars—sorta “run what you brung,” then I’ll consider prepping for it.

But I’m only in the daydream stage, so I don’t know if I’ll get any further than that. But I do know that daydreams have a tendency to grow on ya...

It's a pro-am race. Dominated these days by electric and hybrids and AWD vehicles. It used to be pretty dicey with about 1/3-1/2 of it being gravel but it is now paved to the top. And it's a mountain not a hill - and cars have fallen off the edge so it's full safety cage. A friend/coworker built a Sunbeam Tiger for the race, he didn't finish. It is fun to go watch - like most of these spectators are just along the side of the road so you need to drive the road and find where you want to be and then get there very early on race day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Thanks. I’ve driven to the top several times as a tourist. Last time was 4 years ago, so I know what the road looks like. There are some pretty hairy drop offs near the top. I’d just like to drive it at 8/10ths or so, instead of being constrained by posted speed limits.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
I had always wanted to race it on a bike (when it wasn't completely paved) but never made it happen - I would think running it in a FGT at 8/10ths would be pretty damn exciting too

I have a good friend who won his class on a bike couple years in a row

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
I have a good friend who won his class on a bike couple years in a row
That’s worthy!