Photoradar tickets in France

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Anyone from the US or Canada have any knowledge / experience in NOT paying for a few photo radar tickets for supposedly speeding while driving a rental vehicle in France ? The request for payment was sent by in the mail by some authority and not the rental company.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Holy crap, if we have to pay all of the photo radar tickets we amassed in Europe none of us will have the money to buy a new Ford GT.

Chip

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I had a problem in Italy. The rental company charged me for them and then the government wanted me to pay again. I sent all sorts of evidence saying/showing it was paid. They didn't accept any of it. As of right now I might ever be able to go back and at least not rent a car in my name. Something really stinks with there system over there.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
It's not exactly on point but recently I had one of my employees detained at Customs & Immigration in Kuwait for not having paid an old cell phone bill (a Kuwait carrier while he lived in Kuwait). Again, not exactly on point but it is an indication authorities can and are beginning to take advantage of the digital data available these days.

If you don't plan on going back, probably no worries...

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'm really surprised that the cameras actually work and they sent payment requests.... Last year, on my family summer trip, I drove 2200+ miles from Loire to LeMans to Lyon to Nice to Monaco to Like como to Milan, and being an idiot that I am I didn't know what were the "boxes" along the freeway, until when we asked the rental car company when returned the rental car in Milan before flying to Spain that those were cameras....!!!! The rental company said no worries because 90% of those cameras don't work. Luckily, a bit more than a year now, I haven't rec'd any payment requests... Knock on wood.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I got popped in the middle of the night, 12am, on my way to the golf resort. No sign, no warning, just a bright flash on a twisty two lane country road. 80+ euro charge on my credit card from Avis.

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
The French have lost any sense of humour they had on speeding during Le Mans, and other times thinking about it. They've become annoyingly persistent. If you fancy going back I'd pay as they have long memories...

Italy, hhmmm less of an issue, you'd be unlucky have any trouble in the future.

Switzerland is the place NOT to speed. They never give up. NEVER.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Usually rental car will bill you. Depends though, the photo radar is billing owner of the vehicle, depends if the rental compny turns over your information to the authorities! In France there are usually signs warning you of the radar ahead of time, must be alert to recognize them . In France they usually are functioning , Italy is another story!!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Matthias showed me at the beginning of the trip so I was very careful.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I got a 20 Euro bill from Hertz for an administrative fee associated with a fine. Haven't received a bill for a fine from anyone. Paid my rental car bill in full.
I translated the French invoice and they want a wire transfer or check. How the hell am I going to write a US check for 20 Euros? Wiring the money will cost me twice the bill. Contacted US Hertz and got no help. Thinking of ignoring it for now.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This is the funniest thread in a long time. Keep them coming!

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
If ever there were a scenario for license plate covers...or removal...

Yeah-yeah, might get pulled over for no plate. But I'd rather risk that than the alternatives described above.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We got 2, they were called "traffic enforcement" so no idea what that were for. Hertz immediately charged my card. All in for both was $80, including admin fees.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Sixt charged my card too. It was like 20 Euros or so.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Waze live maps doesn't show the fixed photo radar outside of Sille Le Phillipe on d301. I used Sixt too, so maybe I won't be getting something......(so what has been the processing time?)

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Next time drive your GT: No front plate and funny foreign rear plate means"drive as fast as you want". Only issue I had was a reluctance of the officials at Nurburgring to let me on track with no front plate(!). Oh, and some of the team had a little problem trying to get through the Mont Blanc tunnel!

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Interesting responses indeed :wink :eek

The rental company Sixt charged a 20 or 25 euro fee directly to my credit card for each supposed infraction. This is for them passing on my mailing address to the authority that wants the $. It is my understanding that the authority cannot force the rental company to collect or charge my card on their behalf.
Hence the question: what recourse does the authority have?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Interesting responses indeed :wink :eek

The rental company Sixt charged a 20 or 25 euro fee directly to my credit card for each supposed infraction. This is for them passing on my mailing address to the authority that wants the $. It is my understanding that the authority cannot force the rental company to collect or charge my card on their behalf.
Hence the question: what recourse does the authority have?
Read your rental agreement.

Typically, the fine print says you agree to let them use the credit card on file to pay fines.

The administrative fee is only the first shot.

You have a chance to pay the fine yourself. If you don't pay, the authorities may go back to the car rental agency and ask for payment of the fine and the late penalties, which can escalate rapidly.

You may get lucky, but most European countries are quite skilled at extracting money.

Maybe some of our friends in Europe can weigh in on the joy of fines that are assessed based on income. In Germany, the maximum fine a judge can impose is capped at about $12m US, fluctuating with the exchange rate of course. Switzerland is only about $1m. Don't know about France. :)

Last edited:

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Ill check it out again. Thanks!

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
:rofl:rofl

Pretty sure if they have figured out who you are and where you live you better pay the fines .... unless you don´t plan on coming back :wink

As mentioned by others, probably not all cameras work so you probably got away with some they are not charging for .... :wink:facepalm:

#bendover #takeitlikeaman :lol:rofl

:cheers
Anders