Performance modifications

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Hi. Getting my NFGT in late Feb or March. Want to consider raising the horsepower, if safe. Has anyone done this

Reactions: Special K

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I dont think so. Would be fun, but warranty concerns (ie losing it for drive train) would be Huge concern for most people

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It's been discussed here a few times. Don't do it. But if you do please document every step for us. We want to see what the limit is.

Ed

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Have 2020 HP numbers been released?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Hi. Getting my NFGT in late Feb or March. Want to consider raising the horsepower, if safe. Has anyone done this
What’s your number? We must be close. I’m L070.

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Itd be interesting to ask someone from Ford that could know, as to the potential for more power within safe limits. Surely they have all of this data. Im not talking 300 more hp. Another 80 to 100 hp would transform the car.

Last edited:

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
I dont know that theyve given me a number, either have to ask or check my emails. Going to the factory tour this week

Reactions: Special K

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

There are cars to mod, and cars that should be left alone. The NFGT is in the 2nd camp. I spent more money modding my 2006 GT than the car cost new so I'm not opposed to mods. But the new GT is different IMO. If you own one it's yours to do with what you like, but it's a complicated machine and voiding the warranty will probably be a nightmare. All the best.

Chip

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Gentlemen,

There are cars to mod, and cars that should be left alone. The NFGT is in the 2nd camp. I spent more money modding my 2006 GT than the car cost new so I'm not opposed to mods. But the new GT is different IMO. If you own one it's yours to do with what you like, but it's a complicated machine and voiding the warranty will probably be a nightmare. All the best.

Chip
You Obviously have a point to consider. Thanks Chip

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I feel my '19 GT is plenty fast. Especially on a road race course. However, it's fast against other cars in the quarter mile as shown on this forum.

Ed

Reactions: Stef

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Have 2020 HP numbers been released?

Nope. And 2020 cars are being delivered TODAY. Perhaps I will start a thread about this later.

Itd be interesting to ask someone from Ford that could know, as to the potential for more power within safe limits. Surely they have all of this data. Im not talking 300 more hp. Another 80 to 100 hp would transform the car.

Nobody from Ford will ever tell you to raise the HP. I would also advise you not to. The 2020 powertrain can handle a little more power, but it won't be sold closer to the edge because of other system components that suppliers won't warranty. Don't void your warranty. That's my 2 cents.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I dont know that theyve given me a number, either have to ask or check my emails. Going to the factory tour this week
It’s the last 4 of your vin. 😎

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Lots of complexities that would need to be addressed by the tune, including but not limited to traction control, anti turbo lag etc. Hennessy who has (or had at this point) one of these cars, had listed on their site that they were going to "tune" it, but I never saw anything actually happen. John Hennessy has participated here, and I'm SURE he would have posted it if they had done anything. The point of this babble, is this is not your "normal" car that wakes up with a tune. Its pretty potent as it is, and Ford didn't leave much on the table.

Maybe @tmcphail Torrie can chime in.

Reactions: Vince H

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Not that I plan on modding mine (whenever I get it), but for the sake of discussion- does anybody know anything about Kurt Busch's GT launch control? Appears to be modified. I've seen videos of it with a noticeably more rapid "stutter" of the launch control speed, which has the potential to improve the 60-foot times, or at least the consistency of them. Also the potential to cause damage, and void the warranty, of course... but I found it interesting.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
He added some type of piggy back controller early on. They had a splash of advertising about it right away and then it all rapidly disappeared, and you can guess why.

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
Of course the safe thing is not to alter or tune the car in any way that might compromise the warranty. I appreciate your suggestions, and respect your opinions i know they come from the right place and certainly everyone should do with their car what they want. But it sure would be fun to tweak it a bit. Im sure their are complexities to doing it right and no one wants to be the guinea pig and end up breaking something, but all new supercars are complex and theyre tuned all the time. Just dont quite understand the part of "not this car" "aside from warranty" too well... to close to limits?...too valuable?...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The GT is expensive to work on and has a limited service structure. It's also more complex than you think and I can assure you that if you give someone a valid reason to void your warranty they will. You do not want to void your warranty. A lot of the components are close enough to design limit that it's a waste of time to modify it because the risk/reward is not worth it. There's a high probability things will not go well when tweaked. It's also a $600k limited production car that will never be repeated.

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
The GT is expensive to work on and has a limited service structure. It's also more complex than you think and I can assure you that if you give someone a valid reason to void your warranty they will. You do not want to void your warranty. A lot of the components are close enough to design limit that it's a waste of time to modify it because the risk/reward is not worth it. There's a high probability things will not go well when tweaked. It's also a $600k limited production car that will never be repeated.
please explain "limited service stucture"

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
please explain "limited service stucture"

There are limited locations and personnel capable of servicing the car.

nid4spd

FORD GT OWNER
Jun 3, 2006
There are limited locations and personnel capable of servicing the car.
Thanks