penske shocks

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
do Penske shocks soften the ride from stock if desired.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Penske shock adjustment

Canuck - the biggest factor will be the spring rate. You can reduce the low speed compression also. One thing you can't eliminate is that the connection to the frame from the shock will no longer be rubber but metal to metal. It results in more jars & vibes from irregular/rough road surfaces. On smooth surfaces it's fine. I wouldn't go back to stock for how I like to drive the GT. Using Alex's lowering kit on the stock shocks can preserve the soft ride.

Ed

PS The look of the Penske's is definitely more race like. The stock shocks look like something off a Focus.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you go with Alex's single adjustable set up,I think you get the best of both worlds.The single adjustable adjust rebound and damping.I soften them up for the street.I think the softer settings are pretty close to stock.I will say however,the stiffer settings for track use, turn it into race car on rails! My 02

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
No.

Even with softer springs the ride would be harsher unless you get rubber bushings. The metal bushings on my Penski's provide instant feedback but they are harsher and noiser.

Chip

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I have been using a set of double adjustable Moton Motorsport shocks and the car definitely rides better than stock on the softer settings but each click makes a noticeable difference in damping/rebound. The only problem is that Moton didn't make too many sets and they are all spoken for but with enough interrest, they may make another run. I can't recommend them highly enough.

930shark

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2008
I’ve had my Pense’s on for about one month and was about to take them off due to the way it makes the car feel like a tin can from the solid mounts. But I decided to give them a chance. Now I don’t think they’re coming off. The car drives soooo much better on the track and on nice road trips. It’s so precise and the body roll is gone. But be warned, that bank vault feel of the factory setup is gone. I’m not sure this setup is for everyone.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
We do have the option to use the stock isolators on the non-adjustable Penske shock.
With stock or even softer spring rates.

Could even tune the shock valving even softer as required.

Also have a soft set that is slightly used at a low buck price

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14716&highlight=Penske

Have offerd this set for $2000 but no takes yet.
That is less than the factory shocks. And alow you to tune the ride hight.
Are repairable and revalvable ?

Lightning

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 9, 2006
Hutchinson, Kansas
shocks

Alex, I'll take those shocks. Will contact you in the morning.
Vince

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Awsome feed back. Thanks all.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
And best of all......

...........they look TRICK !! Note the remote gas charged oil reservoir mounted just aft of the upper shock mount.

Chip

Attachments

• Penski.jpg
    Penski.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 138

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
They are the trick set up!!If you are at the rally ,I will be giving rides and you can experience the set up for yourself .