Parts availability and PPIs

NMFGT

Aug 14, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Greetings all. I’m new to the forum and looking to buy a Tungsten Ford GT and wondering about a few things that I haven’t found the answers to on the forum (may have not used the correct search words).

Do you foresee parts availability as being an issue in the future to make servicing the car a problem and therefore the car remains off the road because there is no part available for the repair? I understand there are a number of “ford parts bin” parts easy to get and also a number of bespoke parts. I have heard that Doug DeMuro waited 6 weeks for 2 screws and I have read that someone waited 6 months for a part and that this past May Ford had no oil pump belt in stock nationwide. Is this going to be a big issue moving forward or are there always work arounds? Can’t imagine what it would be like to own a car grounded for months because there was no part to fix it.

If I buy the Ford GT from BJ Motors or Desneux, do I need to get a PPI? I imagine these 3 dealerships which have sold many GTs must recognize paint work suggesting prior vehicle damage, must recognize a fluid leak on the floor from the engine, shocks, brakes or an A/C leak needing recharge. It makes sense to get a PPI with private sales or dealerships that do not sell a lot of GTs but these 3 dealerships who all seem to have excellent reputations on the forum, can they discern any problems without having to fly someone in to look at the car? Any issues with the 3 dealerships mentioned above?

I live in Santa Fe NM. Anyone happen to know if there is someone in my area who works on these cars? When you live in the boondocks like I do, is the local Ford dealership a viable backup when there is no one else?

Thank you very much for your insights. Looking forward to joining the club. I’ve raced a Porsche in the past and owned a few different 911s but never seen a car as gorgeous as the 2005-6 Ford GT. Really enjoyed reading gtjoey’s book and salivating over all the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There are several folks that travel to do PPIs. You do have to pay expenses.

The dealers you mention have good reputations as only taking "no stories" cars. That doesn't mean you don't want a PPI, but many people have not gotten one. A friend of mine bought a car from one of them sight unseen and had no issues with it.

It seems you're watching the usual places. I'd also keep an eye on Bring A Trailer. They seem to be attracting more GTs over the past months. Of course for one there you'd want a PPI.

Good luck.

NMFGT

Aug 14, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Thanks twobjshelbys. Bought my Porsche on BaT which seems to be doing well for Ford GT sellers.

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I bought my car from one of the above mentioned dealers in the spring of 2019. I drove, with my wife, 1341 miles from Vegas to my home in Alberta, Canada and in fact, I just got back from a 2 hour drive today. Based on the dealers reputation I chose to forego the PPI and trust their reputation. Maybe a little naive on my part but I felt I had done enough research to go for it without a PPI.

The car is pristine and the only repair so far was the front hood struts. It's been a great experience but I have to admit, I was scared shitless waiting for the car to show up at the delivery destination in Vegas but all is freakin great.

QSS

Reactions: Cadster
Greetings all. I’m new to the forum and looking to buy a Tungsten Ford GT and wondering about a few things that I haven’t found the answers to on the forum (may have not used the correct search words).

Do you foresee parts availability as being an issue in the future to make servicing the car a problem and therefore the car remains off the road because there is no part available for the repair? I understand there are a number of “ford parts bin” parts easy to get and also a number of bespoke parts. I have heard that Doug DeMuro waited 6 weeks for 2 screws and I have read that someone waited 6 months for a part and that this past May Ford had no oil pump belt in stock nationwide. Is this going to be a big issue moving forward or are there always work arounds? Can’t imagine what it would be like to own a car grounded for months because there was no part to fix it.
I intend to keep my 05 "forever" if I can. Most parts are readily available now, but I believe parts availability in the future will be problematic. Ford does not make new part runs until there is enough demand to justify the investment, and often (of course) Ford makes you buy an entire assembly to get the single small cheap part you need (see toe link boots, which are fortunately available from the UK). I have already found a number of parts that were not available anywhere at any price, or that exist in only single-digit quantities. You should be prepared for that. And of course, there is the absence of transaxle parts, although at least one after-market mfg has begun to make some, but they are expensive. In addition, prices for all GT parts keep rising, sometimes astronomically, as it appears the Ford algorithm for automatic pricing does not take into account whether a price is "reasonable". If I need a part, I generally buy a spare to keep on the shelf until needed.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Note for newbies: In order to get a Ford GT part from a dealer in most cases you will have to show your current registration to show you own the car and are not stockpiling parts.

NMFGT

Aug 14, 2020
Santa Fe, NM
Thanks guys for your insights.

Graydon