Parking brake pad replacement

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
One parking brake pad separated from the pad body and has shifted a hair. Replacement pads run from $11 for a semi-metallic pad to $261 for a Ford part. Brembo pad substituting for the Ford part number is $50. Anyone with thoughts or a knowledgeable response to the cost variation? Will I have to replace it, again, in another 106,000 miles? Open for thoughts on what will work well.

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
because they can.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
If the Ford pads were cheap, someone would have bought them all a few years ago and would be selling them on eBay for $261, and then people would complain that they aren’t available from Ford.

I don’t see how you could go wrong with Brembo pads.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
261 / 11 = 23.7. Lots of $11 pads for the price of 1. What makes you think it wouldn't work just as good? Inspection might show why but it'd certainly be worth a look.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'd go with the Ford product.It may not be any better.But piece of mind is priceless.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Weren’t the oem GT brakes supplied by Brembo? (Or is my memory bad?)

Edit: pic from ‘06 brochure.
4ABE6F4E-8565-4AE8-BE55-2E21C686F8DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes, Brembo, borrowed from an Aston Martin, as the Aston "wings" logos are present on the GT's calipers.

Reactions: centerpunch

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Since its a parking brake pad, I wouldnt pay the $261. Might be worth buying the Brembo for piece of mind.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
OEM pads are Ferodo. I don't know about parking brake pads. But ask yourself, what will it take to stand up to the stress of...oh, wait...there is no stress on a parking brake. Unless you're using it for handbrake turns?

Actually, I will amend the "no stress" comment. There is substantial stress if you use the parking brake after washing the car or driving in the wet and the pad "welds" to the rotor and/or has to break free of the surrounding rust. Don't do that. I can see that as an explanation for pad separation/shifting.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Actually, I will amend the "no stress" comment. There is substantial stress if you use the parking brake after washing the car or driving in the wet and the pad "welds" to the rotor and/or has to break free of the surrounding rust. Don't do that. I can see that as an explanation for pad separation/shifting.

The other time parking brake pads bond is right after a track run when the brakes and rotors are smokin hot. The driving schools always tell you not to set the parking brake after coming off the track.

Reactions: Xcentric

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
OEM pads are Ferodo. I don't know about parking brake pads. But ask yourself, what will it take to stand up to the stress of...oh, wait...there is no stress on a parking brake. Unless you're using it for handbrake turns?

Ditto what Xcentric said. One of my parking brake pads came loose from the backing and fell under the car as I backed it out of the garage. I had washed the car and put it directly in the garage. The rotors were still wet, and the pad stuck (rusted) itself to the rotor. This also happens to the main brake pads if you put it away wet. I've learned (the hard way) to go run the car around the block to dry off the brakes before parking it.

As for me, I just epoxied the pad to the backing and set the parking brake to mash the glue until it cured. Hey, it's just a parking brake! If you're Hooning around and using the parking brake in ways it was never intended, I'd buy the Ferodos.