Panel screw placement during oil change

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Today I did an oil change on my '19 NFGT. The CFunder panel you remove to do the oil change has 36 screws that need to be removed. I remember hearing somewhere that the screws are not the same size so I decided to keep track of what screw came out of what panel hole locate.

I've got the official Ford repair manual/CD and they have an illustration showing the location of the screws, but no mention of different screw sizes. I printed out the picture and labeled each screw hole with a number. Then as I removed each one I used a piece of cardboard with holes to place each screw into the corresponding panel location number. It appears that Ford used two different size screws to attach the panel. I called them L (large) and S (small) and marked the cardboard holder with hole numbers and size (L,S) designation.

Call me compulsive, but I wanted to make sure and get the right size screw back where Ford had designed it to be.

Attached is a picture of the screws in the cardboard, the panel illustration with hole numbers and finally a close up of the two screws side by side.

Hope this maybe helps out if you are going to do your own oil changes.

Interesting fact that when I first got the car, hole location #1 was missing a screw. Dealer did the first oil change and didn't mention that a screw was missing nor did they source one to replace it. Guess a $1300 oil change doesn't warrant a $2 screw replacement. Just saying!!

20200617_143727.jpg20200617_143811.jpg20200617_181042.jpg

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Thanks for the chart. We had a similar issue with the pans on our Lotus, once we had long short figured, we would put a paint dot on the head and on the pan, different color for each length. I will use this as a template. (y)

Reactions: FerrariSlayer

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Your problem is obvious - You need to work clockwise.

Reactions: JWZ

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
This is great. Appreciate you doing this.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
I wonder is if this pattern is consistent for all the cars.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I wonder is if this pattern is consistent for all the cars.
I wondered about the placement since I had the dealer do the first oil change (actually 2 -see previous posting), but there does seem to be a pattern that they put them back in and not just randomly inserted screws. So I assume all NFGT cars follow this.

NFGT Under Panel Screw Placement.jpg

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Your problem is obvious - You need to work clockwise.
I'm retired so I don't have to do anything by the clock!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Haha good work Gary !!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I had missing screws too.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
In my Last oil & filter change (which was not done by the same mechanic) there were 2 missing screws from the center panel and he noticed other screws 4 missing in other panels also. His comment was that when your car comes back from being worked on put it up on a lift and check for missing screws because some mechanics are not putting them in a safe place and they are lost or swep up by cleanup people at night! BEWARE!!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Room for plenty of jokes about loose and missing screws with you guys.

Reactions: BtwoG and steved57

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
If the screws are being lost and not replaced does not give me allot of confidence in the dealer! I noticed screws were missing on my focus RS after dealer service. I would not expect the same for the GT! Another reason to do it myself ( like my 05 GT!).

Reactions: steved57

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
A real good mechanic knows which screws weren't really needed.

Reactions: Special K

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
My screws were missing from Markham. The “hand-built” category is not always a good thing!