Paint Protection advice

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
1) Do most of you have paint correction done before PPF? I have 19 miles and have not driven the car but it does have very light scratches. Hard to see but if you look really hard it’s there.

2) What is the best way to do the exhaust area. Xpel pre cut kit goes around the tips and some have complained that the heat will cause delamination of the PPF.

3) the factory film applied to protect the paint around the wing. My PPF shop recommends removing it. He says the new film will protect it.

4) Do most of you remove the side view mirrors for a cleaner install?

1DAD4590-B7ED-4637-8056-8BD0E3094BB4.jpeg8A2A4252-552F-489B-BEB4-B2AE6B17E58A.jpeg

Reactions: JWZ and Cadster

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Fred on the Exhaust openings. The rear panel has been re-designed and there is more room from the tips to the panel surface. I think there is a safe clearance with todays design.

Reactions: spartan

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I agree with David on the exhaust openings. As for the paint correct, I think it is more important on darker colors. My white looked almost perfect so I skipped it for time’s sake. I didn’t remove my mirrors and the seam is almost invisible... see pic below. Also, I wouldn’t recommend removing the mirrors now in case something is damaged, parts could be on short supply right now... and I had them remove the factory PPF by the wing.AFC307E3-6935-4E5B-B157-9AC99E1B8C01.jpegAC569EB7-D2B7-480D-A6F6-786565089124.jpegD1CE80C2-5D57-4D4E-AFC3-EDA09AEB4A8D.jpeg

Last edited:

LMF427

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2019
California / Florida
I’ve always had a paint correction done before PPF. PPF is for the long term so you may as well get everything perfect for the long term. Also being that it’s still not quite driving season up north, I would take advantage of the time and have everything done, paint correction, mirrors off, etc. Just my two cents.

Reactions: maxemus

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
1. I did

2. I have the area left alone, sounds like things have changed

3, I dont think this is applicable to an early 2018

4. Heck yeah pull em, as I did a thread about it, because I would have seen the seam (but I did it my self)

Reactions: maxemus and spartan

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
1. I did

2. I have the area left alone, sounds like things have changed Are you seeing any delamination/issues?

3, I dont think this is applicable to an early 2018

4. Heck yeah pull em, as I did a thread about it, because I would have seen the seam (but I did it my self) Please post the thread where you removed your side view mirrors.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
1. All I will say is do the paint correction on any color and get the finish perfect before the PPF is applied.
2. Heat problems around the exhaust has been taken care of on newer models. On my 2017 I’ve never had a problem with heat as I mix fuel with a catalyst mixture to reduce the heat and have never had a problem.
3. We never removed the small piece we covered over it and my wing does not damage the finish other than a small invention.
4. We DID NOT remove my mirrors and a skilled installer can do a very perfect job without their removal
NOTE: The more experienced the installer of PPF is and the cleaner area he does it the better the job will be and I believe in the Ceramic Pro coating on everything which makes it shine and easier to keep clean. My GT is 32 months old and looks perfect! Good luck!

Last edited:

Pat Milliken Ford

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 15, 2017
Redford, Michigan
1. Paint correction is always good but most that i have delivered have not had that done.
2. The exhaust seems to be not a problem anymore. Now if you track the car who knows...
3. Yes, that piece usually gets removed.
4. Motor City Solutions has removed tons of mirrors with no issues. Yes have them remove them.

ScottK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
1. Yep on the paint correction. If your installer has done any GT’s he’ll know where to look. Super hard car to paint perfectly.
2. I skipped the exhaust area. PPF isn’t going to save it if I hit something. On the other hand it gets dirty back there so needs to be cleaned a lot.
3. Yep remove the tape for the wing before PPF’ing. The 2020’s have two round “bumpers” for the wing to rest on. Leave those alone.
4. If I didn’t trust the shop to remove the mirrors I wouldn’t have let them PPF the car.

JMO..

Would normally say c’mon over, I’m local, but alas we are all living in a new world...

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
<<3. Yep remove the tape for the wing before PPF’ing. The 2020’s have two round “bumpers” for the wing to rest on. Leave those alone. >>

What is the reason to remove the factory ppf and not just cover it over?

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
<<3. Yep remove the tape for the wing before PPF’ing. The 2020’s have two round “bumpers” for the wing to rest on. Leave those alone. >>

What is the reason to remove the factory ppf and not just cover it over?
VYPRGT2 , I believe it should be removed for clearance purposes. It have protectant film there to protect body panel from wing. Stacking layers there might cause the wing to make contact.

Reactions: spartan and ScottK

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Brand new cars, fresh from the factory, should still have paint correction done, prior to the PPF installation. No paint is perfect, no matter how good, there will still be some imperfections, and even with correction, most likely perfection at 100% is highly unlikely. Brand new, or just purchased (used), I have had all my cars, corrected, then wrapped, then ceramic'd.

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Thanks EVERYONE for the advice, input and feedback. It is much appreciated.

1) I'm going to pass on the paint correction.
2) The shop will apply the full rear exhaust dual oval cutouts but will repair it if needed.
3) Wing protection "patch" will be removed.
4) Mirrors will be removed.

I'm close to completing the entire belly pan PPF. Not perfect but decent for something that no one will see except for Joe and myself.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Brand new cars, fresh from the factory, should still have paint correction done, prior to the PPF installation. No paint is perfect, no matter how good, there will still be some imperfections, and even with correction, most likely perfection at 100% is highly unlikely. Brand new, or just purchased (used), I have had all my cars, corrected, then wrapped, then ceramic'd.
Ditto here! Finished example

Attachments

• 206CFE7E-5A2D-457C-9ABD-712D5C1C5DB5.jpeg
    206CFE7E-5A2D-457C-9ABD-712D5C1C5DB5.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 21

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I also double filmed the front fascia and on the sides from the belt line down

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
rocketman, Your car turned out great. Now its ready for everything except Covid-19.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
rocketman, Your car turned out great. Now its ready for everything except Covid-19.
He still owes me hot laps at LimeRock, I haven't forgotten!!!

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
5A092F6E-5592-4550-AEBB-3461F60FD0A0_1_201_a.jpeg
No paint correction-I thought the paint was top notch from the factory and any potential issues would be hidden by the PPF anyway.
Mirrors not removed
Exhaust wrapped inferiorly from mid exhaust tip
Double wrapped in high impact zones
Clearplex
Wrap interior bits in matte finish
Enjoy...

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
No paint correction
Mirrors not removed
Exhaust area left nekkid
Double wrapped by aero tunnel’s exit to door. I did a DIY layer of PPF on the underside of the front CF splitter and on the CF inside the front wheel wells behind tires, where air and rocks exit to the door. Hidden areas, but let’s say this...I need to keep my day job as a surgeon 😷
Suntek
No factory film near my wing. J047

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Keep your day job. America needs you.
Andy (ajb)