Paint Bubbling

a snake

GT Owner
Jul 8, 2010
roanoke, va.
Just recently noticed that we have a couple small areas where the paint, on the top of the front cover is showing small bubbles, size of pin heads. any idea what could be causing this and what might be done to correct it?

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Is the paint bubbling or is there a chance it is something on top of the paint? I had something on mine that resembled what you are talking about, however it turned out to be something on the paint and was easily removed.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was thinking the same thing. Try a clay bar on the area to see. It won't make it worse and could make it better.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Sounds like corrosion under the paint. I have seen this on many cars but mostly painted aluminum parts.

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If that's on the Luggage Hood, it's fiberglass, and there have been other reports of this problem a few years back. As Frank would say, "try a search," but, it was a defect in some of the hoods.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Pin dots of tree Sap can harden in sun to look like that

Try 3M adhesive remover, WD40 or Tarminator

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Mine has a few air bubbles - don't pick at it. Leave it alone!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When this Forum got started, this was a big bone of contention. There are spots where the paint job just was not "perfect," identified primarily by small, popped bubbles. This was the paint process at Sallen. Bubbles on the center console are an entirely different matter. You can be anoretentive and have these areas fixed, but the general overall opinion years ago was this was "factory" and should not be touched-up.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Years ago this problem showed up on the Forum and some at the time found it to be a break down of the clear coat and was lightly sanded or compounded then polished and buffed and came out perfect. I have an area on my front hood area that looks the same way. I'll try the above method soon. I've just put it off to see if it's gets worse.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
What color color is your car? I have a cracking problem in that area and have a red car. Just curious if it was confined to a certain color.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Years ago this problem showed up on the Forum and some at the time found it to be a break down of the clear coat and was lightly sanded or compounded then polished and buffed and came out perfect. I have an area on my front hood area that looks the same way. I'll try the above method soon. I've just put it off to see if it's gets worse.

process is called "color sanding" Tommy - and works great.....

as soon as the stupid ass pollen leaves the area (should be mid to late May), I'm going at my car with the clay bar and porta cable... then will decide if she need more TLC...

here is an article on how to.... pretty drastic as I'll probably start with 1500 or 200 grit

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0805_color_sanding/

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
My car has this on the front luggage cover. It is fiberglass and it looks like print through of the underlying fiberglass structure. I had the car covered in clear bra right after I bought it and therefore didn't see it until I changed the clear bra recently. My advice is cover it with clear bra and you almost can't see it. Would require a repair and repaint otherwise.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have it too. I seem to recall that it is caused by the resin in the fiberglass. I bought a new hood to have painted, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Roger

GT Owner
Apr 3, 2015
My 2006 Heritage Edition hasmthe paint bubbling luggage hood,appearance. I am trying to get all the info regarding the problem. Appreciate you guys alot

Roger
2006 Heritage edition GT
69 Shelby gt 500 comvertible
58 Corvette big brake
70 Challenger comvert

oli

Sep 15, 2012
Hayden Lake
Anyone have a pic?

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I like old pottery. And sometimes there is "crazing" in the ceramic or the paint. Kind of like the "checking" you see on a paint job (of a car) if they just painted over the old paint. I see something like that on the luggage hood of one of my cars.
Like has been reported I think it's just factory.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I like old pottery. And sometimes there is "crazing" in the ceramic or the paint. Kind of like the "checking" you see on a paint job (of a car) if they just painted over the old paint. I see something like that on the luggage hood of one of my cars.
Like has been reported I think it's just factory.

I was one of the owners early on ~2007 when I picked up my car the front hood crazed to the right of the latch into a three inch CRACK/ GASH... I didn't even pick up the car and get in it and could see it. Service Mgr couldn't understand but knew it was not there when I dropped it off in the AM. Replaced under warranty but I lost the original 05 rough hood for the 06+ replacement... it happens............

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My front hood will be repainted next week by my dealer. In 2007 while under warranty my dealer replaced the hood as it wasn't smooth enough to him or something like that. He painted the new hood & all was well until 2014 when little pin head sized bumps started appearing. They continued to become more numerous over time. They are not air bubbles. Most people feel it is due to either contaminants on the fiberglass surface or mold release agents on the surface if it is new. There are many solutions discussed over the internet. Especially on Vette forums as they have fiberglass bodies on the older models.

Ed

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Here is the best photo I could do. The reflection makes it difficult. The bumps are not white but the light made some of them look that way in the photo. You can't see it in the photo but they are also present on the white surfaces.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
No rime or reason as to where blemishes show up but most always on the hood. Mine appear on the white color and not the blue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 205