Overhead door receiver/latch

Tomcat

GT Owner
Anybody use this latch to adjust the alignment of the top of the door?
I found one of the bolts in my "latch" on the passenger side door has some of the star stripped out of it. I think it is a S25. Anybody have first hand knowledge if these have (hidden) nuts on the other side or are they just in a threaded hole (Pem nut)?
I want to replace the bolt before it becomes unserviceable BUT I do not want to lose a nut if that is on the backside/hidden.
Thanks, Tom
Door latch 2.jpg

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I’m sure those are backed with a captured nut or threaded reinforcement, otherwise it would have been difficult to install at the factory. You can check by unscrewing it part way and seeing if it backs out or not.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I’m sure those are backed with a captured nut or threaded reinforcement, otherwise it would have been difficult to install at the factory. You can check by unscrewing it part way and seeing if it backs out or not.
It started to back out (like a capture nut)...so I am pretty sure you are right.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
There are plates bonded on to the roof skin from the back side and they have nuts welded or pem style I forget to attach them.

Reactions: fjpikul

Tomcat

GT Owner
There are plates bonded on to the roof skin from the back side and they have nuts welded or pem style I forget to attach them.
Cool, now I will head to the hardware store to try to find matching replacements

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Cool, now I will head to the hardware store to try to find matching replacements

just order the torx screws from ford as you will not find them at a hardware store. They have a special small head on them.

Tomcat

GT Owner

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

It's designed to keep the door flush with top of roof yes.

Tomcat

GT Owner
It's designed to keep the door flush with top of roof yes.
Great, but as I adjusted it the door closing did not seem quite as smooth so I think I'm going to leave it alone for now.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My passenger side was off and I had to adjust it with the bolts on the door hinges.

Tomcat

GT Owner
My passenger side was off and I had to adjust it with the bolts on the door hinges.
Thanks, I think I'm going to leave it alone for now as I really do like the way the doors close.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If the doors close smoothly, and you don’t have wind noise, don’t mess with it!

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

Tomcat

GT Owner
If the doors close smoothly, and you don’t have wind noise, don’t mess with it!

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”
100%