Old school Audio ...for New Ford GT..question

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
--We have a large collection of Music CD's ..the small, shiny, plastic discs.
--I do not have an I-phone but a Samsung Galaxy.
--The New Ford GT ( H-0098 in my case) does NOT HAVE the ability to play music CD's --NO SLOT but several input jacks .

My question to anyone who is an audio geek...

are there any CD players on the market that I could purchase, hook up to the
New Ford GT audio system through one of the input jacks, and play CD's ??

andy (ajb)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Andy I suppose you can use any portable Cd player and get a adapter cable that goes from the cd player to the input jacks on the car. I dont know what kind of input jacks are on the new GT but the hardest part is to find the right adapter cable.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Not tried it yet but I’m guessing I can play music from my Iphone via one of the usb ports (there’s two on the dash). Problem will be where to put the phone, there is zero storage space in these cars!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Convert the CDs first to MP3. Can do on any computer. May need a tween to show you.
Then copy the MP3s from comouter to your phone.
Plug phone into car and voila

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You might be out of luck. I just looked, and under "audio sources", there are 3 selections. AM FM and Bluetooth. There is not a traditional "line in" (3.5mm standard headphone jack plug in). I could be wrong, but I thought the USB ports were only for power.

You might have to break down and either rip your CD's and get them on your phone, or subscribe to Spotify.

are there any CD players on the market that I could purchase, hook up to the
New Ford GT audio system through one of the input jacks, and play CD's ??

Are you aware of the slot just in front of the start button? Your iphone might fit, the phone will stand up vertically. My droid wont fit.

Not tried it yet but I’m guessing I can play music from my Iphone via one of the usb ports (there’s two on the dash). Problem will be where to put the phone, there is zero storage space in these cars!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I haven't messed with it yet, but the NGT uses Sync 3. The USB ports should function as audio ports and charging ports just as they do on any Sync 3 system. If I have time today I will check. AJB, my suggestion would be to buy a cheap ipod and download all your cds to it using itunes. Easy to do. I have used an ipod touch for many years on all the sync systems. The iPods are slim and trim and you won't need to carry a CD player of all the discs I will go check now.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
1. Collect all CD’s and take them to Goodwill
2. Ask for an iPhone from Santa
3. Subscribe to Apple Music for $10 / month
4. Thank me at the next rally. :)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My old ipod (13 years old) does not work through the USB port. Message says not supported. Bluetooth through a newer ipod ma y work, but my ipod touch is in Chicago and I can't try it. Download to phone may work and then run through Bluetooth.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
1. Collect all CD’s and take them to Goodwill
2. Ask for an iPhone from Santa
3. Subscribe to Apple Music for $10 / month
4. Thank me at the next rally. :)

:rofl :rofl :rofl

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The Sync3 owners manual says the USB ports are for any USB device. I'll try an iPad.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I just tried an older iPad and had no problem getting it to play on the sync system using the USB port.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Good to know Frank, I stand corrected.

For me personally, I have never turned the audio system yet (and wont). Same on the 05.

So Andy, if you still had your heart set on playing 5" shiny silver discs, here is an option. Its a Bluetooth enabled portable CD player.

And Look its even branded for Vince and Susan:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-HO...-7&keywords=portable+cd+player+with+bluetooth

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The NGT has Apple Car Play. Get an iPhone & plug it in. Your phone will now be on your Sync screen. It's very cool. You can also use Bluetooth but I like Apple Car Play.

Ed

PS Bat - LOL!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
AJB - buy an iPod Touch for $199. Transfer all your CDs to your newly opened Music Library in iTunes on your computer for free. Then you can listen via Bluetooth or Apple Car Play! Call me on the phone when you ready to do it & I will walk you through it.

Ed

06VistaBlueGT

Aug 30, 2006
So I'm not an owner at all. I've had the login for a long time, and I'm only a watcher (I love the GT, the 2005-2006 is my dream car as I've driven friends cars several times. I work for a Ford dealer in sales for many many years and I used to pick it up for my friend (before he passed away last month) and deliver it home after we did state inspection). I never post as I respect this forum so much as its mainly for owners. But I saw the topic and wanted to help.

For anyone who wants to use their CDs, its easy. Put your CDs in your computer. Then plug into one of the spare USB ports on your terminal a Flash Drive (preferably a large memory one 64G or more. They are very cheap on Amazon).

Highlight each song's MP3 file and drag to the USB that is listed as temporary storage (drive D or E or whatever). Once you get all your CDs filled into the Flash Drive, remove the drive. Then plug it into the USB into the GT.

On your steering wheel, press the SYNC button (little face button) and say "USB". When you have a drive plugged into it, and say USB it will recognize it, and start to index the files and also learn speech commands to know the names of the songs, and artists and genres. This usually takes a minute or two, depending on how many songs you stored on the drive.

Once its done, you can tell SYNC what to play. You say USB, it repeat "USB" and ask for a command, Say "Play Billy Joel" if you have any Billy Joel on your drive and it will play all the songs of him in alphabetical order. Its pretty simple.

Hope this helps you out. Logging off now. Have a wonderful holiday everyone! :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ripping CD's is an easy process. It just takes time, and for many of a generation that didn't grow up with computers, it does pose other challenges as well.

Also lets say you have 1000 CD's even if it takes only one minute, that's still over 16 hours straight, and that's with out distraction, or even getting the CD's out and ready. So there can be other factors as well.

Lets not even bring up, going through the effort of ripping to 320 MP3 and the sound degradation of a bit for bit WAV copy, vs the space convenience, and ID3 tags.

06VistaBlueGT appreciate the input!!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Many thanks 06VistaBlueGT!

Ed