Oil pressure sender replacement, not in manual?

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I am replacing my oil pressure sender, and I cant find it in the 05 manual. Where is this guy located and how do you swap it out?

As always, thanks for the help.

Cavan

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
its 9D290 in the diagram below.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 340

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It is easiest to do from underneath with the mid-pan off. From underneath, just look at the driver's front side of the engine just aft and under the oil cooler. It's the only sensor there and will have a 2-wire connector. If you have the new one, you already know what it looks like! Disconnect the plug and then un-screw the sensor. Use teflon tape or an oil-tolerant thread paste and install the new sensor. Note that when you remove the sensor you will get a few ounces of oil out so have a small container ready.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Thanks for the help guys! Will hopefully get it switched this week.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
Mine started reading erratically again yesterday, and when I replace it this time it will be my third sending unit in less than 4000 miles. The gage fluctuates randomly from 35 to 50 PSI while at steady speed and load. Anyone know if there is a better sending unit available?

Eddie

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Not that I am aware of.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Are you sure it's the sending unit and not the gauge?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Some fluctuation is normal

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Are you sure it's the sending unit and not the gauge?

Pretty sure. The oil pressure was always rock steady until one day it suddenly started randomly fluctuating from normal 50 psi at 65mph, down to maybe 35-40 or so and then back to 50, all at sready speed and throttle.

The Ford tech diagnosed it as a faulty sender and replaced it, and it was rock steady again for a year or so, and then repeated the problem. The Ford tech again diagnosed it as a faulty sending unit and replaced it, and again the oil pressure was rock steady for about a year. Then Sunday on the way to church, the fluctuation came back exactly like the first two times.

It is not that big a deal to replace, but three in less than 4000 miles seems excessive, especially since in the millions of miles I've covered in all kinds of other vehicles, I've never had a single failure of a sending unit---- just seems like there should be a more durable unit out there somewhere?

Eddie

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Some fluctuation is normal

Absolutely, especially with different engine temps, speed and throttle settings, etc.

But not a 25% fluctuation in steady-state conditions, constant temps, rpm, throttle, etc. The Ford tech diagnosed the sending unit as faulty, twice before, with exactly the same issue that just resurfaced. A new sending unit fixed it right up, twice before, but now I need a third--

Like I said -not that big of a deal, but if there was a better unit available I'd rather pony up for one that I don't have to replace again. If not, I still rejoice in the car every time I look at it or drive it or answer questions from an admiring public, a little deal like this is the most minor of imperfections!

Eddie

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Yeah, thats a big swing..i see 50-60

Did u change oil recently?

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Yeah, thats a big swing..i see 50-60

Did u change oil recently?

No, neither the first two that were replaced by Ford under warranty, nor this malfunction that just showed up, were immediately before-or after- an oil change. When Ford warranted the senders before, we did not change oil at the same time. In other words, the faulty senders were causing fluctuating oil pressure readings while I was driving TO the dealership, and then when I left the dealership with the new sender installed, the oil pressure readings were normal and steady, with the same oil I arrived with. Both times.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Maybe one of the GT team members can find and give you the specs of the current sender. It's likely a resistance variation with pressure. Then you can go looking for another sending unit from a different manufacturer, or perhaps from another Ford vehicle.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It's a standard Ford sending unit and inexpensive. A small fraction of the gauge price. Replace it (almost trivial with pans off), and see what happens.

Specs are in the Service manual if you really cared.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
I'll just put another of the standard sending units on the car. Since this is apparently not normally a frequent failure point, and since I've already had three in 3800 miles, I'm thinking that statistical probability is that the next one will last forever--

Thanks for the responses, guys. :thumbsup

Eddie

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Let's back up to the first sender. Maybe it wasn't diagnosed correctly. Possibly you have a bad ground, bad battery connections, or even a bad battery. At 3 years, my battery went bad. First ride of the year, after winter storage. Car was on factory battery tender all winter. If you need a new battery, try to get a new factory replacement because of dimensions. I had a hard time getting mine. Try Torrie here on the forum. P.M. me sometime when you are free. By the way, I forgot to mention my guage showed no oil pressure at year 3.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Hi, Jim,

Ercie and I enjoyed talking to you today. Thanks for your interest and the phone call. Just to reiterate what you and I discussed today, in case someone else is interested-- here is more on my little problem.

The first sending unit failed while the car still had the original battery. The original battery was warranted by Ford, and a new original equipment type battery was installed. The second sending unit failed while the car had the replacement OEM battery- which the car still has, now that the car needs the third sending unit. So the car has always had the OEM-type battery, and the second sending unit malfunction did not coincide with the demise and replacement of the original battery. And never a hint of any battery deficiency on this second battery.

I used the original battery tender 'till about a year ago, and since then I'm using the after market Battery Tender that we sell at my motorcycle/Ariel Atom dealership--I prefer having a red/green light on the charger so I know for sure it is plugged in and working.

Cheers-

Eddie

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...--I prefer having a red/green light on the charger so I know for sure it is plugged in and working....

amen!!