Oil change result and question part 2

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Ok I went over to a buddy's house to do his oil change. It took 3 plus hours and I found a big problem. While removing the filter cap It felt like it was sticking and the cap was coming off hard, I removed the cap and could see the filter was not installed properly. Who ever did the last oil change did not snap the filter down on the base of the cap and thus forced it into the hole. The filter spun and twisted bad. It looked like it was cutting off oil. Make sure that if you do or have anyone else do your oil change to make sure they snap the filter in place first. I am not even sure how they got the cap to start to thread without doing this bit they did. The question I have is my GT is modified and it still cuts off fuel at wot so I can get oil pressure before starting the car but his car also modified started when I was full throttle . Why is that? I was quick to get off the throttle because I was afraid that would happen.

K

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
IDK the answer, but I can tell you the technique the GT Guys use to build oil pressure. Right hand on key. Press starter button with left hand.

If the engine starts at WOT, you can turn the key off as fast as your reaction time.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
IDK the answer, but I can tell you the technique the GT Guys use to build oil pressure. Right hand on key. Press starter button with left hand.

If the engine starts at WOT, you can turn the key off as fast as your reaction time.

The first time I did the wot with my car it worked and did not start but I was always wondering to myself if it was going to start. With his car I was already worried it would start so as soon as I heard it fire I was off the throttle faster than doing 2 things. I used to cut 01 to 04 lights lol.

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I'm in the process of engine and transaxle oil change. For you guys that are experts - what's the preferred thread sealer on the the drain plugs?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I don't use any sealer, just torque them to the required 14 ft-lbs. Never had a leak.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I don't use any sealer, just torque them to the required 14 ft-lbs. Never had a leak.

Same here. Between my GT and others, probably used the drain plugs without sealer 10 times. No leaks.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
I'm in the process of engine and transaxle oil change. For you guys that are experts - what's the preferred thread sealer on the the drain plugs?

We never use teflon tape on plugs that insert into aluminum, oil pans, transmissions, etc. This could actually crack the housing by putting pressure outwardly on the opening - we found this happened (too late) on a '95 "R" model mustang Tremec.
If you must use someting use liquid pipe sealant.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
If the plug is leaking, just replace the washer. A new copper washer or bonded rubber washer work great.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If the plug is leaking, just replace the washer. A new copper washer or bonded rubber washer work great.

Any suggestions for where to get a new washer? The stock one fits less than ideal.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Any suggestions for where to get a new washer? The stock one fits less than ideal.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-097-021-AutoGrade-Rubber-Gasket/dp/B000CIQY78

This is a box of 25. Its a 12mm. Many auto parts shops have carded ones with 2 or 4 in a package. I keep a box of these and a box of the 14mm (097-025) ones on hand and they fit 90+% of the cars, bikes, trucks and stationary equipment I ever work on.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-097-021-AutoGrade-Rubber-Gasket/dp/B000CIQY78

This is a box of 25. Its a 12mm. Many auto parts shops have carded ones with 2 or 4 in a package. I keep a box of these and a box of the 14mm (097-025) ones on hand and they fit 90+% of the cars, bikes, trucks and stationary equipment I ever work on.

Sorry for some reason I thought the discussion was on the transaxle plugs. Those are much larger and the washers are a little loose (too big) IMO.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Oops, sorry. Thought you were speaking of the oil drain plugs. Don't know what size the trans plug is off hand.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
The first time I did the wot with my car it worked and did not start but I was always wondering to myself if it was going to start. With his car I was already worried it would start so as soon as I heard it fire I was off the throttle faster than doing 2 things. I used to cut 01 to 04 lights lol.

SMOKDU, If the engine starts while you are performing the oil prime operation - you are doing it WRONG! Follow the prescribed priming operation per Ford's direction and the engine will not start and only prime the oil system which is what you want.

As pointed out to many new owners the search function of this Fourm is your friend. Many, many technical topics have been discussed over the years.

See post #13 and #15
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/14187-Changing-the-oil/page2?highlight=oil+prime

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Accufab have a new super fine wire mesh filter for the GT's that will be the norm for my car on next change.

They don't like the way the current filter works and have found issues that needed attention.

It's only a recent addition to their GT parts, so not sure it's been updated to their site.

Wish I'd taken a pic when there yesterday (grabbing half shaft bolts) to have shown you, very trick indeed.

Stuart

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
SMOKDU, If the engine starts while you are performing the oil prime operation - you are doing it WRONG! Follow the prescribed priming operation per Ford's direction and the engine will not start and only prime the oil system which is what you want.

Having worked on more that 100 unique GT's..... I've never had one try to start during the priming procedure.