Octane Booster

Tomcat

GT Owner
I figured people on here would have educated/analytic experience.
I am looking for first hand experience in octane boosters. My boat engine builder says 91-92 octane. As the subject line says, my local marinas only seem to carry mostly 87. After some research, I have decided to keep some BOOSTane (Marine) octane booster in the boat. According to the mix charts, I should be able to use 1/3 ounce per gallon (one ounce per 3 gallons) to boost 4-5 boost numbers (from 87 to 91/92).
Has anyone successfully (or more importantly un-successfully) utilized this product as described? I have read also about octane "points" vs "full numbers"...
Thanks!
Ps-I have looked at at least 5 brands
Marine Boostane
Aces IV
TORCO F500010TE Unleaded Fuel Accelerator
RaceGas
VP Octanium® Unleaded Octane Booster
Klots

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
How could such a tiny volume of Octane boost bump 3 gallons that much?

Because boats use so much fuel, I would add 5 gallons of toluene to a hundred gallon tank hoping for 1-2 points.

The irony is 92 Octane is pretty available on bodies of fresh water but non-existent on salt water.

TOLUENE APPLICATIONS IN VEHICLE ADDITIVES
Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 are how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Toluene has a sensitivity rating of 14 (RON: 121-107 MON). This compares favorably with alcohols, which have sensitivities in the 20 to 30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
I used Torco for several years in a GT500, to make 100 octane. Never had any issues, but did turn plugs orange. I eventually switched to E85 in the GT500, but do still put a can of Torco in my old Mach1, when that goes to the 1/4 mile. It does what it says from my experience.

Last edited:

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I thought it was "points" too, not whole numbers.

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Agree with GT@50... Most of the commercial octane boosters I've seen are in "points" which are tenths, 10.0 to 10.1 and NOT 10.0 to 11.0. That's a lot of octane booster for a full tanks of gas. Almost cost me the engine in a supercharged Viper I used to own.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have been careful to make sure its full octane #s not points (1/10 of a number).

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Torco accelerator and VP octanium both work well. I would choose either one and follow the mixing instructions. Boostane is another good option

Tomcat

GT Owner
Torco accelerator and VP octanium both work well. I would choose either one and follow the mixing instructions. Boostane is another good option
Thanks Torrie. Aren't you in St. Augustine, FL. (boat country)? Mine is in Pensacola.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yes sir I am.

Reactions: Tomcat

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
"Boostane has an app for calculating the mixture. But your 1oz to 3gal looks like the correct mixture to bump to 92 octane. "

What is it? NitroMethane? Even then, No way one oz is going to boost 3 gallons from 87 to 92. Proceed at your own risk.