No power steering on a cold start

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I’ve been noticing more frequently that my car has no power steering on startup after it’s been sitting for a few days. Once it’s warm, no issues. It’s almost like a valve is stuck closed, then opens and the power steering is normal. This condition sometimes last for 30 seconds other times less than 5. Has anyone else experienced this?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
I’ve been noticing more frequently that my car has no power steering on startup after it’s been sitting for a few days. Once it’s warm, no issues. It’s almost like a valve is stuck closed, then opens and the power steering is normal. This condition sometimes last for 30 seconds other times less than 5. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hey Kevin,

Next time this happens try putting in drive or reverse and see it power steering comes back and let me know if it does.

Joe

Reactions: Special K

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Hey Kevin,

Next time this happens try putting in drive or reverse and see it power steering comes back and let me know if it does.

Joe
That has solved it for me before, I just didn’t make the connection. Is there an explanation for it?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
That has solved it for me before, I just didn’t make the connection. Is there an explanation for it?

Kevin, looking into it .....not sure why certain parts of the hydraulic system is being locked out after a car sets for a long time.......I will get back to you when I find out....

Joe

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I noticed the same thing and while the car was at the service dealer for my last warranty run through they got response from Multimatic that it is s normal. Most guys don’t try to turn wheels before it is functional. They timed it and the longest delay was 22 seconds. I never move until the start mode is completed so no big deal. Just a habit I have to crack the wheels back and forth as soon as it starts, now I know to wait 😁.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
I noticed the same thing and while the car was at the service dealer for my last warranty run through they got response from Multimatic that it is s normal. Most guys don’t try to turn wheels before it is functional. They timed it and the longest delay was 22 seconds. I never move until the start mode is completed so no big deal. Just a habit I have to crack the wheels back and forth as soon as it starts, now I know to wait 😁.

I have noticed it as well and my best guess is that on start up (after sitting for a few days) the hydraulic pressure drops and when you restart the car hydraulic pressure starts to builds up and locks out non essential items such as power steering until you put the transmission in gear.......remember the hydraulic system in these cars are used for suspension, power steering and the areo......the hydraulic system has an electric motor and stores hydraulic pressure in an accumulator and the pressure are 1000 psi +/- so I think the 1st system it would supply hydraulic pressure to is the suspension.....(so after restart track mode is readily available) 2nd is the aero rear wing and coal air chute and after placing the transmission in gear 3rd power steering. But as of right at this moment I can not confirm this to be the case.....I will confirm and let you guys know.

Joe

Reactions: BtwoG and Simon

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
I have noticed it as well and my best guess is that on start up (after sitting for a few days) the hydraulic pressure drops and when you restart the car hydraulic pressure starts to builds up and locks out non essential items such as power steering until you put the transmission in gear.......remember the hydraulic system in these cars are used for suspension, power steering and the areo......the hydraulic system has an electric motor and stores hydraulic pressure in an accumulator and the pressure are 1000 psi +/- so I think the 1st system it would supply hydraulic pressure to is the suspension.....(so after restart track mode is readily available) 2nd is the aero rear wing and coal air chute and after placing the transmission in gear 3rd power steering. But as of right at this moment I can not confirm this to be the case.....I will confirm and let you guys know.

Joe

This is the replay from ford.

Comment From: DEALER Comment Date: Feb-22-2021 12:47:45
Made an outbound phone call and talked to Joe. There is a concern of a delay in the power steering after the vehicle is started after sitting for several days. Also, the nose up does not operate with the transmission in reverse. There are not any DTCs setting. [DEALER][PHONE]
Comment From: Ford Comment Date: Feb-22-2021 12:47:45
Joe,
As we discussed, it is normal to have a delay in the power steering after the vehicle has been sitting for several days. As the vehicle sits, the hydraulic pressure will bleed down. The power steering is pressurized by the hydraulic pump and not the accumulator. Therefore, it does take some time for the power steering system to rebuild pressure after sitting.

It may be normal for the nose up not to operate while the transmission is placed in reverse. You should be able to nose up then place the transmission in reverse and back up with the nose up.

Recommend comparing the operation of the nose up to a like vehicle.

Since further technical assistance is not required, I will not set a follow up call. If you have any additional questions, please update this form and I will call you back.

So the power steering doesn't receive any pressure from the accumulator but only from the electric pump, and all the stored engery in the accumulator is for the areo and suspension.

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
Mine does the same thing. My first thought was it might be the color.....but after reading below, I see there is a more logical explanation :LOL: