No More SAE Newsletters

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I received this announcement this morning -

It's too bad, as I found many of their announcements informative and interesting.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Strange, Ralphie, and disappointing. There has been some good info about the Ford GTs over the years, and plenty of good stuff about various performance and racing cars, as well as good insight to evolving automotive technology. Will be a shame to miss that.

I just renewed my membership, fortunately at no cost. ( Age does have some benefits, I guess.) I kind of got out of cycle with their renewal process, so I'll have to see what kind of info they send me. If this means they will not be publishing any ( print ) automotive product and technical papers, that will be a bad thing. I have noticed their Journal, as well as ASME's get thinner and thinner, and fully expect them to be eliminated in the not to distant future. I am a reader, not a button-pusher, so non-printed stuff is not good for me.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
All professional journals are pushing this. Personally I prefer hard copy in the bathroom.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Bill - I am a 35 year member of SAE... But, I still have to pay each year to stay a member... !!
How do you do it ? ie, be a member for free? You must be Special :):)

I receive the hard copy "SAE Automotive Engineering" each month. ( you can choose from several magazines ) or get more than one if you pay for them.
February is 36 pages. It has the article on Gorilla Glass on page 8-10.
I have not seen any notice that they will stop the ''print' edition.

My wife and I sponsor the University of Pittsburgh FSAE race team , support the Science and Technology Forum and attend some of the SAE unveilings (Mustang / F-150/ Superduty next month) that are held here in Detroit.

andy (ajb)

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Andy,

Great you guys are so active. Keep it up! From experience, SAE can be a great motivator of undergraduates.

Regarding "free" membership, it must be old age.

Bill

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Interestingly enough, I received an SAE Newsletter e-mail today -

View attachment 41451

and what's more interesting is the date on this newsletter - April 12-14. 2016

So - - - I really don't know what is going on....

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Ralphie,
I think the April date is for the World Congress and Exhibition highlighted in the banner.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Ralphie,
I think the April date is for the World Congress and Exhibition highlighted in the banner.

Yes - You're absolutely right.

I got another newsletter today, so I don't know where or how that 1st notice came from, as the only thing that I can see is a revision of the format of the newsletters -

View attachment 41459