No Boost In 5th and 6th only

TOM BSKI

Apr 8, 2007
Anyone experience a loss of boost ONLY in 5th and 6th gear at highway speeds? Had faults for IAT and ECT sensors, replaced and no more codes but still acting up. 1st-4th gear are fine but the boost needle stays dead in 5th and 6th and has no power. Very frustrating, please help.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I'd love to feel boost in 5 and 6 too but I'm chicken of the cops.

Reactions: PeteK

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
That’s weird. As far as I know, there are no sensors on the transmission that signal the ECU what gear you’re in. Boost should only respond to your right foot. Are you sure it’s not related to RPM instead of gear? Do some testing at the same RPM in all gears.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As far as I know, there are no sensors on the transmission that signal the ECU what gear you’re in.

That's correct, Pete. The GT hasn't a clue what gear it's in so something else is going on here. OP - are you shifting from 4-5 under full boost (in 4th)? If so, what if you try just rowing up through the gears into 5th and then going WOT there? Any differences?

You might try to zip-tie / tape / bailing wire a GoPro or similar in the engine compartment and focus on the bypass solenoid. It would be interesting to see if this is the culprit - but then the harder part is in trying to determine why. So, while recording, it would be interesting to capture different scenarios in order to narrow down how/why this is happening.