New Track Day Car

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I've been thinking about getting more into track day events and learning more about how to drive a car fast around a track. Really enjoyed the last two GT Rally's but after taking an off track spin at NOLA I was hesitant to continue my learning experience using my Heritage GT as my track day car. Looked like a getting a car that had an OK horsepower/weight, but that excelled in handling would be a perfect car for me to learn with. Since Rally VII I've been looking around on the internet and reading various car forums and finally pulled the trigger on one this week.

Hopefully next week I'll take delivery on a 2012 Porsche Cayman R. This is a one owner car that has pretty much everything I was looking for and I think will be a great car to learn in. I plan on doing both autocross, DE and track days with this car and try and get my wife out to some of the events (maybe even driving in a few). Although not in the same league as Rocketman or his GT3, this car does seem to hold it's own only held back by the driver's skill (which mine is on the lowest rung of the ladder).

Spinning out in this one shouldn't cause the same pucker factor I felt sliding backwards at NOLA. At least with this car when I call and tell my wife I spun on the track she won't ask first how the car is, did it get any scratches and then lastly ask if I was OK!!

image_thumb01.jpgimage_thumb07.jpgimage_thumb13.jpg

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Good for you Magic. You worked hard and it's great to see you now working hard at playing and enjoying it to the max. ENJOY!!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Great looking car. Enjoy it my friend. You will be a pro in no time...

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Congrats. I am also planning on more track time next year. Hope to see you at the road course.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Remember to bring a vacuum cleaner in your trailer next time. You should order the fire suppression system for you Cayman like we have on the GTs. Same place makes them. Should have gotten a RED one.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Since everything comes as an option on Porsche I did look for the auto vacuum option, but couldn't find a car with that on it! Yes I'm still vacuuming grass out of my GT interior! :facepalm: At a recent car show a lady came up and asked if the car had ever been out on the track. I opened the door and showed her the various bits of grass still clinging to my interior. She got a kick out of that.:rofl

Guess I'll start off learning with the slower color (Peridot) and then when I'm a master driver like you Frank I can move up to a red colored car.:cheers
Remember to bring a vacuum cleaner in your trailer next time. You should order the fire suppression system for you Cayman like we have on the GTs. Same place makes them. Should have gotten a RED one.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Magic,
A wise choice grasshopper!The Porsche club is the largest car club in the world! They have tons and I mean tons of Drivers Ed .Find the best instructor you can and try to stick with him or her as much as possible.The Cayman is a great affordable (relatively speaking) track car.I recently drove a spec Cayman at the track and was very impressed.You are in for a great time! Enjoy! Let me know if I can help you in anyway.I know PCA people everywhere. A friend of mine in Texas specializes in used GT3 cup cars and knows everyone.
Re read my post for track newbies b4 you go .
MERRY NEW YEAR!
My best regards,Ron

Attachments

• viewer.jpg
    viewer.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Glad you didn't wad up that beautiful Heritage and got the Cayman to beat as your track car. It is kind of ironic that as Ford owners we can shrug and say, eh, it's just a Porsche. :lol

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Good decision. I went thru a similar decision after I saw someone ball up a GT at a Shelby event at Road America a couple of years ago. Retired the GT from the track and bought a 993. I think the whole car is less $ than a fender and a headlight on the GT. Now I need to get back to the track.
468044d1282192082-post-your-rs-style-cars-its-not-for-the-purist-dsc00043-large-.jpg

Last edited:

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
It is kind of ironic that as Ford owners we can shrug and say, eh, it's just a Porsche. :lol

:lol:biggrin

Congrats on a beautiful car .... :thumbsup

:cheers
Anders

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Cool. I was thinking of a little less pricey track car too , though I just love taking my GT on the track

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Congratulations Magic, my wife has a 2012 "Black Edition" Cayman and it is a lot of fun to drive. I havent had it on a track I but hear they are a hoot on the race track

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
That's a beautiful car, Gary. Congratulations.