New LeMans bop adjustments

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
http://www.onpitroad.com/?p=30369

Ford was also affected with the changes, but in a more positive manner. After having 2o kilograms of ballast shaved off its four Ford GT challengers before the test day, the sanctioning body has taken off an additional five kilograms, or now 25 kgs in total in advance of the race outing off the minimum required weight.

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
" For instance, during the initial entry list reveal press conference in Paris in February of 2015, the master of ceremonies promoted Ford’s return to Le Mans in 2016, months before it was officially announced. In addition during the race festivities, Bill Ford, the current head of Ford in North America waved the French tricolor to start last year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.

So based on those two facts, it would seem that the Le Mans event organizers and the FIA-ACO seem to have a lot riding on a successful effort by Ford next weekend, "

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I think that the author was reading too much into his article. BOP is a scale, and as with most scales, things change from time to time.

Ford was shown a gracious welcome by the ACO, FIA and WEC as a new player who made a long term commitment to race.

I, and many others, are hoping for a good result for Ford, CGR and Multimatic in the 24 at LeMans, and fir each and every race they enter.

Go Blu!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
As I understand the Fords are still giving up a bunch of HP and weight to the field. Hope not so much that the car's don't have the opportunity to "race" for the win.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
This article is very short sighted because of the many restrictions Ford has been handed before this last adjustment. Ford has been running at an extreme disadvantage IMO. That being said...
A couple things to think about. We have four cars in the race and with any issues from other teams this will give Ford more chances of keeping car(s) rolling on track, and...
The big secret in my opinion for Ford's advantage: :secret:
Because the powers that be have somewhat crippled the GTs with restricted boost and air, :thumbsdow the GTs will be limited in acceleration out of the turns. I feel Ford's real ace in the hole is that they are be able to keep much better momentum because of the superior aero design, where they will not have to rely on regaining speed after turns. My personal opinion is where Ford has been holding back and this is going to give Ford a much bigger advantage than anyone really could calculate, (including the powers to be) and will be the definitive thing that will make the GTs dominate at Le Mans. This will be what carries us over the finish line to Glory once again! I predict a win by large margin. :biggrin
I realize this is a long race, but I'm really excited for us (Ford). :thumbsup
And who cares if this guy thinks he had a point as long as Ford wins next week. :tongue

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I feel Ford's real ace in the hole is that they are be able to keep much better momentum because of the superior aero design, where they will not have to rely on regaining speed after turns.

As I understand it, the design and engineering philosophy historically beneficial for the original GT40 as well was the advanced aero design.

So many unknown variables, is what keeps it all interesting! I can't wait...

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
I hope you're right. Either way the GTE class is some of the most competitive sports car racing in the world with great teams, cars & drivers. Should make for an exciting race nonetheless.