New Heat Shields

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Wow... these things are crazy. Inconel shielding for the entire exhaust. I can reach down and put my palm on the frame 3 inches from the header it's pleasantly warm... after 45 minutes of abuse on the highway. Before these heat shield were installed, I could easily singe my eyebrows if I opened the clamshell to quickly.

First the Christmas lights now I've Bedazzled my exhaust... what next :eek

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Where did you get those?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
My turner made them. Shawn Fischer

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
They look like they were very hard to get on. Would wrapping them been easier?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Not sure about wrapping with inconel, I'm just not that familiar with different products available with inconel. I can tell you that the results with this system are very impressive so far.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The wrap is not Inconel. It is fabric. Inconel is great for exhaust valves, heavy but strong.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hi Guys,

An exhaust component made from Inconel tends to be a lighter part because Inconel is so much stronger when at operating temp than other steel like metals. The part usually ends up lighter because it can be designed and constructed out of thinner material due to the strength increase. The example is that pro racing exhaust headers are usually made of Inconel (cost an arm and a leg). They are extremely thin walled to save weight but remain strong and don't sag when glowing red hot. They are thin enough that on the dyno when glowing red, you can put you hand on the other side of the primary tube, wave your fingers, and see them moving! Pretty wild.

The shields are approx 2 thousandths of an inch thick Inconel with a thin ceramic blanket sandwiched between the two Inconel layers of the shields. They're very light weight. They're custom formed and tacked for a specific exhaust system to ensure proper fitment.

Some people use 304ss shield material... it will knock the heat down almost as well and cost less but 304 will become brittle crack where the Inconel won't.

We saw a 100 degree F temp decrease of the frame structure and other engine compartment components... latches that were too hot to hold on to now are only warm to the touch.

Cheers

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I run Inconel Exhaust valves in my BBF boat engines. The 1.88" exhaust valve weighs the same as the 2.40" stainless intake valve. Both made by Manley, both have the same stem diameter and length and sweep of the valve backcut and face.

Probably not really comparing apples to apples so I add this as an addendum to my post #6.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
My guess would be that the intake is a hollow stem??

All the best

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My guess would be that the intake is a hollow stem??

All the best

Nope. Both solid. They are endurance engines, if you can consider 4.5" stroke and 4.625" bore an endurance size.

I am guessing you have a Manley catalog. I am not a metallurgist and I am only telling of my experience in Inconel which is the Exhaust valve of choice for big offshore boat motors.. Boat Drag racing is another ball of wax...or maybe more accurately, Titanium.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Nope. Both solid. They are endurance engines, if you can consider 4.5" stroke and 4.625" bore an endurance size.

I am guessing you have a Manley catalog. I am not a metallurgist and I am only telling of my experience in Inconel which is the Exhaust valve of choice for big offshore boat motors.. Boat Drag racing is another ball of wax...or maybe more accurately, Titanium.

Interesting... That's a substantially larger valve for no weight gain. I know Inconel is slightly heavier but it’s not a tremendous amount heavier... If I remember right both of their specific gravities are right around 8. Pretty cool that they could build a bigger valve at the same weight... smaller stem then I'm guessing? After that I'm out of guesses :)

Anyway... cool stuff none the less. Sounds like you got some $ in your boat motor :) Must be a pretty healthy motor!

All the best

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yeah I am proud of them. Big Fords A-cylinder heads (1988 vintage design SVO heads) 9 to 1 compression with one big 1250 dominator. 875 horse at 6400 RPM on pump gas.

I think the whole Inconel thing is about extreme strength. Marine motors take a beating and never get a rest. Combined with bad fuel and nowadays ethanol additive, the Inconel valves were the only ones holding up to the beating they take.

MoTeC Magic

Spectator
Aug 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yeah I am proud of them. Big Fords A-cylinder heads (1988 vintage design SVO heads) 9 to 1 compression with one big 1250 dominator. 875 horse at 6400 RPM on pump gas.

I think the whole Inconel thing is about extreme strength. Marine motors take a beating and never get a rest. Combined with bad fuel and nowadays ethanol additive, the Inconel valves were the only ones holding up to the beating they take.

Yep... same reason they're used for the exhaust shields... just an overall better material.

Have fun with the boat :)