New GT, foul weather weekend, idle time in garage......

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Having just gotten the GT from Elite this week, I wanted to spend the weekend bonding with it, so to speak. Since Shelby shipped it in pristine detailed condition, there was very little detailing or cleaning that could be done. So....

Some time back, I purchased from Shadowman a new subwoofer enclosure and started accumulating the remaining parts to do a sub relocate. I had actually started this down this road for the first GT. I never really intended to do the project starting on my second day with the car but....I just had to spend time with it and the weather was not going to let it out of the garage the remainder of the weekend so....

6970268253_42c0de5ede_b.jpg

6970266299_9453ddec60_b.jpg

6824143996_aced04fab6_b.jpg

I'd like to thank Shadowman for the very detailed instructions and the considerable research and planning that went into making the project work. Oh, and the sub enclosure is a work of art, very nicely done and the end product truly looks like it should have come that way from Ford. I actually think it sounds BETTER in its new location. It was a lot of work but a very rewarding end result and a great way to spend a rainy weekend with a new GT in the house.

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
Nice Hot Buttons!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nice Hot Buttons!

Why YES they are and they would look even better with the matching seat inserts. :)

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Can you give us an idea of hours spent and dollars spent to do this?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Nice work James. Great pics and post

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Can you give us an idea of hours spent and dollars spent to do this?

the most expensive piece is the new center console... Stormcat had some made in CF or you can get a "non-speaker" one from Torrie.. I can't remember the exact price but it was ~$1k - $1.5k?
second item of expense is the Speaker box I picked up from Shadowman ~$400
The rest of it is aluminum and minor components (less than $20)

Time - ~6-8hr's

Use the search engine on the Forum -ViperJoe started this upgrade back in 06.... here are a few links...

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-like-the-OEM-sub-location&highlight=relocate
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...iber-Console-Install/page2&highlight=relocate
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...Sub-Relocation-My-Solution&highlight=relocate

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Relocating the Big Mac was my very first modification and IMO a huge improvement over the stock boombox. Shadowman was the brain behind the project and also facilitated production of the new sub enclosure; I was the grunt. The write-up is attached to this post. Good luck .....

Attachments

• Mac Instructions Rev 8.doc
    55 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Being as this was the first time doing this project for me, I took my time, especially with removal of the center console. All in, about 8 hrs over two days. I do not have facilities to form or properly cut heavy aluminum sheet so I ordered the two pieces required already cut to the correct dimensions from OnlineMetals.com. Was about $65 delivered. A trip to Home Depot for the metric fastners required and WalMart for the black sail cloth, black cord for the cargo net loops, black upholstry thread and spray adhesive. (less than $20) I did the modifications to the cargo nets myself so no extra cost there.

Hardest part was installing the completed panels, nudging them into position under the lip and behind the b-pillar trim panels. One of the bolts through the sub enclosure, panel and into the firewall was a challenge for my large hands and did require use of certian words, but it was not Sunday :) and help from above finally came and the bolt went in. Not all that hard a project at all if you are even slightly handy with tools. Well thought out instructions made it possible to follow in others footsteps. I could never have come up with all the details Shadowman has in there.