New addition: Porsche 914/6 GT

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Hi guys,

do we have any guys here with an addiction towards air-cooled midengined german metal from the 70s ? I have been dreaming of those since I was a child and now an opportunity came up I couldn't miss. Since last week I am a proud owner of this 1970 Porsche 914/6 GT with a 993 engine (converted to 46 IDA carbs, said to have a bit more than 300hp ...), 915 trans and a lot of other things. The car has been converted and raced in the US by Deman NewYork and was imported back to germany in 2003 or 2004. Sorry for the bad pictures, car is not registered yet and I didn't had much time for the photos.

I would be happy to hear who is also into these cars.

Matthias

DSC02156.jpg

DSC02170.jpg

DSC02171.jpg

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02172.jpg

DSC02178.jpg

DSC02175.jpg

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Very cool!! The rollbar is a great addition. Looks like you're going to have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much fun carving canyons! :cool

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Funny note: Seller and me were taking a small tour when he put the right foot down and said "Not bad, is it ?" and I said "quite ok, but I am used to a more intensive kick into the back". Of course I had to explain some things later :)

The car is quite loud, even louder than the FGT. This is something I might have to address in the future, the miss most probably not going to like it. The cars history is race, very hard suspension, loud, heavy steering, racing seats, 5 point harness, roll cage, etc.

I still need to adapt to it

Last edited:

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Great and fun little car! You'll have a blast with that one!

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Where is the engine ?

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Forgot to take photo :facepalm:

Going to deliver when car is registered.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
I bought a 1.7 new in 1974 I believe. I lived in Las Vegas at the time and going up to any kind of altitude like Lake Mead or Mt. Charleston it would stop dead on me with vapor lock. Wait 1/2 hour or so and it would start up again. The dealership moved the fuel pump numerous times front to back to front and couldn't find a cure for it. Was a fun little car that I could get to drift on a long sweeping entrance ramp to the highway on my way home from work. Brand new 911's were around $13,000 at the time. Enjoy the new toy.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I owned a string of 914's, including one that I "raced" in the Porsche clubs 20+ years ago. One of the greatest track cars ever made. I almost bought a 914-6 at that time, but passed on it. Wish I had it now! The prices have gone even more nuts than most other exotics.

Some suggestions: If this car has the original "rear shifter" transmission, swap it for a "side shifter" tranny and shift linkage. It's much more direct and helps prevent finding the wrong gear. VERY carefully inspect the frame area under the battery box. This area usually rusted badly due to battery acid dripping and running down into that area. Since it was a race car, it might not have that issue. If the frame rails under the doors have not been reinforced, that could be a future project, but with a roll cage in it, the body might already be stiff enough.

These cars have a very low polar moment of inertia and will spin quickly when the tires let go. Get used to it and practice breaking it loose and recovering someplace safe.

And drive the damn thing! You know my signature line...

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Rick Deman does great work, I've been to his shop a number of times, have sent a number of friends to him to do work on their cars, he's definitely "de man"!!!!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Thanks for your tips. Car has been reinforced in the usual areas, the 915 transmission (Original is 901) has quite a good shifter (WEVO).

Practicing driving with it is next on my list ;)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
914s seem to be making a comeback with enthusiasts. We had two delivered here early this year, both orange. Saw a good looking white one out driving last night.

Cool little cars! Yours looks great and should be a blast!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Clean ones are as rare as unmolested 5.0 Fox body Mustangs.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Congrats. Sounds like an awesome new undertaking. Enjoy.

Vince H

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Added some more photos. Engine compartment is quite clean, not much to see.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Totally agree. 5 years ago everybody treated them like a bastard child because of the combined VW/Porsche history. Luckily these days they got the deserved comeback. At same power levels they offer a much more competitive overall package than rear engined porsches.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
That sucka's CLEAN!!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nice!
You could say I like P cars! Especially ones that go on the track!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 71

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Certainly a nice one:)