Multimatic Tour 2022

Durward1

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2011
South Dakota
Guys, my car was built in 2020 in the middle of Covid, so I missed seeing my own car being built. However, Multimatic has started allowing owners to come up to Toronto and tour the factory. Ed the FordGT concierge arranged mine.
Together with my son and 2 friends, after a Walgreens free covid test the day before, we got through the Canadian border without too much hassle on Thursday. We rented a car, and stayed at a hotel a half hour from the airport, and 5 minutes from the factory.
Our tour was undertaken by Pearce, and lasted over 2 hours. We saw most of the production facility, from carbon fiber parts fabrication, marrying the tub, through electric wiring and module installation, attaching the engine (from Roush in Michigan) and transmission (Getrag), painting, to quality control and checks. The latter process is extraordinary in my opinion. All the work hands on by master-craftsmen, all busy.
I was surprised by how much is accomplished in a relatively small area, and how clean it is. The cars we all own are built extraordinarily well by people who are clearly proud of the work they do. The final run of 200 cars has 3 gorgeous heritage editions, along with multiple other liveries that made me feel jealous!!
We got a Covid test to return to the USA from a drug store chain, no problem, and inexpensive.
The only caution I would add is that you have to be fully vaccinnated to enter Canada, and the ArriveCan App upon you register your information needs you to nominate a place you can quarantine should you test positive for Covid while in Canada. I just named my hotel. We flew back yesterday.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the update. I need to catch up on my visit as well. I'll probably wait until it's a little warmer:)

Is there still a notion of a Forum event there as well?

Reactions: canibl

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Oh that is great news Durward1! Would love a tour.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I’m still interested in a visit as well! Missed mine due to covid related restrictions.

GT Power

Ford GT Team Alumni
Mar 17, 2021
The Multimatic team is a class act, I have made the trip up there numerous times helping support the program and have always been impressed with their passion for the product and their attention to detail.

Make time and go for the tour, this program is in it’s final leg and you may never get another opportunity to see these beautiful cars being assembled.

While Roush was heavily involved in the development of the GT, the GT engines are actually assembled by PAS in Livonia, MI. PAS is a joint venture partner with Roush.

Reactions: JWZ and Special K

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The tour was a highlight of NGT ownership. Amazing to see how the cars are built.

Ed

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
No one has been there more than Terry (she got legs)

Reactions: 93extxdps

Angelo P

Jul 21, 2011
I went for the tour last month and its a must. They showed us around the plant and I got to see my 2022 GT being built. If you can plan the trip do so.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
The entire family enjoyed the tour and the chinese restaurants in the area were a treat. Do not miss it!

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
I have my tour scheduled for May 10th. N082. Looking forward to it, even though I have been there before during the program development. It’s kinda different when your own car is sitting there on the line!

Last edited:
Reactions: extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I have my tour scheduled for May 10th. N082. Looking forward to it, even though I have been there before during the program development. It’s kinda different when your own car is sitting there on the line!

Heck yeah! :cool:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Anyone specific at Multimatic that we should reach out to in order to make this happen? Contact info?

Missed out on my car due to Covid, but sure would like to see the process and the technology involved.

Reactions: KennethClay

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Talk to Pearce.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Anyone specific at Multimatic that we should reach out to in order to make this happen? Contact info?

Missed out on my car due to Covid, but sure would like to see the process and the technology involved.
Me, too. Let me know what you find out (and/or, when you're going). I'd love a tour as well.

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
Talk to the Concierge, maybe they can help? That is who is arranging mine. Delivery scheduled for end Of May! Getting excited now!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I had several near misses with my new GT when I took that tour back in 2017. I was in Detroit before going up to Multimatic where I thought I'd see my new GT for the first time. When I got to Multimatic they told me my GT had been shipped the day before and the first place the truck would be stopping was at Dave's garage in Troy, MI that I had just left! The tour was great, Larry Holt took time out of his day to show us around, and Terry Cord showed me around the area. Then I flew to Laguna Seca to see the IMSA GT's race and I found out the truck with my GT in it was delivering a GT just a few miles away but I couldn't get away to see it there either. The day after the race I drove down to Rancho Santa Margarita where I would take delivery of my GT the following day. My buddy Jim Graham put me up at his home the night before and then drove me to his Ford dealership where I finally got to see my new GT. What a great week that was. And yeah, the new GT factory tour is awesome.

Chip

FB4.jpg

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Which airport did you fly into (was it Lester B. Pearson International Airport), and does anyone have a hotel recommendation convenient in proximity to either Airport or Multimatic Factory? Thanks in advance for any additional travel tips!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Which airport did you fly into (was it Lester B. Pearson International Airport), and does anyone have a hotel recommendation convenient in proximity to either Airport or Multimatic Factory? Thanks in advance for any additional travel tips!
Hilton Suites Toronto/Markham Conference Center : 2.7km/6 min drive from Multimatic

8500 Warden Ave, Markham, Ontario, L6G 1A5, Canada
+1 905-470-8500

Sheraton Parkway Toronto North Hotel & Suites : 2.6km/5 min drive from Multimatic

9005 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1B2, Canada
+1 905-881-2121
These are the two recommended by concierge. I think we stayed at the Sheraton, but can’t remember.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thank you Special K. Much appreciated!

Reactions: Special K

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I confirmed that Lester B. Pearson International Airport is the preferred for standard commercial passenger jet flights into the Country.