MP3 CDs in Mac radio?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Can the Macintosh head unit play mp3 cds? Most of the Ford units of that era can but nothing in the owners manual about it and a search here did not turn up any info.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There's a long, old thread about this. Searching will help. The answer, in a nutshell, is no. Add the cable to the back of your Mac head unit and plug in anything you want using the Aux setting.

H

HHGT

I have turned my Radio on once.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have turned my Radio on once.

My Mac radio isn't even in the car anymore.

H

HHGT

My Mac radio isn't even in the car anymore.

Did you put it in your Beemer?:lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Did you put it in your Beemer?:lol

No. As bad as the eletronics in the Beemer are, the Mac is worst than the OEM BMW radio.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
There's a long, old thread about this. Searching will help. The answer, in a nutshell, is no. Add the cable to the back of your Mac head unit and plug in anything you want using the Aux setting.

Thanks for the answer even though it was not what I wanted to hear....could you point me to that old thread or recomend a search that will turn it up, I tried looking for it but did not find any discussion on the subject.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I burned a CD from songs I had in my Itunes. Various artists and songs all on one CD. The Mac stero deck played the entire CD without a problem.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I burned a CD from songs I had in my Itunes. Various artists and songs all on one CD. The Mac stero deck played the entire CD without a problem.

You probably burned a regular audio CD. A MP3 cd is a data disc with folders that open in finder/explorer with .mp3 files in them.

My Mustang would play them. I built one for a long trip and I think I know where it is. I'll drop it in over the long weekend to see what it does. I'm not too hopeful given the lack of controls on the Macintosh.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
it's basically a 15 minute mod. You use the stereo keys to slide out the mac, attach an RCA cable to the back, and then plug in your ipod or phone or zune. just tape up everything to avoid scratches.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...rd-about-removing-the-radio-to-install-cables

also go to "search" in the forum option bar and type in iPOD... there are quie a few threads about getting to the AUX cables....

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yeah, I may end up going that way plugging my Android phone into the harness. But would rather not have to plug it in when I get in the car nor have loose objects around. Also the UI on a cell phone or Ipod does not work well for driving. Don't want to be looking at tiny little print on a tiny little screen. If the head unit accepted an mp3 CD or SD card or USB would be fine.

Looks like will require replacing the head unit to get basic features. Just have to figure out how to accomplish that without hacking the wiring harness. Some research with the wiring and connector drawings on the service manual DVD might reveal some ideas. The photos around the forum do not look like a standard Ford connector but hard to see the one at the IP harness rather than the one on the back of the radio.