Motor Options for new SUPER car!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Any race car for Le Mans will be WAY less than 2,900 lbs. The Matech GT1 cars were 2,450 lbs....how does that compare to the street car ?

2005-06 GTs were ~3,450.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
GTE/LMGT minimum weight = 1245Kg (2744.8lbs).

Carbon fiber, magnesium and titanium body panels are not allowed (exceptions for specialty parts like spoilers and wheels, and a rigid CF cockpit not attached to the frame) so this isn't a source of a diet.

Of course the race car loses all of the fluffy stuff that doesn't contribute to making the car go. No air bags, radio & speakers. etc.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
it's gotta have a high hp number to sell to the public. The public doesn't look at curb weight....they look at hp.

And it's all they think about. Specifically they ignore weight:hp or the Hellcat wouldn't be any big deal.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
it's gotta have a high hp number to sell to the public. The public doesn't look at curb weight....they look at hp.

I would think buyers at the expected price point would be a little more sophisticated than that. Heavy cars don't stop and don't turn as well as a lighter counterpart with the same weight/HP ratio. If we are talking Hellcats I agree, if super cars all around performance should prevail.
No mater what the HP, who will bet that production does not sell out.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
My Caterham CSR 260 weighs in at 1360 lbs curb weight. About 40% less than my Heritage! Both are fun cars! :driving::cheers

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That is wrong that no one cares about weight, the media and people care about 0-60 and other performance metrics, which quickly flush out weight, especially if there are any curves involved, like the ring, or a magazine / tv show test track etc. And in the weight reference category, a 93-95 RX-7 only weighted 2650 wet with some fuel, and 255 hp.