Motor Options for new SUPER car!!!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
The motor deal is just very hard to swallow and figure out in the new upcoming supercar!!!

Key facts It has to make 780+ hp or it will make less than the new supercharged viper and that would blow...Hell cat is 700hp and Gt350 will be 550 most likely...
1. If its a 6cyl and is $400k+ it better be something really spectacular and still be 780hp+..
2. Vodoo 5.2 fpc motor 550-600Na. This would be acceptable i feel and i would be cool with it!
3. Twin turbo Coyote 850hp... This is the only motor that makes sense for reliabilty and i hear the raptor will have a eco boost coyote in it as there are already several of them running around!!

Here is my strong opinion today.... Its either going to be Twin Turbo Coyote or a Flat plane crank motor'd car. Im leaning towards the T.T Coyote deal.

How can they release a 550hp supercar in the era of 700+hp cars and have it acceptable...The race cars hands down will be a 3.5 eco boost that is a given with the Daytona Prototype program.

DISCUSS:biggrin

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What about a hybrid?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To race at Lemans it has to be 5l max for naturally aspirated and 4l for blown. That puts a practical limit on hp.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hybrid disallowed in lmgt/gte

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
doesnt have to be a production motor for lemans does it?? because all the Gt's that ran lemans were Na 5.0s built by Roush yates.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
How about a NA 5.2 Vodoo for the race car and a Turbo 5.2 Vodoo for the street car..:biggrin

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
doesnt have to be a production motor for lemans does it?? because all the Gt's that ran lemans were Na 5.0s built by Roush yates.

I re read the rules last week. The rules used to allow a different engine/trans in street vs race but now it says it has to be closer to street. So I read that you could change internals but not a whole new power train. Maybe someone else could ingerpret. If the bulk substitute were allowed you could do a large v8 for street and a turbo 6 for race. But the way I read it that isn't permitted any more.

note viper gets a bye on its 8l v 10 but the car was in production for many years with that before it was homologated for gte class

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I re read the rules last week. The rules used to allow a different engine/trans in street vs race but now it says it has to be closer to street. So I read that you could change internals but not a whole new power train. Maybe someone else could ingerpret. If the bulk substitute were allowed you could do a large v8 for street and a turbo 6 for race. But the way I read it that isn't permitted any more.

note viper gets a bye on its 8l v 10 but the car was in production for many years with that before it was homologated for gte class

man gonna be interesting to say the least come monday...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Na voodoo might be close enough FIA might give it to them. And it would sound right

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
I am still betting on an EcoBoost V6 with hybrid drive train, combined power could easily be in the 700 or greater range and if it is light enough who cares about the actual number.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
"enough" HP is a function of weight. Give us a 2900lb car with 700-ish HP and it will spank almost anything out there.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
"enough" HP is a function of weight. Give us a 2900lb car with 700-ish HP and it will spank almost anything out there.

Most cars now are vastly heavier than that. Plus, if you're Italian you get to lie your ass off about your curb weights.

Ferrari 458 Speciale
Dry: 2,843 lb
Curb: 3,075 lb
Weighed in real life: 3,331 lb

Aventador
Claimed Dry: 3,472 lb
Weighed in real life: 4,085 lbs

I did drive my MP4 over to the scales at one point and with some fuel in the car it weighed about ~3,220 lb, which is within reason given that FikseGTS weighed his around 3,120 with some of the lighter weight options and less fuel. 3,120 is very light for the real world at this point and explains why the MP4 and 650S murder most cars in a straight line.

If you're bringing a legitimate curb weight of 2900 lbs to the party in this segment, you will be beating some asses.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Exactly Kendall.

Curb weight is a huge part of the race car performance equation....

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
If you're bringing a legitimate curb weight of 2900 lbs to the party in this segment, you will be beating some asses.

Right up to the point that the sanctioning body puts equalizing formulas to work.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Right up to the point that the sanctioning body puts equalizing formulas to work.

Hey, you're talking race cars. I'm talking the unwashed masses that have to drive their cars on the street.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I am still betting on an EcoBoost V6 with hybrid drive train, combined power could easily be in the 700 or greater range and if it is light enough who cares about the actual number.

There's an understatement!

No real power metric for hybrid, and not easily measured/regulated, which is why it make for a such good powertrain solution.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
If the street car is a hybrid; I'm out!!
The problem with "italian weights" is that they somehow gain a few pounds making them US versions! The new Alfa 4C is a good example (gains 300lbs!)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This is definitely true, but that 3300+ lb Scud wasn't even a US spec car!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
it's gotta have a high hp number to sell to the public. The public doesn't look at curb weight....they look at hp.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Any race car for Le Mans will be WAY less than 2,900 lbs. The Matech GT1 cars were 2,450 lbs....how does that compare to the street car ?